• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Old street pics..

Great pics Lyn. I especially liked the one of Lichfield Street as I had family living near here in the mid 1800's - in London Prentice Street.

Judy

thanks judy glad you like them...what i am doing is going through my old pics in the hopes i post some that were lost due to the hacking of the site...will find a few more later on..think ive posted a couple of london prentice st under that thread..mind you you have probably seen them i would think..

lyn

Last edited:
steelhouse lane..dated 1961

keeley st bordesley...dated 1966

upper thomas st..dated 1968

Of course with picture No.3 (Upper Thomas Street), the irony has not gone un-noticed with Midlands Counties ice cream proudly sticking up out of an ice flow..

richie my gt grandad was living in upper thomas st when he joined the coldstream guards in 1888..would like to find pics of this street

lyn

I know that the printed caption says 1969 but the cars did not look right for that date. The tram along that road closed in 1947 so a date not later than 1949 is more likely.

david you are so right..i really must look closer at the pic i am posting..i agree that 1949 is far more likely

cheers

lyn

img135.jpgicknield st..dated 1976..this one brings back very happy memories for me...no 8 bus stop on the left..used to hop on here to go home from spring hill rollar rink..

img158.jpgbirchfield road...aston lane to the right..wellington road to the left..i believe that there has been 3 crown and cushion pubs over the years on that corner...no 2 which is the one ive been in a few times showing on the left of the pic

Last edited:
Great set of pics again, Lyn, keep 'em coming!

Maurice

hi maurice i will try and post a few each day....i dont look very often but just looking at how many views this thread has had (nearly a quarter of a million) just goes to prove the power of the photograph...

lyn

Astoness,...what ever happened to all those horse troughs????..were'nt they made of some kind of..renda granite??....considering the price of granite and marble today they would be worth a small fortune...Brenda

Astoness,...what ever happened to all those horse troughs????..were'nt they made of some kind of..renda granite??....considering the price of granite and marble today they would be worth a small fortune...Brenda

hello brenda...no idea what happened to all the troughs but i would love one as a planter in my back garden...i guess they were broken up...such a shame..

lyn

hello brenda...no idea what happened to all the troughs but i would love one as a planter in my back garden...i guess they were broken up...such a shame..

lyn

Lyn

I doubt very much if any of the horse troughs that were disposed of from all over Brum were broken up to dispose of them. I'd would think that the ones that didn't end up in some Council Employee's back garden were certainly sold on by an enterprising Council Employee or perhaps even a contractor. Have you seen the prices that they can fetch, £1000 upwards depending on the size and condition.

Lyn

I doubt very much if any of the horse troughs that were disposed of from all over Brum were broken up to dispose of them. I'd would think that the ones that didn't end up in some Council Employee's back garden were certainly sold on by an enterprising Council Employee or perhaps even a contractor. Have you seen the prices that they can fetch, £1000 upwards depending on the size and condition.

crikey phil...did not think they would fetch that much...mind you they are a thing of the past and we will never see the likes of them again...be great to think that at least some of them were saved..

lyn

Back