• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Prince Of Wales Cambridge Street

hello LTravers and welcome..many thanks to yourself and your partner for keeping this pub open:)...i am so chuffed as we have and indeed are losing our pub heritage at a rate of knots over the past few years and still continue to do so...could you please inform us when the doors are open again please as i should like to pop my head round the door...

given the age of this pub have you thought about finding out all the names of its previous landlords from its earliest beginnings and displaying them on the wall inside the pub..just a thought for you to ponder on

cheers

lyn

Can we help this new (and welcome) venture and put together some of its history folks ? Be interesting to see if we can turn up any more photos, press cuttings etc. Viv

I, for one, am very glad to hear this, and will certainly visit you the next time I am in Birmingham. When the time comes, could you please let us know when you are open

Can we help this new (and welcome) venture and put together some of its history folks ? Be interesting to see if we can turn up any more photos, press cuttings etc. Viv

good idea viv i am sure some of us will be able to turn up a bit more history on this pub..some of us with access to the old directories should also be able to search through them for the names of previous landlords if the new owners would like that

so its all hands to the pumps folks... please excuse the pun lol

lyn

I think there used to be some history on the Midlands pubs website, but i cannot find it now. am at he moment trying to put together a list of the landlords

thanks mike you did a good job finding previous landlords of the bull loveday st...i will contact kieron the owner of the midlands pub site and ask him to point us in the right direction about his research on the POW

lyn

Below is the list I have extracted from directories. Will try and add to it later. note particularly that in the 1862 directory the pub is named the Fox & Hounds

Prince of Wales, Cambridge St

Below is a list of landlords for the pub. The date of the directory items is the publication date and in later directories is usually taken as referring to the year before, but in ealier directories it could refer to an even earlier year, as can be seen from the lack of entries for the two 1855 directories.

Landlords

D = directory; N= newspaper report

1854(D) George Littlewood

It does not seem to appear in the 1855 PO or White's directories

1858(D) Mary Lowe

1862(D) Benjamin Gaunt (Was named as the Fox & Hounds)

1867-1873(D) Joseph Gunn

1876(D) George Chapman

1878(D) Thomas Smith

1879(D) David Reid

1880-1882(D) George Gibbons

1883-1884(D) Henry Thomas Tyler

1888-1892(D) William Ware

1895-1900(D) Alfred Hill

1903-1908(D) Joseph Humphreys

1910(D) Keeling Birch

1912-1915(D) Arthur Polton

1921(D) Ernest Parsons

1924(D) Thomas Bradley

1932(D) Frederick Carl W.Skipp

1933-1936(D) Thomas Rose

1937-1939(D) John Packwood

1940-1946(D) Mrs Polly Packwood

1947-1949(D) Benjamin Jones

1950 (D) Bernard Yarnold

1955 (D) Bert S.Jones

1956-1958(D) Harold Newby

I’ve found a reference to the Fox & Hounds dated March 1855 (Birmingham Journal - insolvency notice) - attached below. So George Littlewood was probably still there into 1855, but he’d have gone no later than March 1855. Viv

Attachments

• 2319C925-CFD9-49E0-B934-327DFFB23343.jpeg
    2319C925-CFD9-49E0-B934-327DFFB23343.jpeg
    169.3 KB · Views: 11
Living some fair distance to the south of the pub I will never get to go in. However, I wish you good luck and success with the place. I know many hostelry aficionados here will be quite pleased about it.

cracking photo viv that still shows the properties next door to the pub...thanks

lyn

I think I have a photo somewhere of the inside of the pub. Be about 1980ish. We used to go in there when I worked at Alpha Tower. Not sure from memory if the photo shows much of the interior but shall dig it out all the same. I only went in there a few times, but it was a regular haunt for quite a few staff from Alpha Tower. I remember there were lots of photos on the walls and I think some drawings (like cartoons). There was the usual red plush seating and I think oak panelling behind the seats. According to beer expert colleagues it served a good pint at the time. Viv.

Have added some extra details from the newspapers. You will see there is some difference as to exactly when John Beddowes left.

Prince of Wales , Cambridge St

Below is a list of landlords for the pub. The date of the directory items is the publication date and in later directories is usually taken as referring to the year before, but in ealier directories it could refer to an even earlier year, as can be seen from the lack of entries for the two 1855 directories.

