• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Old street pics..

Berniew,

Not quite the same angle as #2578, but a better photo.

Attachments

• Aston Aston Road North.jpg
    Aston Aston Road North.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 141
You're right Phil it is a better picture , I don't remember them lads but my memory is poor but that was quality street furniture

Lovely picture. I had a neighbour who used to sit with his fiancée (now his wife of about 60 years,) at the bottom of her garden on the embankment (as you were allowed on them then), and watch the steam trains. Her house now gone wood have been where the viewer of the photo is. It is also nice to see the three spires. I can see 2 of them when I cross the footbridge from Spencer Park to Central Six. Not too long ago they had kept the Victorian iron work which supported the lamp over the middle of the bridge. Where the viewer is 'standing' would the grounds of Henry V111 school which was used in the recent TV sitcom starring Alison Steadman, Celia Imrie and Larry Lamb. Set in Cov which made Cov look nicer than it is.
Eaton Road is now Station Square (I think) which is not a square and is due to be revamped yet again. Cov has at least 2 other sub stations in Tile Hill and Canley I don't know about the other side of town. My old neighbour was born in the Gate Keepers cottage at Tile Hill Station as her dad was the Gate Keeper.I wonder if the old station was bombed. Don't forget Cov is nowhere near as big as Brum. The older bigger side of the City was on the other side to that of the station. Nico

I remember the Old Pool Meadow in Cov snd the shelters were in long lines made of brick with tiled rooves.
Our modern glass street ones get vandalised regularly. The Berkwell shelters are solid maybe they come under Brum or Soilihull?
There is/was a rough area which I shall not name when I was a teenager where the kids from there were known as the monkeys and would sit on the shelter tops th area was known as the jungle.

I remember the metal advertisement boards on the sides of the shops, or made as triangular rubbish bins. Us kids used to bash them becaue they were slightly floppy like when you basjed a tea tray and run hoping the shopkeeper would run out and chase you. We often got stern looks from them when we were in the shops with our parents,

The pics of Hockley Flyover very interesting. But how many years was it before they opened the underpass. I can remember waling through there in the late 1980s and seeing trees growing in the roadway.

I don't know when it was completed David the date on the caption could well be wrong , you were a little vandal Nico

Back