• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

sayings

Status
Not open for further replies.
Norman Evans pre dates Les Dawson. Many hear will not have known of him I guess.
I was told about him, now we have Mrs Brown.
I just came out with 2 family sayings, if in doubt, chuck it out, my cousin's Cheshire gran said, well thanks very much for that an' here's your barrow back! and discussing our apology for a government's daily ever changing stratergy on the virus, they don't know their @rse's from their elbows. Nan would say, god love me!

I was told about him, now we have Mrs Brown.
I just came out with 2 family sayings, if in doubt, chuck it out, my cousin's Cheshire gran said, well thanks very much for that an' here's your barrow back! and discussing our apology for a government's daily ever changing stratergy on the virus, they don't know their @rse's from their elbows. Nan would say, god love me!
I seem to remember seeing him late 40s early 50s, I was still at school, certainly heard him on the radio, unfortunately rather like Old Mother Reilly, it left me puzzled as to why would a man want to dress like a woman and pretend to be a woman. Now of course in my eighties as a gender fluid vegan carnivore I fully understand. Am I woke I have to ask myself? Do I know what woke means? Oh by the way, the height of my drama career was as Maria , complete with grapefruit in a school production of the Merchant of Venice. If you want to realise how unwoke we were in the sixties, listen to the comedy hour at eight every morning on radio 4 extra and snigger at all the double entendres. Most of them make today's potty mouthed comedians seem harmless.
Bob

I remember the inuendos on Blue Peter. I thought Mrs Brown's visual appearance, or Julie Walters's Mrs Boadicea Overall might be modelled on Norman Evans's.
I always got old git parts but at least I got a part. I used to do a double act with my Irish mate in our teens, Sharon and Shirl.
Anyway.....he couldn't punch an 'ole in a wet paper bag! He couldn't knock the skin of a rice puddin'! Go an wash yer mouth out with soap! Ers common as muck er dow wash er neck.

Max Miller a very funny stand up comedian from my youth got banned by the BBC for telling this joke.

"I'm told there will soon be five hundred nudes on the stage in London, that would be a thousand pities."

Max Miller a very funny stand up comedian from my youth got banned by the BBC for telling this joke.

"I'm told there will soon be five hundred nudes on the stage in London, that would be a thousand pities."
I remember the one about meeting the blond on the narrow bridge, unrepeatable in these woke (whatever that is) times. Saw him at the Hippodrome on a number of occasions, actually a very funny man. Was it him that wore the tight trousers?

Bob

Max Wall and his tight fitting pants which everyone thought comical. Strange how fashions change - a large percentage of women seem to wear those kind of pants now. :laughing:

I remember going to see Norman Evans with my mother - probably Aston Hipp, as I have never been inside the one on Hurst Street to my knowledge. "Over the Garden Wall" was a favourite of my mother, but she could never cope with the Goon Show, which had me and my brother in stitches over the radio.

Maurice :cool:

Max Miller wore flamboyant floral silk suits and a homburg hat.
You lucky people was the catchphrase of Tommy Trinder.
The one in the tight trousers was Max Wall
Thank you, another very funny man Max Wall, saw him at the Hip as well.
I remember going to see Norman Evans with my mother - probably Aston Hipp, as I have never been inside the one on Hurst Street to my knowledge. "Over the Garden Wall" was a favourite of my mother, but she could never cope with the Goon Show, which had me and my brother in stitches over the radio.

My mother could not stand the Goon Dhow, while we intelligent grammar school boys thought it the best thing since sliced bread, although that had not been invented yet. Now as I listen to it weekly on my commute to work, I also wonder about it. Parts of it were and still are very funny, but some of it I find hard going and I realise that a lot of it is very repetitive, however I still enjoy the harmonica playing of Max Geldray and the sound of the Ray Ellington Quartet. Yes folks, Bluebottle, Eccles, Moriaty & Seagoon are still going strong and I realise and this has reference to the current theme, how much of the Goon show became everyday sayings.
Bob

Bob,

Glad you mentioned Ray Ellington, reputedly the first jazz group in the UK to use amplified guitar, and a much under-rated musician. His son, Lance, and two granddaughters are following in the entertainment business. Ray was originally the drummer with the Harry Roy Band. I was watching An Evening with Spike Milligan on YouTube the other night and he was still very funny. Alas, all long since gone. For many years I kept reel-to-reel tapes of the Michael Bentine radio show "Round the Bend", which used to go out on a Sunday night on the Light Programme, but sadly, I had to dump a load of stuff when I moved to Crete. But they were still playable and quite funny and good clean humour unlike a lot of the rubbish today.

I remember the one about meeting the blond on the narrow bridge, unrepeatable in these woke (whatever that is) times. Saw him at the Hippodrome on a number of occasions, actually a very funny man. Was it him that wore the tight trousers?

Bob
That was Max Wall

Bob,

Glad you mentioned Ray Ellington, reputedly the first jazz group in the UK to use amplified guitar, and a much under-rated musician. His son, Lance, and two granddaughters are following in the entertainment business. Ray was originally the drummer with the Harry Roy Band. I was watching An Evening with Spike Milligan on YouTube the other night and he was still very funny. Alas, all long since gone. For many years I kept reel-to-reel tapes of the Michael Bentine radio show "Round the Bend", which used to go out on a Sunday night on the Light Programme, but sadly, I had to dump a load of stuff when I moved to Crete. But they were still playable and quite funny and good clean humour unlike a lot of the rubbish today.

Spike Milligan was near the knuckle then and his racial sketches would not be tolerated now. One upset my mate when he sang I'm walking backwards to Christmas across the Irish Sea.And he got that sang at him.

Let's get the show on the road...my boss...which drew groans from all.
Up guards and at 'em!
And by my boring ex colleague in the gents....this is where all the big nobs hang out!....and he laughed a bit like Joyce Grenfell,,, fffff aaah ffff aaah!

A fool & his money are soon parted
You can choose your friends but not your relatives
He can`t cut the mustard
Those who have eyes but see not
You can turn it around with a smile
Every cloud has a silver lining.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back