• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Newspapers : From Birmingham Post 150 years ago

He would have been thought of as "Radical", so polite society would have avoided him, but I think his Ideology, was based on him earning more interest out of property than just owning it, so probably capitalist in nature. Paul

Opening of Central library

opening_of_new_central_library.jpg

Death again on duddeston Mill crossing, which, of course was later replaced for safety reasons

death_at_duddeston_mill_crossing.jpg

Crinoline caught in machinery

caught_by_her_crinoline.jpg

Not sure what happened to the link, but have re-posted the three cuttings in the first post of this thread

Big fire in Bradford St/ A long report, so this is just the first part
Another part of a long report, entitles A Cockney View of Birmingham. I admit I haven't heard of this before
Report of a narrow escape of an actor who was playing around that time in Birmingham, which resembles happenings in a silent film comedy

big_fire_in_bradford_st_part.jpg
a_cockney_view_of_birmingham_part_of.jpg
Escape_of_Mr_Addison.jpg

An Irish joke based on fact, though, to be honest, it would not surprise me if the second of these occurrences were reported to have happened in the UK today,
The first would not of course happen, as it would mean the authorities at least making an attempt to be careful and economical

Irish_stories.jpg

Last edited:
Description of new central library on day it will be opened. That is the new library which would later be burnt down

opening_of_free_library_1.jpg
opening_of_free_library_2.jpg

Collapse of railway bridge in Livery St, with, amazingly, no deaths and only one injury.

collapse_of_railway_bridge_in_livery_st.jpg

Presumably magnesium light was produced by burning magnesium , like the old style photographic procedure. would have thought it would have to be quite a large amount of magnesium to be visible over the city for any length of time

magnesium_light.jpg

Foundation stone laid for Masonic Hall in New St. It was between Temple St & Bennett's Hill. Presumably it was replaced later by the edifice in Broad St.

foundation_stone_of_masonic_hall.jpg

Am still not sure what was happening when the fire engine went one way and the horses the other. I note the use of "jockey" for the fire engine driver. I suppose that was appropriate as the engine was racing to the fire.

full_speed_away_from_the_fire.jpg

Advert for opening of new Central library. It will not exactly be that easy to become a member, as your application has to be signed by 2 burgesses who will be responsible for you returning books , and presumably have to pay for them if you don't. So it is only really usable to people with good friends, or who know very trusting burgesses.

opening_of_central_library.jpg

Death of Westley Richards the gunmaker

death_of_Mr_Westley_Richards.jpg

#2204/1, I am not conversant with the percentage of the working class's literacy, but at this time would have been quite low, though the 1840's education act had been in force for some time, #2004/2, I am surprised Mr Richards had any time for any form of work, given the amount of official positions he held. Paul

Paul
Look at the number of paid positions many of today's senior people have . In most cases it is largely honorary , and in fact they are being paid to do nothing. In many cases they probably do more harm than good.

People around Oldbury (though it seems to be more Rowley Regis to me) would have done well to keep away from Newbury Lane at this time

dangerous_rifle_range.jpg

Women falls 40 ft onto passing man, gets up aand goes back to work. The man not so lucky.

women_falls_onto_man2C_knocking_him_unconscious_and_walks_away.jpg

Accident at New St station, luckily no people hurt

accident_at_new_st_station~0.jpg

Interesting to see how potentially drowned persons were then treated in an attempt to revive them. The old methos mentioned of hanging them up by their heels sounds difficult to do , and possibly useless

treating_drowned_persons.jpg

Interesting to see how potentially drowned persons were then treated in an attempt to revive them. The old methos mentioned of hanging them up by their heels sounds difficult to do , and possibly useless

treating_drowned_persons.jpg
The methods have evolved during our life times. Is the BeeGees Staying Alive still the method in vogue?

Proof that the onion fair was once actually to do with onions and not just a fair for people to enjoy themselves

proof_that_the_onion_fair_was_once_to_do_with_onions.jpg

Stratford House used as a school
Beer slops treated and resold cheap !!

Stratford_House_as_a_school.jpg
beer_slops_treated_and_resold.jpg

It is carbon dioxide (together with lack of oxygen) that causes death for people caught in confined spaces. but the thought of saturating the place with ammonia to absorb it would, I think, be counterproductive

ammonia_to_remove_carbon_dioxide.jpg

Never heard of pet starling, and 10 shillings was a fair bit of money in those days for a reward

lost_starling.jpg

Back