• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

See Birmingham by Post Card

Maybe people know about this BBC radio programme but here goes:-

Referring to the travel programme "Excess Baggage" on BBC Radio 4 and TODAY'S programme, 27 December, broadcast this morning at 10.00 a.m.

It was all about collecting picture postcards and the history/social interest involved. For those with the gadgets you can record it/play it again for up to 7 days.

www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/excessbaggage

Plenty of links there to postcard societies.

There you go. Richie.

You are right Mike and Phil, it is Northfield although Mike's photo is more how I remember it. It was sent to us because we lived just off Shenleyfield Lane after we were married until we came to Canada. We used to go down by at the traffic lights just by the clock. It was the Bell Pub that is there or was there, glad the clock is still there. We were very happy when that was sent to us a few years ago. Mo

Looking across the University from the halls of residence.

Attachments

• Edgbaston Birmingham Uni.jpg
    Edgbaston Birmingham Uni.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 6
Last edited by a moderator:
Its the one thats on The Bristol Rd yes Sakura. Its amazing how green Birmingham is and you cant imagine it.

Who remembers The Bristol Cinema? 1936

Attachments

• Edgbaston Bristol Rd Bristol Cinema 1936.jpg
    Edgbaston Bristol Rd Bristol Cinema 1936.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 10

Stitch, if I remember in the 60's didn't they have one of the biggest screens in Europe. I think that I watched the Sound of Music there when it first came out and I was sitting at the front, made me quite dizzy with that very wide screen. They needed three projectors to fill the screen.

Like Graham I remember it more in the 50/60's. I think we went to see something with the school but I can't remember what at the moment. I think it was a religous film and as you say I think that might have been where the Sound of Music was. Last night we had the Sound of Music on TV and I saw some of it for the first time on TV as they usually cut some parts and yesterday they left it in. One is where Maria and the children go on the mountain railway. I can watch it as many times as they want to put it on. Mo

The Bristol became a three-projecter ABC "Cinerama" theatre in September 1963 with the first presentation being "How the West Was Won". The cinema won the race to become the first "Cinerama" theatre in Birmingham over the Gaumont in Colmore Circus by just one month It was the Gaumont which was later to show "The Sound of Music" for three years (1965-1968).

Some exclusive photos and adverts to come in the New Year...

Last edited:
A scene from 1952 as the equipment is checked and preparartions are made for the start of the boating season at Cannon Hill Park.i

Attachments

• Edgbaston Cannon Hill Park 1952.JPG
    Edgbaston Cannon Hill Park 1952.JPG
    165.4 KB · Views: 9
Mo

I went with school to the Bristol Cinema to see Julius Caesar with Marlon Brando - must have been in the early 1950's. I thought the film was soooo boring .....

Judy

I am so sorry about that. We will have this one of Aston Hippodrome instead.

Attachments

• Newtown Aston Hippadrome Newtown Row.JPG
    Newtown Aston Hippadrome Newtown Row.JPG
    156.8 KB · Views: 8
Here we are. Handsworth Park Boating Lake 1912

Attachments

• Handsworth Handsworth Park 1900 .jpg
    Handsworth Handsworth Park 1900 .jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 5
Don't know if any of these have been seen before.
They are from a little booklet (38 pages) i have called
Birmingham Inns and Pubs on old Postcards by John Marks.
I will post more if anyone wants to see them, or ask if a certain pub is in there.

Attachments

• Acocks Green - Spread Eagle Warwick road 1900 B27.jpg
    Acocks Green - Spread Eagle Warwick road 1900 B27.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 6
John, you must please post them. Just put one or two a day on. I will probably not know anything about most of them but I will certainly look at them all and read the text with each one.

Hello Stitcher,
Here's another couple for you.

Attachments

• Nechells Dartmouth Arms Darmouth St.jpg
    Nechells Dartmouth Arms Darmouth St.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 8
  • Aston Tavern Aston Hall Rd Aston.jpg
    Aston Tavern Aston Hall Rd Aston.jpg
    137.1 KB · Views: 8
and another,
the reason for the slight curve is that I do not use a scanner, preferring to take another photo from the book.

Attachments

• Camp Hill Ship (2) Camp Hill.jpg
    Camp Hill Ship (2) Camp Hill.jpg
    195.8 KB · Views: 5
In the first photo of Dartmouth St., try as I might I just cannot read the name it's something Inn.
It is listed in the 1905 Kellys, but still no name, there was a Dartmouth Arms so I wouldn't imagine it was the Dartmouth Inn.
Any clues folks?

John lovely pictures. Do you ever ponder who might have sat in these places a 100 years ago.

Hello Stitcher,
Yes it does make you wonder, I have been involved with pubs most of my life.
Being a signwriter I used to do all the pubs and outdoors for M&B's and Ansells, plus a lot of the adverts at the football grounds.
Here in Brighton my nephew has a pub, Waggon and Horses, I've just done all the outside signage in gold leaf,
even though I've been retired 5 years ( still keep my hand in though).
I love old pubs, shame they are disappearing at a fast rate.
regards John (the brush)

BordesleyExile

How many were there, I can only find these two. I am not sure if the one is a drawing or a photo copy that has been copied too many times.

Phil

Attachments

• Newtown Bulls Head Blews St.jpg
    Newtown Bulls Head Blews St.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 11
  • Newtown Manchester St Globe.jpg
    Newtown Manchester St Globe.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 9
In the corner pub heyday...if the population was divided by the number of pubs...how many people would there have been per corner boozer in Brum. I wonder. Maybe at any one time a half of the population would be under age and maybe a third of the remaineder did not induge.

Thanks Phil, those pictures are greatly appreciated. I am particularly interested in the Sir Charles Napier at 95 Blews St West where my Great Great Grandfather's brother John Milner was publican at the Sir Charles Napier but I was deliberately vague as Astoness also has an interest in Blews St pubs (though I do not know which one). I am fascinated by the general character of Blews St as I would like to see the area that the regulars would have lived in and had so far been unable to find any pictures at all.

hi shirley and phil.. the bulls head was indeed on the corner of blews and pritchett st... this was taken in 1988 i think...i was down that way a few months ago and its still there although now some sort of warehouse...

lyn

Attachments

• bulls head pritchett st.jpg
    bulls head pritchett st.jpg
    180 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Moor Green Lane near to Yew Tree Road Mosely 1932.

Attachments

• Moseley Moor Green Lane 1932 (2).JPG
    Moseley Moor Green Lane 1932 (2).JPG
    166.3 KB · Views: 5
Morning all, and a happy new year to each and everyone of you.
Here's another 2 old pubs for you, enjoy.

Attachments

• Handsworth Ye Old Barley Mow  pos Wattville Rd c1900 .jpg
    Handsworth Ye Old Barley Mow pos Wattville Rd c1900 .jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 7
  • Handsworth New  Inns  Holyhead Rd Handsworth (2).jpg
    Handsworth New Inns Holyhead Rd Handsworth (2).jpg
    176.2 KB · Views: 6
Back