• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

See Birmingham by Post Card

Yes the Broad Street photo is a jem. That would be the Church of the Mesiah in the background and the Inn under the clock. The Prince of Wales theatre was curiosly behind the shops in the foreground right with seemingly three entrances to the road. The canal ran right under the church and there are several pictures showing the church from canal level on here. The link to the 1890 map is below for conveience.

https://www.british-history.ac.uk/m...=10089&ox=4675&oy=1709&zm=1&czm=1&x=500&y=250

The site that the Prince Of Wales theatre once occupied is now occupied by the Symphony Hall. A continuation of tradition maybe.

A fine view of Corporation St in 1959, with what can only be the Rackhams building going up on the left of the photo.

Phil

Attachments

• City Corporation St  Martineau St 1959.jpg
    City Corporation St Martineau St 1959.jpg
    154.5 KB · Views: 22
Lovely photo Phil, are they originals or from a web site?
It would be wonderful to have the originals in that condition. How a lot of us remember Corporation St. I'm sure. Mo

These are brilliant photos from you guys and gals. I hope you can keep them coming for a long time yet. Barry.

How many of us went to the Grove Cinema? Here it is in 1939.

Attachments

• Winson Green Dudley Rd Nr Grove Cinema.JPG
    Winson Green Dudley Rd Nr Grove Cinema.JPG
    126.1 KB · Views: 12
Last edited by a moderator:
Hello Mo. It was on Dudley Road near the junction with Grove Lane. On the other side of the road was the Rotten Park Rd Junction just beyond the tram and just off the picture bottom right was the Brewery. This shot is looking towards Brum and about half a mile before City Road which is on the right.

Lovely photo Phil, are they originals or from a web site?
It would be wonderful to have the originals in that condition. How a lot of us remember Corporation St. I'm sure. Mo

Mo,

Most of my photo's are from books & pamphlets etc that I have purchased over the years. Most web site photo's are copyright protected so I tend to not use them.

Phil

Stitcher

Here's a slightly better photo of The Grove for your collection.

Phil

Attachments

• Handsworth Grove.jpg
    Handsworth Grove.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 14
Fantatick photographs. brings back many happy memories for me.as i trudged around Birmingham city, working for Harrison & Fowler Typewriter people , my how its all changed makes me feel quite homesick Bobby B

Marks and Sencers. High St about 1940

Attachments

• City High St  Marks & Spencer 1938.jpg
    City High St Marks & Spencer 1938.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 13
Mo, I dont think there was a cinema on Grove Lane Handsworth. There was oneon Rookery Rd. It became a dance and music venue and it is now a Mosque or a Temple.
Trevor.

Anyone on here remember the 'flea pit' (New Olympia) on Ladypool Road? With a good camera you can still see the name at the top of the building where it still says 'talkies'! I think that 'Postie' has a good old photo.

Here are photos that I took on the 16th Nov with my spare little camera as my main one wouldn't work that day.

Attachments

• Ladypool Rd now .jpg
    Ladypool Rd now .jpg
    155.3 KB · Views: 9
  • Ladypool Rd then.jpg
    Ladypool Rd then.jpg
    186 KB · Views: 8
You are right Stitcher there wasn't one on Grove Lane I didn't know there was another Grove Lane. I thought there was one on Rookery Road, I remembered that but you do wonder whether your memory is playing tricks sometimes. When you don't live there and still go past these places you forget things. That is why this forum is so good for people who have moved away whether in the UK or abroad.
Did you look at that link, I have to go back and spend more time looking at it. Mo

MoI did look at the link, thanks for that.
I do understand what you are saying about memories because although I have always lived in Birmingham I spent years tramping around England Scotland and Wales with a big lorry. I find myself looking at Google earth to see how other places have changed since I retired.
Trevor.

The Rookery not being a native of Handsworth, but I believe it to be in Rookery Rd?

Whatever it is a Sikh temple now. Which is at least the reason why it is still standing and not gone the way of many other old cinemas of our day.

Mind you as this photo was taken in 1990, I suppose it could be gone now.

Phil

Attachments

• Handsworth Rookery c1990.jpg
    Handsworth Rookery c1990.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 12
There IS a Grove Lane in Handsworth, which leads off the nearest set of traffic lights on Soho Road to the Collrge. The Grove Lane where the cinema was is in Cape Hill, which technically is in Smethwick.

Rookery Road and the Rookery cinema/sikh temple also leads off Soho Road; this time where it turns into Holyhead Road as if going to the West Brom football ground. The junction at Soho Road is where the Regal ABC used to be.

Salisbury road, Moseley:

Came across this recently. It certainlt isn't the Moseley Saliasbury road. There are at least 2 others in Brum. Anyone know which one it is?

Many thanks,

Irene & Roy

No Replacement Photo Available

If you look at virtual earth in the birds eye view, the Salisbury Rd off Birchfield Road looks very like the picture, whereas the Saltley salisbury road has houses set off at one side, so it couldn't be that one.
Mike

I looked at Google Earth too, more likely Birchfield I thought. Unless they are new 'old style' houses! Perhaps someone will remember the road from the postcard.

A photo of Perry Barr Odeon. Just built and almost ready to open.
1930-31.

Attachments

• Perry Barr Odeon (2).JPG
    Perry Barr Odeon (2).JPG
    132 KB · Views: 8
Moseley - Salisbury Road:

Many thanks everyone for info. My first request as a newbie - I'm impressed.
What a fantastic site.

Roy

Nice photo or the Rookery Cinema Phil, glad to see it was still standing and as you said maybe because it is a temple. There are a few small mercy's.
I lived on Uplands Road so often walked past there to my Nan's on Victoria Road but as I said before you do wonder about your memory when you have been away so long.
That is why I really like particularly this thread as I sometimes see things I have not seen for many years.

Did you see the link for the Handsworth Digital site I posted Phil, great photos on there. Keep up the good work. Mo

icon7.gif
icon7.gif
icon7.gif
icon7.gif

Barrack Street Duddeston. St James's Church, early 30s.

Attachments

• Vauxhall Barrack St St James 3.jpg
    Vauxhall Barrack St St James 3.jpg
    213.2 KB · Views: 14
Back