• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Newspapers : From Birmingham Post 150 years ago

Aston Lower Grounds were converted into a pleasure grounds, run by a commercial company. A large part was later to become the Aston Villa Ground.

Aston_lower_grounds_28129.jpg

If that applied today then there would be an awful lot of scouts (and scoutmasters) in prison.
I wonder what the vicar had against friendly societies.

sleeping_under_tents.jpg

vicar_against_friendly_societies.jpg

An awful lot of time and deliberation seems to haev been used in a Wolverhampton council meeting over a clock

wolverhamptons_deliberations_on_a_clock.jpg

All that was available at Aston Lower Grounds. now there is just Aston Villa football ground and a supermarket.
The proprietor must have been sure of himself to offer £10 for the man to come forward.

aston_lower_grounds.jpg

PS10_to_make_a_complaint.jpg

Well mike its very intrestingabout the high and the lower grounds around the villa grounds I spent many hours down there and in the park
But I never thought I would ever see the day villa would be put up for sale what a sad day it is. Alan astonian

But I never thought I would ever see the day villa would be put up for sale what a sad day it is. Alan astonian[/QUOTE]

Alan,

Football clubs are continually being put up for sale. Doug Ellis sold it to Randy Lerner and now Lerner wants to pass it on. I am not a Villa supporter but I think that most of them are pleased that it is likely to get new owners soon who may have money for transfers.

Chris (Old Boy)

The end of the Aston Park company that originally bought the park, with no purpose after the corporation finally bought it.
They certainly liked things like this then, whether genuine or not. A seven foot tall boy of five years of age ?

aston_park_company_to_be_dissolved.jpg

giant_boy.jpg

Yes that's possible, though a peculiar way of putting it. I assume there is not a variety of carthorse (like the Suffolk Punch) called Entire

Looking at it further it seems that in the 19th & early 20th century it was common to refer to entire cart horses, and also entire horses:

On 10th April 1863 the following item appeared in the ‘Pembrokeshire Herald‘:
“…CARDIGAN. CARDIGAN AGRICULTURAL CLUB – The annual show of Stallions took place at Cardigan on Monday, the 6th inst., to compete for the prizes given by the Cardigan Agricultural Society, &c, when the prizes were awarded as follows:- The prize given by James Bevan Bowen, Esq. for the best entire thoroughbred horse was awarded to Hospodar, by Hetman Platoff: the prize given by the Society for the best entire cart horse was awarded to Young Nelson; the prize for the best entire horse calculated to get good active cobs was awarded to Trotting Rattler. The judges were J. W. Adams, Esq, Brynda, J. Griffiths, Esq, Treforgan, S. Parker, Esq, Stepaside, W. L. Wagner, Esq, Manorived…”

Fraud of this kind - inserting adverts into directories which have not been requested, and then charging is not a new offence.
At this time, smallpox is still a problem, despite the introduction of vaccination.
This notice concerning Blanche Chetwynd would be the first signs of what would be a notorious divorce case, where the wife, married at 18, counter-sued the 41 year old husband, and a supporter of the husband was ruled to be in comtempt of court for threatening to reveal facts about her if she did not withdraw her case.
It has been unusually warm today, but similar hot days were recorded at this time 150 years ago.

Cornish_directories_fiddles.jpg

report_on_smallpox.jpg

blanche_chetwynd.jpg

temperature.jpg

Somehow this "suggestion" of removing the library so the people reading newspapers do not get disturbed seems somewhat like the modern suggestions that libraries should be full of computers, and books are not important really.
Description of the whitsuntide fair (in two parts to ensure it can be read clearly.

remove_the_library.jpg

whitsuntide_fair28129.jpg

whitsuntide_fair28229.jpg

Had to look up Hamadryads, and if they had some then it must of been quite a coup for the circus, as they are completely mythical, though there is a Hamadryad baboon, so maybe they substituted one of these. Bit like the governement promising millions in new money for a worthwhile project, when its only old money with a different name attached to it.

hamadryads.jpg

Pleasure barge on the canal. Not quite sure by where they mean by Holte. somewhere in Aston presumable

pleasure_barge_to_Holte.jpg

Yes .. it would be Holte Fleet. Many the happy hour spent on a Riverboat Shuffle in the 1960s from Worcester, listening to jazz bands.

