• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

NewSt Station 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
My train yesterday back from Bromsgrove was right next to the new section of the footbridge.

Here is a change over map and sign on the Navigation Street / Hill Street corner

Re: New St Station in the 1960,s

Thought you'd like it. Have some of those photos been posted on here in the past somewhere?

There is a public exhibition on at the station before the switch over. Don't think I'll get around to seeing it though.

The site of the John Lewis department store - going up at the corner of Hill Street and Station Street. Built where Stephenson Tower used to be.

In April 2012

One year later in April 2013

Only a matter of days until Half Time Switch Over.

View from Swallow Street - the upper car park has been demolished and John Lewis is being built

View over the tall wall on Brunel Street - Navigation Street footbridge due to close to the public for refurbishment this weekend.

New Stephenson Street entrance on the left

Was in New Street Station a week ago thinking this is the last time I will have to go down into the subway under the platforms with my luggage. Unfortunately one of the reports on the TV said that not all the platforms yet have their lifts and escallators working and it will be June before this happens.

Only half the station has been done!

Now they will be striping out the old concourse, and cutting a big hole in the atrium, to allow natural light to flood into the station.
Creating Grand Central to replace the Pallasades.

Only half the station has been done!

Now they will be striping out the old concourse, and cutting a big hole in the atrium, to allow natural light to flood into the station.
Creating Grand Central to replace the Pallasades.

And building a John Lewis, the biggest one outside London.

In fact I would say there is MORE to do than they have already done.

See my above photos of John Lewis.

Until then, the closest John Lewis that is open is in Solihull!

Going into Bham Saturday to view our new Shopping Centre... Its got nothing to do with trains has it...no new or extended platforms...just more shops. Can city support Rackhams, debenhams,Selfridges, and John Lewis particularly with people buying on line and the ridiculous cost of parking in City.

Grand Central wont be finished until 2015.

So pop along to the Bullring and / or the Pavilions.

Go on the bus or train if parking costs too much.

The new entrance in Hill St and the view from the new entrance. I think they call it Southside ?

Terry

Attachments

• IMGP1211 (Medium).JPG
    IMGP1211 (Medium).JPG
    170.1 KB · Views: 19
  • IMGP1212 (Medium).JPG
    IMGP1212 (Medium).JPG
    138.1 KB · Views: 18

will try to get a look at it next week when we go into town.
Has anyone from the forum used the new entrance yet? - where does it bring you into the station?
Sue

Southside is the Hurst Street area.

I've not been to town since it opened (I last saw it a week ago before it opened).

(I went through Snow Hill / Moor Street on Sunday to Stourbridge).

I went to have a nose to see if there was anything I could curse and surprisely found the new interior aokl,what I cannot understand though is why there's no extra capacity or longer platforms.....I don't like the exterior though,it looks like one big cover up.

I went to have a nose to see if there was anything I could curse and surprisely found the new interior aokl,what I cannot understand though is why there's no extra capacity or longer platforms.....I don't like the exterior though,it looks like one big cover up.
I visited today and thought the flooring a bit of a mistake, it's nice light stone but you could already begin to notice where folks had dropped dribs and drabs of their drinks:frown: and it's only been open a couple of days. The outside is a cover up but should look better at the John Lewis entrance.

The only extra capacity will be for passengers especially they hope for them to wait upstairs. The only advantage I can see apart from general refurbishment is that there will now be escallators and lifts down from the concourse to the platforms. There is no space for longer or extra platforms which are desparately needed. That is why there were no plans to bring HS2 trains into New Street.

This was what the platforms were like when I last went through here 3 weeks ago

I visited today and thought the flooring a bit of a mistake, it's nice light stone but you could already begin to notice where folks had dropped dribs and drabs of their drinks:frown: and it's only been open a couple of days. The outside is a cover up but should look better at the John Lewis entrance.

Totally agree, but I will reserve judgement till it is complete. Here are a few pics I took.

Terry

Attachments

• IMGP1216 (Medium).JPG
    IMGP1216 (Medium).JPG
    98.8 KB · Views: 41
  • IMGP1217 (Medium).JPG
    IMGP1217 (Medium).JPG
    118.3 KB · Views: 36
  • IMGP1218 (Medium).JPG
    IMGP1218 (Medium).JPG
    93.2 KB · Views: 37
  • IMGP1221 (Medium).JPG
    IMGP1221 (Medium).JPG
    99.3 KB · Views: 36
  • IMGP1222 (Medium).JPG
    IMGP1222 (Medium).JPG
    99.1 KB · Views: 37
They've got one of those hanging garden thingies the back of the Odeon..there's a new entrance to the station there...the plants on the hanging garden by Snow Hill are conking out...another bright idea.

Spent a few minutes this morning wandering around the new concourse which after St Pancras and Kings Cross left me feeling a little underwhelmed.

No doubt when the atrium is opened then light will make all the difference. Meantime the painters need to return to finish off the inner walls at the eastern end.

I hope there will be some sort of ceiling treatment as at present you see all the gubbins and entrails of the structure including yards of gaffer tape which doesn't impress.

More interesting is a stroll along the pedestrian link to Moor Street which brings back memories of the passage at the rear of the Odeon down to the Market Hall and Station Street back in the '50s where we would run to catch the 147 to Hopwood.

It leaves Stephenson Street through what must have been the gents toilet and is a bit unfinished until you re-appear in sunlight along the north flank wall above the platforms bounded by another "green" wall. The "underground' section is a bit edgy and will certainly need improved lighting if it is to avoid falling into the old "Moor Street underpass muggers playground" scenario

P1050777a.jpg

By comparison the Bull Ring end is far better and provides good views of the platforms and the Cityscape.

P1050782a.jpg

The Stephenson Street frontage provides for some whacky reflections of the old Midland Hotel opposite and will have to be cleaned and polished regularly to maintain its appeal.

P1050787a.jpg

and this which reminds me of tumbling out of the Trocadero during my student days.

P1050789a.jpg

Certainly worth a visit.

Attachments

• thumb_P1050777a.jpg
    thumb_P1050777a.jpg
    2 KB · Views: 138
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back