• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

NewSt Station 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks impressive but still no detail I will have a look around and post anything I find here
thanks Ellbrown

Had a good look around what's happening with the rebuild/renovation of Birmingham New Street. Lots of sites to read about
all of it. I don't think the finished project will please everyone. Many people are disappointed that there are no new platforms.
Looks as though this would have been impossible anyway. Couldn't find much about the renovations to the platforms especially
regarding the lighting. The concourse will be light and airy no doubt but they are going to have to install a lot of high density
lighting in order to cut through the gloom. There will be 30 new escalators and 15 new lifts. The lifts I'm pleased about. I
have had nothing but trouble finding one as armed with a heavy suitcase when arriving from London usually could only find
a dirty goods lift to go up to street level in. Going back with a heavy suitcase was a nightmare as well. Usually, some kindhearted
gent would help me with my suitcase going down the stairs to platform level. I am not comfortable on escalators with a heavy suitcase.

Hopefully, the new station will stand the test of time and not look to shabby over the years to come.

On my "look around" I found this amazing site with all kinds of video films covering a lot of events at New Street Station. Some wonderful steam engine
shots. There is so much on this site to view it would take a long time to go through them all. https://www.veengle.com/s/Birmingham New Street station.html

The first part of the new concourse will be open at the end of this month. They talk about better facilities for passengers but this is all above the platform level. The new escallators and lifts will be good but the fact is that the platforms will just have been redecorated and refurbished. There will still not be enough platforms for the number of trains and there will still be times I am sure when platforms will have to be closed because there are too many people on them for safety.

Yes Jennyann the lifts are not very welcoming. I had never used them until I broke my leg about four years ago. From the concourse level you would have to know where they were to use them and then there are only two lifts from the concourse so if they do not serve your platform you have to go down below the platform level and walk along an underground passage to find the right lift.

Incidentally the entrance from Queensway will close this month so if you use a bus from that side of the city centre or the Bull Ring you will have to walk round to Navigation Street to get into the station.

Re: New St Station in the 1960,s

There will be a ramp / path going round the back of the Odeon, linking Moor Street Queensway with Stephenson Street. The other end will go through the former pub that used to be under the Pallasades ramp.

It will open at the end of the month, when the St Martin's Queensway entrance closes.

Not sure if this video of the new development is featured on any of the other post's but try this, i think it looks fantastic!..

Great graphics "brumgum", but it comes across as a vast, impersonal, and a cold place, certainly the old was grimy and smoky, but it had a homeliness about it.!! paul
I agree but it's a vast improvement on what it's replacing!. I never knew the old New Street but just have a vague memory of my Dad purposely taking me there just to see the steam trains, must have been just before it's demolition. There's no way it would have been demolished today, i feel very sad when i view what was lost especially Queens Hotel etc.

There's also a very good blog on the work in progress here...
https://birminghamcentral.blogspot.co.uk/2013/03/new-street-station-redevelopment-update.html

The thing that bothers me about the cladding is that shiny metal rarely stays shiny f or very long lapart from that what Ive seen looks good

This entrance will open end of April

The shiny cladding is already being installed down on Stephenson Street, over the horrible concrete!

The best leader on the above u-tube thread is "1964 Birmingham", take a look fantastic, as stated before don't think much to the "NEW " New street station.paul

Hi

Yep not the best of days but glad its over. Mom96 Funeral today at Robin Hood and a do at the
plough Stratford Road. All went fine glad its over they aint easy. Jane from the Methodist Church gave
a great talk about Mom.
Dad96 a bit weepy but did great. We are all out again tomorrow.
Looks like I might have picked up a bit of Family History Work Wait and see if any data comes through.
Superb thread this one i will try to add a bit.

Mike Jenks

Ok, been through New Street today. Took pics (but not uploaded yet).

When I came back from Bromsgrove, I left via the old Stephenson Street / Navigation Street exit. It is due to close at the end of April. Never used that one before (I don't think).
And will never use it again, as the new Stephenson Street entrance opens April 28th.

Just put up ones of the route from Five Ways to Longbridge

It is sad to see graffiti and litter on the suburban lines of Birmingham. Hopefully Network Rail will remove it.

The old concourse

Taken on my mobile, while trying to figure out what platform my train would be on (10B - ended up checking the Network Rail app - it was the Hereford train on the Arrivals board)

This footbridge near Navigation Street closes at the end of April 2013

New footbridge from St Martin's Queensway to Stephenson Street.

It will allow quicker access from Moor Street Queensway and Moor Street Station (on foot).

Opens end of the month.

Some shots of the Navigation Street Footbridge due to close on Sunday 28th April 2013 (to allow the extension to platform 12 to be completed).

Having just left Platform 10B - Platform 8 is next

Inside the footbridge (it was probably built in the 1990s - can anyone confirm this?)

Down to platforms 4a, 4b, 4c and 5

Navigation Street entrance closing Sunday 28th April 2013

Navigation Street outside

Say goodbye to this entrance - forever?

The footbidge was built as a result of new regulations brought in after the Kings Cross fire in November 1987. This would date it to early 1990s

Ok, thanks DavidGrain.

So between 1967 and the early 1990s was there not an entrance on this side of the station?

Not counting the ramp up to the Pallasades.

Ok, thanks DavidGrain.

So between 1967 and the early 1990s was there not an entrance on this side of the station?

Not counting the ramp up to the Pallasades.

Not from the platforms. The only entrance was the present concourse which will close shortly, which had entrances from the Pallasades and the short stay carpark. The short stay car park had entrances from Queensway, Station Street (stairs) and the former car park entrance in Hill Street (which was the taxi entrance). When the station was rebuilt in the 1960s for a short time there was an entrance direct onto the corridor which links the concourse to the platforms from Stephenson Street through where the shops were built.

Another view of the Navigation Street Footbridge

The trains to London seem to stretch well beyond Navigation Street!

So when i go to/from Brum on Friday 26th, will the entrance in Pallasades still be open, if not will I need to use the new one? i am at a concert at the NIA and don't want to drive, so won't have much time spare to look for entrances lol!
Sue

So when i go to/from Brum on Friday 26th, will the entrance in Pallasades still be open, if not will I need to use the new one? i am at a concert at the NIA and don't want to drive, so won't have much time spare to look for entrances lol!
Sue

On Friday 26th coming in from Tamworth walk towards the front of the train and use the footbridge and walk up Pinfold Street. The change over will take place on Sunday 28th.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back