• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

sayings

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I worked in the Security Lock business and hit a snag with the Locks,

Our Manager would always say IMPROVISE it always works

Charlies dead would also baffle most of them.
If I remember rightly It was a fashion statement used by Jacobite supporting ladies to mourn the death of Charles Stuart, the Young Pretender.
Would mean nothing to most of the present generation, if it meant anything at all to our generation either.

Remembering Mom on Mothering Sunday. When I was sulking (!) she used to say "Pull your face straight or you'll stick like it!" and "Stop pulling your jib". If she thought someone was acting "posh" she said "Ooh touch me not I'm chocolate" I don't know where that comes from!
rosie.

If I remember rightly It was a fashion statement used by Jacobite supporting ladies to mourn the death of Charles Stuart, the Young Pretender.
Would mean nothing to most of the present generation, if it meant anything at all to our generation either.

Usually meant a cheeky glimpse of the lacy hem of a low hanging petticoat. Seldom seen these days........sadly.

I told 'em, Oldham.
Me name is Gough so I'm off.
Pull the other one it's got bells on.
You'll be laughin up the other side of your face.
Them lot are as rough as old boots.
Wet behind the ears.
Namby pamby.
A cat 'owler (high soprano)
Pianner legs.
A gombile (mouth abcess)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back