• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Old street pics..

...and if you want to know more about "The Green", being born just down the road in Wellington Street, I'm quite familiar with that too.

Hi Osien that's your story and your sticking to it , Hi Carol will keep looking I know the Scott Arms but never heard of the park

Rialto Cinema #3120 - Great picture, Bernie. I spent many an evening standing outside pestering the adults going in saying "Will you take me in please, Mister?", though not quite that long ago!

#3125 - Eden Place and the entrance to the City Treasurer's Dept where several of my friends worked (in the late 1950s - I've no idea where that department is now)

Maurice

The've probably closed the Treasury Department to buy wheelie bins I think the Rialto is a supermarket now Maurice , Does anyone know where the Wagon and Horses was on Carols pic

# 3125 I think you have just answered a question for me. If I am remembering correctly is this photo taken between the Museum and Art Gallery? I have been trying to think of the name of a passage that I used to walk through in the early 60s on my way to catch the bus to the ice rink in Summer Hill. There was almost always a man drawing some amazing pictures on the slabs with chalks. I would stop and look every Saturday when I went by. He was an amazing artist. Does anyone remember who he was ?

I remember the screever in Eden Place. He always had a little terrier with him. Some say he was one of the richest men in Brum and was picked up by a chauffeur-driven Rolls Royce the end of each day's "work". I always thought it a shame that his work wasn't permanent.

Btw, I would question the age of the posted picture with the figure (is it a copper?) in the Hi-Viz vest.

Crimble, I have this photo that purports to be the original artist with his dog, but myself I think not because he does not look like the original licenced street beggar to me.

Attachments

• City Eden Place old street artist e[1].jpg
    City Eden Place old street artist e[1].jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 102
  • City Eden Place Colmore Row 1972 .jpg
    City Eden Place Colmore Row 1972 .jpg
    158.6 KB · Views: 97
The've probably closed the Treasury Department to buy wheelie bins I think the Rialto is a supermarket now Maurice , Does anyone know where the Wagon and Horses was on Carols pic

Bernie its High Street Aston. This one has a double 'gg' whereas there are others with a single 'g'

my sister remember the old man well in eden place he was there in the fifties we used to walk though the passage to get to the musuem
josie

Bernie & Carolina, The waggon & Horses on the corner of Webster St was at 160 High Street Aston. If you look closely at this rather poor photo you can see the street name plate bearing the name High St.

Attachments

• Aston Waggon & Horses Aston High St.jpg
    Aston Waggon & Horses Aston High St.jpg
    162.3 KB · Views: 81
Bernie & Carolina, I think I have learned over the years that I have been collecting images that the only time that you can believe the information that comes with those images is when you already know the location.

#3140 Thank you Phil. I realize it`s Eden Place. That`s the man I remember. Does anyone know what his badge is? I didn`t know that they had to be licensed.

crimble, I'm afraid that I have no idea what the badge in his lapel is, back in the 50's you used to have to have a license to beg on the streets of Birmingham but I think that has all changed now.

Hi Maurice
You should have done what i did,borrow me dads mac. Iused to get free tickets to the Rialto,from Mrs Clayton at the chip shop.
She had a board outside the shop advertising the Rialto ,and got complementry tickets,she used to give them to mom for helping
in the shop

When I worked at Swallow Raincoats because they advertised the cinema in New Street in their canteen we got 2 free tickets every 2 weeks.

Back