• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Prince Of Wales Cambridge Street

The pub seems to have had various sporting connections. This is the "well-known air gun" team in August 1905 (from the Sports Argus). They look like very respectable gentlemen. The last name obliterated by BHF watermark is J. Humphrey's. And G. Evans was captain. Viv.

image.jpeg

Lyn, I'm so glad someone else finds this amazing. You have restored my sanity.

We have the cup, I didn't know until after Christmas last year that a cup existed.

My cousin showed It to me, apparently his Mom took care of it up until he had it.

Imagine how thrilled I was when the only building standing in Cambridge St was the pub.

I had just been to the library to meet a great cousin once removed who I had never met before!

A good day to say the least.

Anyway, thanks for pointing out that the pub may have put the trophy into storage and to ask them. That was thoughtful of you.

its truely amazing kat....im chuffed for you and the family...could you post a photo on here of the cup would love to see it...is it engraved with his name what he won it for and the year??

lyn

Wow, Viv, thanks for the pic. The cup on the left is just like the one we have that Arthur Strawbridge won.

Thanks Lyn, I'm sure it was for shooting, no date on the cup and it says POW. As Arthur lived in Sheepcote Street my family are sure it is The Prince of Wales in Cambridge Street.

ok kat so just a cup with his name on it and the letters POW??(which would have been cheaper than having."the prince of wales" engraved on it.

lyn

Yes, you have got something there, also probably not enough room.

I'm going by memory though, I'm hoping to get the pic next week.

Cup 3.jpg

Hi all

Here is a pic of the cup won by Arthur Strawbridge (1884 - 1967), we are not sure when it was won.

Kat

I'm going to the Prince of Wales pub today for the first time!

Since starting this thread I have found from the electoral register that my Great Grandparents lived next door to the pub 1921 - 1930 (as far as I can see)!

As suggested, I will try and speak to he publican to see if they have any archive details on the Strawbridge's. I'm meeting a Strawbridge family member at the pub!

I will let you know how I get on.

Hi Kat if there's any other archive material at the pub, we'd be very pleased to hear about it. If you see any old docs/photos on the wall, might be nice to see any - but don't want to put you to too much trouble. Many thanks. Viv.

thats great kat..have a look to see if the pub has a plaque up displaying all the previous landlords names as many old pubs do have one....have a lovely time:) ps also be prepared to find out that the owner/landlord is not on the premises to actually talk to as not all live on the premises and have front of house staff running it....best of luck

lyn

I didn't see anything relating to the pub on the walls. I didn't get the impression that the landlord was there either.

I might phone the pub and ask to speak to the landlord to ask about the pubs history and any pics etc. I can go back to the pub if necessary.

Sorry I haven't got anything better to report. I had a nice time chatting to my relation though and it was just unreal to think that the family had walked through the same doors of the pub!

Thanks for the well wishes.

I remember seeing a board on the pub advertising the lease but I can't remember who was offering the lease, does anyone know?

prince of wales..cambridge st i have a feeling this one may have been posted before but just in case....

this pub dates from 1854 and i am happy to say its still open..:)another one i must try and visit...

Having moved from William St about 1969 we moved into Cambridge tower . In 1970 I got married and moved out , my wife and I had a dinner invite from my mother this was after we had finished work . When we arrived mother noticed she was running short of milk , I duly offered to fetch a bottle from the shop just up past The Longboat . After I got the milk I went into the Prince of Wales just for a quick snifter , then I went off to The Crown on Broad St , my good lady came at about 9.45 for the milk . I got and almighty rollicking that night , a very memorable bottle of milk , if you get my drift

williamstreeter i bet you were not sent out for milk many times after that little episode:D

lyn

Thanks for sharing the memory williamstreeter! It's good to read about people's memories of Birmingham. If walls could talk, the Prince of Wales could tell some stories!!!!!!

Round about 5, maybe 10 years ago, we used to go to The Prince Of Wales most Sunday afternoons for the live music. Our favourite band was The Emmitt Till Band fronted by dear old Mick Lawson. Some Sunday afternoons it would be Mick and his good pal Dave Kelly also on guitar, just the pair of them. The place used to get absolutely packed out. I remember one Sunday afternoon, quite late, my wife phoned me from The Prince to come and collect her - for whatever reason she'd been there on her own that day. So I drove from Sutton Coldfield, parked as close as I could, but when I got to the pub the place was still so crowded I couldn't even open the (inwards opening) doors! I waited outside until the current (loud) number ended, then phoned my wife who miraculously heard her phone ringing above the cacophony, and she managed to get out! It wasn't for anyone who, like me, is even slightly claustrophobic. But a great place for all that, and we really enjoyed the Sunday afternoon sessions. I believe the interior has been re-modelled, but I hope not too drastically.

G

Thank you for your kind comment, Lyn. I was always into live music (that is, ABE - Anything But Elvis....) and some of the pubs around the city-centre, even until a few years ago, had some really good blues, jazz and folkie bands on regularly most weeks. A few still do. My wife and I run a monthly singers' club in Sutton Coldfield - mostly blues, but really anything goes - and more than once a 'face' from the 'good old days' will walk through the door, and the memories-exchange will begin! Just to go off-thread for a moment, my own personal favourite Brum music pub was The Salutation in Snow Hill - sadly long gone - but from about 7.00pm onwards on Friday nights you could be anywhere in the world you wanted to be, all for 2 bob, or half-a-dollar if there was a 'name' trad-jazz band on!

G

Williamstreeter, I live in a cul-de-sac and whenever on of the other residents goes out with a bag about tea time it's always known as 'going for the milk'. Only difference is they bring the 'milk' back with them.

That's tragic, Lyn. It isn't all that long since it was refurbished. Do you know if it's intended to be kept as a pub, or what? It was one of the best live music pubs in Brum at one time.

G

sorry G that is all i know so far...crying shame but does not surprise me...around there is like a building site for a long time and my best guess is that a lot of people are avoiding the area due to all the disruption..hopefully it will re open but when and if is another question..the nearby flapper pub formally the longboat which is another good music venue has been given a short reprieve but i cant see that being there much longer as the site is earmarked for development

lyn

Williamstreeter, I live in a cul-de-sac and whenever on of the other residents goes out with a bag about tea time it's always known as 'going for the milk'. Only difference is they bring the 'milk' back with them.
Someone who lived nearby, when I was quite young, cycled to a pub with holdall. I was informed that he was a 'secret drinker'. :eek:

Been reading these posts with great interest and so lovely to see the early photo of The Prince... Pleased to inform everyone that me and my business partner have taken over the pub and hope to be open by the end of October. We will be serving a good range of ales and hot food and continuing the legacy of live music for Birmingham. Any more information about the history of the Prince of Wales on Cambridge Street gratefully received... All the best

Back