• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Old street pics..

There is a forum pic of the Ivy House Hotel on the Whitehall Road and Soho Road junction dated 1907 in a post here. It's the second pic in the post.
Much changed by that date.

Good photographs and interesting and explanatory text to go with them. Thanks for posting Harborne.

The demo site of the Waterloo Bar (post#3337) is also the exact location of Birminghams Panerama building which can be seen on Samuel Lines painting from the top of St Phillips. A first class article about The Panerama, by a forum member, is here somewhere.

Attachments

• New street 9.jpg
    New street 9.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 143
I just love all these old pics and there's so much out there about Brum now. Glad you like the pics.

View attachment 88068Banks opposite the Black Horse Derek

the house on the right boarded up was the house i grew up in the 40s and 50s, 66 Green Lane, Small Heath, next to banks fishing tackle shop. My mom run it as a small general store they moved out late 60s prior to demolition hence the boarding up it was opposite the black horse pub. To the left in the picture can be seen the old gospel hall, later years a body repair garage

Does anyone have a photo of the police station in Duke Street? The older, the better!

Thanks
Welcome dks1681,

Hoping you were not badly affected by the storm which battered the south coast last Monday.
A few days ago I saw a photograph on the forum of mounted police riding into Duke Street yard. I have had a little look for it but really had not much time If you do a search you should find it

Old Boy

That's a lovely picture of John Bright St, thanks for posting, Pudding.

Is that the Futurist Cinema or The Scala, on the right of the picture (#3345) ?

Last edited:
If you are talking about the building on the right, It's actually the Alex, here is another photo and one of the Futurist

Attachments

• City The Futurist John Bright St 1974 .jpg
    City The Futurist John Bright St 1974 .jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 124
  • City The Alexander Theatre John Bright St 1934 .jpg
    City The Alexander Theatre John Bright St 1934 .jpg
    169.7 KB · Views: 112
Thanks both! Wow Phil I never would have guessed The Alex! Good to see both buildings in your pictures.

Judy

I used to love nicking in the Vic for the occasional drink it was always full of Luvies still in their stage make up.

I think they still wear makeup in the Vic., Phil.
Though they're not necessarily lovies :friendly_wink:

Old Mohawk, Your picture of Grindleford Rd, No 2668 reminded me of the early 1960s when I used to live at No 26. They were owned by the White House, who sold it to us for £1100.
Dave.

Old Mohawk, Your picture of Grindleford Rd, No 2668 reminded me of the early 1960s when I used to live at No 26. They were owned by the White House, who sold it to us for £1100.
Dave.
Hi Padgo,
I lived in Grindleford Rd until 1968. I have these two old street pics c1941 of Beeches Road elsewhere on the forum, the first one shows the Whitehouse you mentioned. Do you remember the field behind the houses where the M6 is now. I have put photos (maybe before your time) of the kids playing on it ... click here
Phil
White_House__1941.jpg

Hassop_and_Beeches_Road_WW2.jpg

Hello Phil, Yes I remember the field, but, being in my 20s was more interested in cars. The picture of the White House brought back memories of when we purchased the house. Good times for us, I hope they were for you.
Dave.

Absolute fantastic pictures Lyn. thank you very much
Sheila

hi sheila and thank you but i really cant take all the praise as i only started the thread off and since then so many other members have contributed by posting old photos..must admit i havent posted anymore for quite a while but hope to find time soon so watch this space...

lyn

This postcard of Riley's Pianos on Constitution Hill suggests there was not only a piano/harmonium shop but also a Hall. I presume Riley's Hall must have been over the shop. I had a look on Streetview to see if the building is still there and, joy of joys YES! How chuffed I was to see it's still there and not in too bad nick either. Seems that quite a few Victorian buildings have survived along Constitution Hill/Great Hampton Street, although many frontages have suffered over time. Good to see many of the original decorative features of the Riley's building have survived.Viv.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1383519219.783788.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1383519219.783788.jpg
    196.4 KB · Views: 93
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1383519232.686650.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1383519232.686650.jpg
    160.3 KB · Views: 97
This postcard of Riley's Pianos on Constitution Hill suggests there was not only a piano/harmonium shop but also a Hall. I presume Riley's Hall must have been over the shop. I had a look on Streetview to see if the building is still there and, joy of joys YES! How chuffed I was to see it's still there and not in too bad nick either. Seems that quite a few Victorian buildings have survived along Constitution Hill/Great Hampton Street, although many frontages have suffered over time. Good to see many of the original decorative features of the Riley's building have survived.Viv.

It's lost its tower and flagpole now though, Viv. You've gotta have one of those to be proper Victorian!

2012_04_21_15_18_36.jpg

(Source: Raphael Tuck)

Splendid that the building has survived. I just want to go and stick all those big letters back up!

Maurice

It's lost its tower and flagpole now though, Viv. You've gotta have one of those to be proper Victorian!

2012_04_21_15_18_36.jpg

(Source: Raphael Tuck)

Great drawing Richie. The Hall is marked as Angelus Hall on the drawing, so maybe it was originally purposely built with a hall. Or maybe Angelus Hall was a person whose business occupied one of the upper floors, and Riley went into partnership with him? Then the 'Riley Hall' on the photo I posted earlier might have referred to the two in partnership. Pity about the little tower, yes it certainly adds a touch of distinction. Thanks for posting. Viv.

Splendid that the building has survived. I just want to go and stick all those big letters back up!

Maurice

Know what you mean Maurice! Funny that the BIG letters are on the Henrietta Street side and there doesn't seem to be any similar letters on the Constitution Hill side. And I love the note at the bottom of the postcard which says telegrams to be sent to "Piano, Birmingham" Viv.

Back