• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

See Birmingham by Post Card

I think that might be Stechford Road Stitcher with as you say the Common On the left. There is a bend in it that does not gel with Hodge Hill Road. Those houses look like they are still there.

Thanks for correcting me there Rupert. As usual I am doing several things at once. I have edited it now. Thanks again.

The old Birmingham City Boundary at Coventry Road Arden Oak Road 1950. Note the trolley buses.

Attachments

• Sheldon Coventry Rd Terminus Arden Oak.jpg
    Sheldon Coventry Rd Terminus Arden Oak.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 14
Last edited by a moderator:
I used to play cricket only a stones throw from the cottages in Church Lane but I am blowed if I can place tham. Would they have been near the junction of Collage Road and Church. They look old enough to be on the 1890 survey...just can't see them.

I wouldnt know Rupert, I found a load of old photos in a brief case that I used when I was a guide with my Taxi.

Can someone help with a small problem please. I can have a good clear picture. It will not upload and I was told to downsize it in pixel form and or inches. Sometimes downsizing in inches will not work until it is too small and downsizing the pixel count ruins the picture.

John, I had to cut quite a lot off the picture on all 4 sides to get it to upload. If I reduce the pixels it goes blotchy. What do I have to do?

I have an Epsom printer with photo scan. I can tell it how many pixels and what size I want. i/e A4 5x7 6x4 and upwards

I scann between 200 -300 you then need to use photo software to correct the needs of the scan you can resize in the photo software and and alter perameters
Do you have any photo software

this is what I do with paint shop pro
go to tool bar adjust click on adjust on drop down click on add remove noise
click on moire pattern removal adjust to 1 or 2 check which as the best result
then go to resize and resize by what ever percentage you need

Thanks a million John. I will try that in the morning.
Merry Christmas to you and yours from me and mine.

Heres a nice one of Aston Hall.

Attachments

• Aston Aston Hall.jpg
    Aston Aston Hall.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 4
Here is a nice tranquil scene. St Phillips Cathedral in quieter times.

Attachments

• City Colemore Row St Phillips.JPG
    City Colemore Row St Phillips.JPG
    146.9 KB · Views: 10
A nice one of the Council House.

Attachments

• City Victoria Square Council House (2).jpg
    City Victoria Square Council House (2).jpg
    153.1 KB · Views: 6
Sorry about that. I forgot the pictures. Unfortunately I do not have the date of these three. The first one is Paradise Street and Christchurch. Second is Moat Row, and the third New Street.

Attachments

• City Paradise St Queen Victorias Visit To Bham 1858  (19).JPG
    City Paradise St Queen Victorias Visit To Bham 1858 (19).JPG
    126.2 KB · Views: 12
  • City Moat Row Fruit & Veg Market.jpg
    City Moat Row Fruit & Veg Market.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 11
  • City New St - Corporation St (4).JPG
    City New St - Corporation St (4).JPG
    100.7 KB · Views: 12
Here we are in Hobmoor Road Small Heath in 1910

Attachments

• Small Heath Hobmoor Road.jpg
    Small Heath Hobmoor Road.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 10
This is how it looked in 1946, looking towards The General Hospital from Slaney St/Steelhouse Lane with Weaman St to the left.

Attachments

• City Steelhouse Lane George & Dragon.jpg
    City Steelhouse Lane George & Dragon.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 7
I posted this on Pubs but maybe it should be on here. It was a Chistmas card sent by a friend in Birmingham. I'm sure you all know the pub and the area, as it really hasn't changes a lot I don't think.
Love the pictures Stitcher.​

Attachments

• Northfield Bristol Rd 1952.jpg
    Northfield Bristol Rd 1952.jpg
    151.2 KB · Views: 8
Sakura

With my small knowledge of tram routes, I know the 70 route was a Navigation St to Rednal route along the Bristol Rd. I think the location of your card is the crossroads of Bristol Rd and Church Rd/ Bell Hill. Though I am not a 100% on this because Although having drank in the pub I do not remember the Bell public house having a clock. I'm sure that someone with a better knowledge of the area will put us on the right path.

Phil

Sakura, going by the road lay-out, if pmc is correct it could only be where he says, the lower end of Selly Oak or near the Horsefair looking away from city.

Phil
It's not the Bell, that you can see with the clock on the picture , but Huins on the opposite side of the corner at bell hill
mike

Attachments

• Northfield Bristol Rd (2).JPG
    Northfield Bristol Rd (2).JPG
    101.9 KB · Views: 11
mikeejee, I knew if I wrote a load of rubbish someone would tell us where it was. I was looking at the turn in the road and never thought of the correct place.

I had a quick look through my Northfield photo's. I think this is more or less the same view at a slightly later date. The Bell public house is actually behind the tram in the front on the Christmas card and is shown as the dark building on the left of the photo. I don't know what the building with the clock is, but I do seem to have a slight memory of it on the opposite corner of Bell Hill to the Bell Public House.

Phil

Attachments

• Northfield Bristol Rd South 1969 .jpg
    Northfield Bristol Rd South 1969 .jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Back