• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

OLD BIRMINGHAM PHOTOS FROM STEVEBHx

A few pubs / ex pubs today
1433 Bristol Road South from 1971, nice Triumph Dolomite in the car park, this looks like it used to be a pub has that look, nice chimneys and leaded windows
View attachment 152766
This one confused me until I realised a shop has been added on the left and the front section seems to have been built out. Not sure about the pub idea as the whole block is in the same style.
1433 is the shop with the dark red sign
1612794399187.png

I know how we have had a few of this pub, Tyburn House now with the name on the side, I had to check what the difference was

This is another view of the Tyburn House this time with the name on the side, funnily enough this also has a Vauxhall Viva in the car park, taken in 1974, again with the leaded windows
View attachment 152770
A different view - amazing how many shots on streetview have large lorries in the way.
1612795153283.png

I agree it looks like a pub, but was The Ideal benefit society back to 1932 and does not look much older thsn the 1920s to me
Thanks Mike for that - I was going to argue the case above then saw that Ideal Benefit converted the upstairs to offices in 1961 hence the Ignore me !!

Victoria Street Small Heath/Bordesley Green. No idea what the church-like building is.
Had to resort to an old map to identify the site - opposite the Baptist Church.
View attachment 152654

I assume this chapel was the Baptist Church.
View attachment 152655
Loving this thread.... Thank you all.
The church-like building is actually in Prince Albert Street... used to go to a youth club there... It became a warehouse of some sort.

Annie
Victoria Street Small Heath/Bordesley Green. No idea what the church-like building is.
Had to resort to an old map to identify the site - opposite the Baptist Church.
View attachment 152654

I assume this chapel was the Baptist Church.
View attachment 152655

Just to cheer you up on a snowy morning - I will let you fill in the location gap :)
I apologies in advance if the image size is to big as I have said before I am not good at the techy side

Attachments

• Test415.jpg
    Test415.jpg
    462.8 KB · Views: 157
I will apologies in advance for this one its the Royal George in Summer Lane from 1971, included as I don't think it is there anymore. Note the cars in the road , is that a Morris Minor pick up with a delivery Plate? and the ornamental brickwork road the electricity Building ( I think)Royal George Summer Lane 71 x.jpg

A rather bleak look towards Winson Green Prison in 1974, it looks like the cobbles are underneath the road surface here and the blocks are still there on the pavement. See the lorry stacked up with potatoes in the distance

Winson Green Road  Norman Street 74.jpgn Green Prison

This Lichfield Road / Waterworks Street from 1971, love the chimney and the water tank on stilts, and the selection of cars. Last Chance named due to its proximity to the M6.

View attachment 152825
What a great pic.
December 1977 my girlfriend at the time (still my wife) was driving her Morris 1000 along Lichfield road with myself as passenger when she skidded on ice and demolished the lamp post that we can see here.

What a great pic.
December 1977 my girlfriend at the time (still my wife) was driving her Morris 1000 along Lichfield road with myself as passenger when she skidded on ice and demolished the lamp post that we can see here.
Its these little snippets I love, a little piece of history brought to life, like the butchers shop photo from the other day
thanks for that Bob

I will apologies in advance for this one its the Royal George in Summer Lane from 1971, included as I don't think it is there anymore. Note the cars in the road , is that a Morris Minor pick up with a delivery Plate? and the ornamental brickwork road the electricity Building ( I think)View attachment 152827
Think this is the building now but can't manage a similar view.
1612885144608.png

Think this is the building now but can't manage a similar view.
View attachment 152834
yes thats the george jan and a great shot of the back of it...my old stamping ground..not been a pub for years now in fact out of the 16 odd pubs that were along summer lane in the 1960s only one remains a pub and that is the barrel corner of tower st and summer lane..the stag corner of brearley st and summer lane is still standing but alas no longer a pub...spent many a happy few hours in all of them...happy days

lyn

Last edited:
You notice how much we have lost after seeing the pictures Janice adds to the post this adds greatly to my photos
Cannot tell you Steve, how much I've enjoyed your wonderful photos- thank you so much! In the picture of no.71 Anderton Rd a shop has a sign, "Security Department." I wonder what that referred to, as the shop doesn't look all that secure! Best wishes, Alf.

Back