• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

OLD BIRMINGHAM PHOTOS FROM STEVEBHx

For the record...
In 1979 a property was sold on behalf of David J Hill and Co., bar fitters. They had moved to larger promises in Aston. Jack Allen took over the three-storey warehouse office and showroom complex in Great Hampton Row, Hockley.

Finally one of the colour ones for you , this is the Bell Tavern - few things to look out for, lorry on the right with Milk Churns, the ornate lamp to the right of that lorry and the Police telephone box. Note the old black and white traffic lights.
Again no year and the location was only because it says so on the building - better description please
thanks

View attachment 157356
I am saying this is James Watt Street. I am sure there is a side street at the top there, . Would it have been down to the old Evening Despatch offices. Dalton street? Or am I making a fool of myself! Sue

Evening a few more I haven't got bored with you just been busy - found some more colour slides - I had them all along but seems i.e I scanned and tidied 46 then went to 123 missing those in between so I have been catching up and will post them soon. Back to 84 Colmore Row in 1971, nothing much has changed down this side of Colmore Row still business area.

View attachment 157353
Number 84 today

Attachments

• 84 Colmore Row - 2021.JPG
    84 Colmore Row - 2021.JPG
    88.7 KB · Views: 12
This the Apollo Hagley Road in 1971, National petrol station very busy with a camper van and a nice sports car - Sprite? sure you will tell me !! and on the very right hand side a Unigate milk float - do you remember Humphrey? I will judge from your replies if that needs an explanation.

View attachment 157354
The Apollo Motel is listed at 243 Hagley Road. Now the Apollo Hotel.
Looks as if that building is still there although it seems to have some additional work at roof level and a huge extension on the right - unless it was there in the 1970s and just not on this photo.

Attachments

• Hagley Road Edg - 2021.JPG
    Hagley Road Edg - 2021.JPG
    71.1 KB · Views: 10
15 Rookery Road Handsworth in 1975, a fine shop, corona rubbish bin, Walls Ice cream A frame, and a good window display for window shopping.
On the right hand side of the top shelf left hand window is that an orange wembley football?
View attachment 157355
Premises still there although change of usage. Address listed as 17 Rookery Road.

Attachments

• 15 Rookery Road Hands. -2021.JPG
    15 Rookery Road Hands. -2021.JPG
    34 KB · Views: 12
Finally one of the colour ones for you , this is the Bell Tavern - few things to look out for, lorry on the right with Milk Churns, the ornate lamp to the right of that lorry and the Police telephone box. Note the old black and white traffic lights.
Again no year and the location was only because it says so on the building - better description please
thanks

View attachment 157356
Think I have the right corner. Dale End to the left and James Watt Queensway to the right.

Attachments

• BellTavern 2021.JPG
    BellTavern 2021.JPG
    54.5 KB · Views: 19
Moor Street Station looking towards Carrs Lane - the back of Marks and Spencers is about the end of the modern view all change from then on. I like the colonnade style windows of the warehouse in the distance and note how large the University building looks.

View attachment 157383

That's St Michael's Church on the photo, in front of the warehouse isn't it? It's still there.
Was it a car park that replaced the warehouse?

I am afraid the last one is another quiz , as usual no location or year although there is a sign telling you not to park in front of the congregational church, if we were two foot to the left we could have read the notice board ! Next door is no. 17. with Norman and also S.J. W...... Love the classic architecture of the church, with its carvings and arched windows.

EDIT: For vehicles see #1,824, for potted history and location see #1,819 - Thanks

Test220.jpg

Last edited:
Susan
Yes, you are right. Look back to post 1800, where it is identified
Thank you Mike. I used to walk up James Watt Street to get to the Evening Despatch. At Saturday teatime, I would wait outside the printers to collect a dozen or so Sports Argus straight off the press. I would then sell them to family and friends in our streets. I bet I didn’t make more than a couple of Bob. lol. The Salvation Army was based in James Watt Street too. I used to go to Sunday school there.
Regards, Sue

I am afraid the last one is another quiz , as usual no location or year although there is a sign telling you not to park in front of the congregational church, if we were two foot to the left we could have read the notice board ! Next door is no. 17. with Norman and also S.J. W...... Love the classic architecture of the church, with its carvings and arched windows.

View attachment 157387
nice little mystery to solve steve..nothing jumping out at me at the min

lyn

View attachment 157387

It's the old Carr's Lane Chapel.
Board-2.png

In a quiet moment I have uploaded this picture - loads of vehicles - I did google this so I know its Smallbrook Street and it was demolished 1960s for the ring road ( but feel free to tell me if I am wrong) .
View attachment 157224
TOL on the black Cambridge on the right gives us June/July 1956. Two A30s and a Phase 1 Vanguard also facing the camera. In the middle a well prewar Austin 10 Sherborne follows a Vauxhall Light Six.
Parked on the left, a Hillman Husky, a pre 1000 Morris Minor, that van looks like it’s an electric one.
Facing the camera, a Hillman Minx based Commer van.

That model of Cambridge was either A40 or A50, depending on the 1200 or 1500cc engine choice, but most people bought the A50 as it was not a lot more expensive.

Last edited:

View attachment 157387
Mk1 Cortina, I think, on the left, a Humber Super Snipe and possibly a Mk1 Humber Sceptre or a Hillman Super Minx on the right.

Mk1 Cortina, I think, on the left, a Humber Super Snipe and possibly a Mk1 Humber Sceptre or a Hillman Super Minx on the right.
I knew we could reply on you to fill in the blanks, johnfromstaffs! BTW, there's a fascinating, 9 minute film of Austin A30s & A40s being tested to destruction. It's on Youtube, entitled "British Car Trials on the Autobahn: Tests such as these", Pathe. Very enjoyable!

I knew we could reply on you to fill in the blanks, johnfromstaffs! BTW, there's a fascinating, 9 minute film of Austin A30s & A40s being tested to destruction. It's on Youtube, entitled "British Car Trials on the Autobahn: Tests such as these", Pathe. Very enjoyable!
Just watched it. That voiceover artist should be shot!

The introduction of the later, bigger engine for the A35 and Minor 1000 was indeed needed, the 803cc engine was both gutless and fragile. Those cars also had stronger transmissions to cope with the extra power and torque.

Last edited:
The church photo is here (from the Geoff Thompson Archive)

Interesting that the picture on the Geoff Thompson Archive site is the ecactly the same. It is not so sharp and looks like someone has taken a scan/ picture, cropped slightly and tidied up.

[ I should have gone back to post number one !]

Thread 'OLD BIRMINGHAM PHOTOS FROM STEVEBHx'
https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/old-birmingham-photos-from-stevebhx.52814/

Last edited:
Interesting that the picture on the Geoff Thompson Archive site is the ecactly the same. It is not so sharp and looks like someone has taken a scan/ picture, cropped slightly and tidied up.

[ I should have gone back to post number one !]

Thread 'OLD BIRMINGHAM PHOTOS FROM STEVEBHx'
https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/old-birmingham-photos-from-stevebhx.52814/
I keep posting that these slides and the black and white old pictures are from the Geoff Tbompson archive, I received a CD of his pictures from Mark Norton, having lent my slides and black and white pictures for a project he had. I have lightened and tidied them .

Back