• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

See Birmingham by Post Card

A very peaceful looking Five Ways at the turn of the century.

Attachments

• Edgbaston Five Ways 1904c.JPG
    Edgbaston Five Ways 1904c.JPG
    158.8 KB · Views: 14
Last edited by a moderator:
A bit different today, Stitcher!

Here's three undated ones from various parts of the city:-

The College, Saltley

Wake Green Road, Moseley - not that different from when I went to school there in the late 1940s/early 1950s

Grantham Road and Christ Church, Sparkbrook

Regards,

Maurice

Attachments

• Wake-Green-Road[1].jpg
    Wake-Green-Road[1].jpg
    196.2 KB · Views: 11
  • Saltley College.jpg
    Saltley College.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 12
  • Sparkbrook Grantham Rd.jpg
    Sparkbrook Grantham Rd.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 12
Here's another two for you:-

!st Southern General Hospital, Edgbaston - 1918

Tyburn Road - undated

Regards,

Maurice

Attachments

• 1st Southern Hospital.jpg
    1st Southern Hospital.jpg
    188 KB · Views: 12
  • Erdington Tyburn road[1].jpg
    Erdington Tyburn road[1].jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 13
Maurice

The Southern General Hospital in Edgbaston looks a very impressive building - do you know whereabouts in Edgbaston this was and the date?

Judy

Hi Judy,

From what little I know, Birmingham University was used as a VAD (Voluntary Aid Detachment) Hospital during the First World War and as this is definitely 1918, I presume the building to be the Uni. I've no doubt one of our experts will throw some more light on it soon!

Edit: Just found this which explains in a bit more detail:-

https://www.1914-1918.net/southerngen.htm

Regards,

Maurice

Judy:

Here's another postcard of the "1st Southern General". I have one of Highbury Hall used as a VAD Hospital too when I can find it.

Regards,

Maurice

Attachments

• img301.jpg
    img301.jpg
    197.1 KB · Views: 8
Here we go....

Regards,

Maurice

Attachments

• img302.jpg
    img302.jpg
    208.9 KB · Views: 6
Thank you Maurice. Now that I see the second photo of the 1st Southern General, I recognise it as the University. (I went to my first 'grown up' dance there when I was about 14 and thoroughly enjoyed it!)

Your link with the information made very interesting reading, and explains of course why all those people were in the grounds of the first postcard.

Judy

The new Civic Centre early fifties.

Attachments

• Digbeth Civic Centre High St .jpg
    Digbeth Civic Centre High St .jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 10
The Queen Elizabeth Hospital about 1952. I am amazed at how peaceful and quiet it seems, compared to todays hustle and bustle. I suppose the lack of cars is the reason.

Attachments

• Edgbaston QE Hospital.jpg
    Edgbaston QE Hospital.jpg
    179.5 KB · Views: 10
A nice view of a long gone part of Broad Street.

Phil

Attachments

• City Broad St National Savings Bank.jpg
    City Broad St National Savings Bank.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 17
Thank you Stitcher for the photo of the Q.E. a place close to my heart for everything it has done for my mrs.
I really like that style of , what I call, Metropolitan Architecture. You see it in all big cities, a show of pride and confidence by the councils. Despite the sub-standard additions of subsequent years the dignity still shows through.
I wish the New Buildings all the best but doubt they will look as splendid in 70 years time. One thing I am certain of however is that miracles will still be taking place within them.

A quiet day in Cannon Hill Park about 1991

Attachments

• Cannon Hill Park.jpg
    Cannon Hill Park.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 5
Who remembers this.

Attachments

• Alum Rock The Rock Cinema.jpg
    Alum Rock The Rock Cinema.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 8
I do Stitcher although I only went in there once to see Dr. Zhivago. It later went to a Bingo Hall, I think the building is still there but can't remember what it is used for now.

Hi Stitch,
My sister was an usherette at the Rock in the early 1950s.Needless to say I used to get in at a very special rate! Best seats in the house.
Bryan.

I must tell you sylviasayers and you landcrab, I never visited the Rock Cinema. I lived on the other side of Brum and frequented the Olton, The Warwick, The Robin Hood or the Rialto. We did sometimes go to the cinemas into town to see a film.

This massive building was where hairpins were manufactured. Alexandra Works. Lower Essex St and Kent st. Before ww2.
Will someone help me please. Should this type of post be on this thread or should they be on old photos or images?

Attachments

• Alexandra Works. Lower Essex St and Kent st. Before ww2..jpg
    Alexandra Works. Lower Essex St and Kent st. Before ww2..jpg
    218.6 KB · Views: 6
The Rock is gone (parking lot now by the looks of it) but amazingly the Heath, which ceased being a cinema before the fifties I think, is still there at the top of Bennets Road. A store now. Strange thing is I don't remember the Heath and only learned of it on here even though I must have walked past it many many times as a boy. Nice picture.

Will someone help me please. Should this type of post be on this thread or should they be on old photos or images?

Hi Trevor,
It's true your pics are not Post Cards as in the thread title so you could always start a good new thread in Old and New Brum Pictures. As the Mods seem happy with them here and folks are enjoying them why worry? If you took your pics to a new thread this one would probably take a rest as not many Post Cards have appeared lately. I must say I never thought it would run for so long when I started it off! Here or in a new thread we shall still carry on enjoying your input.
Mike

I do have a lot of different piccies Mike. Some are in books and I dont understand the copyright thingy. I tried to get permission awhile back to re-produce a picture from a book and the publishers were not around any longer. If a photo is used 'NOT FOR GAIN' is it classed as wrong?

Thats a tough one Trevor, Lloyd posted information on copyright a while back but it was hard to follow. I don't think any pictures posted on here can be be classed as for gain or reward in a monetary sense as none of the members earn anything from putting them on the Forum. If it is a question of gaining permission then it would difficult to work out who that permission should come from and as to why they should object to photos reaching a greater number of people if they have already been published for that purpose in the first place. Except for personally taken or passed down family photos most photos posted will have at source been purchased, so payment direct or indirectly has gone to the originator of the picture or person who first published it. Were we to want to publish someone elses photo in a book or a video/CD format then payment or permission to do so is a different kettle of fish, It is a bit of a grey area but the History Forum would be sadly hit if we had to stop posting some of the superb pictures from days gone by that we see here.
Mike

Thanks for that Mike. I cant say I am totally relaxed now but Iam a bit more comfortable.

So you ought to be really, being as you walk around in your St Michaels like you do, fortunately it's only around the house ( well, so far anyway.)LOL Keep those pics a coming good buddy 10-4 over and out.
Mike

This pic could go in either one or two threads on the forum. It looks pre-war, old gas lamps etc. Lots of things on it interest me.
The Beacon Cinema which was in the Clifton Cinema Group. I remember the Beacon but not the house in front of it. I don't know when the Beacon was built.
Adverts for 'Players Navy Cut' - ciggies which my dad use to smoke.
Advert for Esso Petrol or Oil.
The man nonchalantly cycling over a nice quiet Scott Arms cross roads.

Scott_Arms_Mid_1930s.jpg

Thats a great picture, I think it is the first one I have seen of that junction so long ago.

What's the modern-looking building hiding behind the tree, far right? Is that on the present-day road boundary?

What's the modern-looking building hiding behind the tree, far right? Is that on the present-day road boundary?

Thats the Beacon Cinema - demolished years ago. Now replaced by a block of offices and flats ! A car park has replaced the historic Scott Arms and the building on the corner over the road from it was replaced by a car dealer and since replaced by an Aldi Supermarket.
It's all progress, but it does look peaceful in those days.

Back