• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

NewSt Station 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
Your photos uploads aren't loading. Only showing as links.

You should check out the second entrance of Snow Hill on Livery Street (Jewellery Quarter side).

I thought the New Library was awful until I went past the Station entrance in Stephenson St... It looks like some sort of giant predator with teeth!!
How are they going to keep it clean and shiny? Maybe it's got special coating?
I went inside for some bus timetables and it seemed dark and dingy already, the floor wasn't very clean either.
rosie.

I walked through there yesterday to catch a train for Alvechurch,there was fresh graffiti on the new paintwork,bottles,cans and general litter scattered near the escalators,when I commented on the rubbish to a cleaner ,he said it was a nightmare to keep clean and the floor tiles are causing big problems...goodness knows what their homes look like.

I've been a bit busy, so still haven't booked return tickets to check out the new concourse (holiday, work and other trips).

But here is some recent pics I've got (not been down Stephenson Street since April).

John Lewis - Hill Street / Station Street - 28th July 2013

St Martin's Queensway - 3rd August 2013

I've yet to walk over the link bridge from St Martin's Queensway to Stephenson Street!

Got some new pics of the station exterior this morning.

Looking good! Will prob upload to Flickr sometime during the coming week!

Here is a preview until then!

DSCF3138.jpgDSCF3149.jpgDSCF3153.jpg

By 2015 all the remaining concrete will be hidden under the new shiny surface. Should have more sunlight heading down to platform level.

DSCF3157.jpg

Maybe sunlight will enter via this new roof structure!

Well that's good news. New Street in my mind has always been pretty much subterranean, no natural light, except at the ends of the platforms. Thinking more about it the architects have quite a challenge on their hands. Surprised 2015 is the completion date. Just shows how big a project this is. Viv.

I went to have a look about two weeks after it opened , think it's too early to come to any firm conclusions . The concourse that's done is brighter but I have big reservations about the flooring and am not completely sold on the cladding . Impossible to say how much light will be allowed in , so better but how much , the jury is still out

Route from St Martin's Queensway over the new footbridge with living wall

Path on St Martin's Queensway (think this was closed until recently)

Living wall

Exterior of new entrance from Stephenson Street

more shiny

One day I will enter through here!

Old Navigation Street entrance. Closed since end of April 2013.

Thanks berniew. Now waiting to see the inside of the new concourse.

Need to book tickets somewhere!

Got some pics of the new concourse today. Looks good. Exitted via new exit / entrance to the Pallasades.

Pics here when uploaded to Flickr.

New concourse

concourse entrance and exits

Hill Street

Stephenson Street and the Pallasades

Tickets

Nice Pics ell:emmersed: Liked the Queensway shot. The premier inn looks more appealing than it did as an office block, is Ladywood House still to let?..would make another good Hotel:encouragement:.

As far as I'm aware Ladywood House is still to let! Yeah it would. I wouldn't want another office above New Street Station!

Shiny Stephenson Street

Pallasades entrance Stephenson Place

Ladywood House and Burlington Hotel reflections

Waterstone's reflections

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back