Landlords

D = directory; N= newspaper report

1854(D) George Littlewood

He applied for a spirits licence on 8th sept.1854(N). As, on his bankruptcy, in March and April 1855, he is stated to have been at the Fox & hounds for 2 years, he must have been there in 1853 (N)

It does not seem to appear in the 1855 PO or White's directories. Possibly after Littlewood left it was not used as a pub

1858 John Beddowes is landlord . Pub lease for sale in august 1858(N)

1859 John Beddowes. Bankruptcy petition staes he was at F & H up till about February 1859 (N)

1858(D) Mary Lowe

1862(D) Benjamin Gaunt (Was named as the Fox & Hounds)

Daughter reported died Dec, 1863 (N)

1867-1873(D) Joseph Gunn

Applied for licence on 23rd 8.1867 (N)

Licence transferred to Chapman 6.8.1874. Described as Prince of Wales (N)

1876(D) George Chapman

Licence transferred to Smith on 5.4.1877 (N)

Smith came fro Sherborne Tavern Sherborne St (N)

1878(D) Thomas Smith

Cannot find licence transfer from Thomas Smith, but there is the licence application by a Thomas Smith for the Rose & Crown, Brearly St West on 2.8.1878, which may be the same person (N)

1879(D) David Reid

Licence transferred from David Read to George Gibbons on 2.10.1879 (N)

1880-1882(D) George Gibbons

(George Gibbons applies for licence for Brown lion essex st on St on 4.8.1882 (N))

Licence given to Thomas Tyler ( no mention of previous landlord) on 6.4.1882 (N)

1883-1884(D) Henry Thomas Tyler

1884 Licence taken over by Henry Wallington 4.12.1884(N)

1888-1892(D) William Ware

March 1890 advertised for lease by Holt Brewery (N)

Ware was prosecuted for, on 6.11.1891, permitting drunkenness and supplying drink to a drunken person (N)

1892 William Ware won a dispute regarding payment from a money club he ran, because the club was illegal !

1895-1900(D) Alfred Hill

1903-1908(D) Joseph Humphreys

1910(D) Keeling Birch

1912-1915(D) Arthur Polton

In 1946 Arthur Polton's death was announced and it was stated that he started the Crescent Wheeler cycle club at the Prince of Wales pub (N)

1921(D) Ernest Parsons

1924(D) Thomas Bradley

1932(D) Frederick Carl W.Skipp

1933-1936(D) Thomas Rose

1937-1939(D) John Packwood

John Packwood died Sept 1939 (N)

1940-1946(D) Mrs Polly Packwood

1947-1949(D) Benjamin Jones

1950 (D) Bernard Yarnold

1955 (D) Bert S.Jones

1956-1958(D) Harold Newby

Last edited:
look forward to seeing your photo viv...

as usual mike thats great info...

i think i may have another old photo of the pub but it could be in my desk top files...will look asap and post if i have one

lyn

Thank you Pedrocut for those. The bottom right hand corner man will be the landlord Joseph Humphreys. Are you sure of the date of the second cutting, as , following you showing this, I have found that the licence was granted to him on 4.12.1884 (which I have added to post 74). When you confirm will add this to list as acting landlord

Last edited:
A few things found up to 1900. The earliest mention I see is 1877, so earlier it may have been referred to by the other name?

The report of Harry Warrington's fine is in the Birmingham Daily Post for Thursday, November 20, 1884.

In 1878 It was advertised in as an old established and well-known Tavern with large outdoor business and long lease.

A court Case involving William Ware of the POW for the holding of a money club at his house in July 1892. A year previously he had been fired for allowing drunkenness.

March 1890 it was Advertised for Lease and as being in the occupation of the Rolf (?) Brewery Company Ltd , and 10 years unexpired lease.

Pedro - Geo Littlewood was declared insolvent by March 1855 so I doubt he’d still be there after that time was the info from a directory ? If so that could explain it. Viv.

Yes very misleading Mike. These journalists weren’t fans of plain English. But yes, could have been in 1854. Viv.

I have now downloaded the page as a pdf and took another shot, mucked about a bit and now think it may be Holt Brewery?

7264F919-9303-4634-87C7-5D674B4B6828.jpegCEE1FA35-2A1F-472B-999B-3515967ADF5A.jpeg The original

Last edited:
Pedrocut mentioned the money club in post #79 - this is the full article as it gives a bit more insight into these clubs associated with public houses (from the Wellington Journal 16 July 1862). This one was obviously a large club having 40 members and was deemed illegal. Seems to have been poorly managed too. Viv.

E45D113F-37AD-4775-932B-A2A05A2DFA76.jpeg

hello LTravers and welcome..many thanks to yourself and your partner for keeping this pub open:)...i am so chuffed as we have and indeed are losing our pub heritage at a rate of knots over the past few years and still continue to do so...could you please inform us when the doors are open again please as i should like to pop my head round the door...

given the age of this pub have you thought about finding out all the names of its previous landlords from its earliest beginnings and displaying them on the wall inside the pub..just a thought for you to ponder on

cheers

lyn

Thanks Lyn! I will certainly inform you when we have opened the doors... We are working with a chap from the archives at Birmingham library to attain any existing information on the history of the pub. I'm aware that there is a list of previous landlords online and I am just trying to find it again!

Back