HI CHARLIE
Nice to hear from you i personaly have not heard from you in a long time ;anyway;
I recon you have nailed it I would also think and mean holte fleet as it was very popular with brummies especialy for fishing and camping
All those years ago; our kid kept his caravan down there for years
Hi Mike ;is it worth checking out the name knibbs and soho wharf for that period in brum for that peroiod in time and see what comes up agaist his name ?.
he may have cruised up from brum to worcester bridge as years ago alot of people kept boats of all sizes moored there
and in that way whilst he dropps of people at holte heath and continued to worcestershire as you know in those days alot of familys either came from worcester to live and in the same token alot of people came up to brum for friut picking and etc for a week or two especialy if they never had a car or could not and prefere a sharra bang journey best wishes to you both [ charlie and mike ] oh and of course all our members best wishes astonian;;; alan;;

Alan
John Knibb is listed in the 1862 directory as being the proprietor of Soho Pool at Factory road, and in 1867 as pleasure boat builder & beer & wine retailer at Soho Pool

Thanks mike for your reply ,excuse me mike could you just remind me where about was Soho pool factory road
As that factory road is buzzing my head was it down by st Michaels hill in those times its really bugging me the name of factory red
I am sure I know of it but its been donkeys years since I was down there many thanks alan

Alan
The address should have had a comma in it -Soho Pool, Factory Road. Factory road ran/runs from the end of St Michael's Road to the junction with Park Road, though in the 1866 map below it appears to include St Michael's Road and be called Factory Lane. Soho Pool can be seen, though I am not sure exactly where access to the pool from Factory Road/Lane was .

63_a1b3.jpg

Hi mike
Many thanks for your reply
I thought it was where you said it was but I was not to sure but now you have confirmed it to me I know that my memory is was correct
Because I had worked in factory road at the time I was sixteen years old at a place called the Birmingham bottle exchange
And it was my uncle bill smart and his brother whom was the foreman there whom gave me the first job I ever had
Knowing now where it was exactly now where the fork in the road when you come down st Michaels hill and slightly bear to the right
Ahead was a dead end of a road but as you approach the road. There was a big house and ajoing offices
Attached was a huge grounds which went right back with ware housing and storage yard
And going by what you said about the canal there was some sort of water brook running down along the property's
And with the big ajoing property I wonder whether or not that's where knibs with his beer retailers yard was along with his boat
This Birmingham bottle exchange as been going on for decades,they had huge lorries ,and what they did was to go out all over the Birmingham and Wolverhampton
To all the well known brewery's and milk dairies and bring back to the premises thousands and thousands of bottles
Every dairy and brewers had hundreds and hundreds of crates of bottles all mixed up and dirty as well
The Birmingham bottle exchange had a weekly contract to fetch and clean and sort all the bottles and put them in appropriate cases
And re deliver them back to the dairy or brewers from where ever they came from
It had huge washing machine and bottling plant running around the yard and premises
They would unload the big huge lorrys of the thousand crates there was three lorries big huge ones traveling every day out to all parts of the country
That would unload there crates straight off the lorry and dropped them off the side of the wagons on to a track that would run down the yard
To one part of the ware house where there would be labourers unloadind the crates of the track and then send them down to a score of ladies
And loading another track and to go through the washing area and another section was the ladies re filling the bottles to the right
Crates so the brewers and dairies had all the right bottles in appropriate order so the company's could used them straight away
I am thinking this premises could have been knibbs owing to the bottling and aces to the canal
The houses down factory red are all very old oriniginle builds
This Birmingham bottle exchange and the surrounding land and property's was bought by a man whom family was of up standing wealthy people
And the generations of this persons family and it still operational today
So I suspect this was k nibbs property also across the road from there was a very old family of timber merchants yard
Which I suspect had his timbers by boat brought in and may be that could also had been connect to knibbs
I do believe the generation of practicing solicitors are still there
Incidently I may mention my uncles brother whom was the foreman was Bert smart I do believe jean grew up with him as such
From holte road best wishes and thanks again Alan, astonian,,,,

No computers then , and no children's books on the shelf because they were all out.
Selly Park Estate being developed.

childrens_book_spopular_in_library.jpg

Selly_park_estate.jpg

Following the announcment of th epleasure barge trips on 23rd (post 1459) the Holt Fleet Inn obviously thought they'd get in on the act.
Dancing on the green to a band outside the pub . Sounds quite modern for 1864.

Holt_Fleet_inn.jpg

dancing_on_the_green_at_Bournbrook_tavern.jpg

Hi mike just a brief word on about the thread you are mentioning regarding the knibb family
I have not put the full story but what do you make of this bit of info, on the knibbs family of Shockley /hands worth
That during the war years and during a raid on the 4 December Mr Edward knibbs and 17 year old son was was summoned to London to see the king for an award
And it also states in this book he was one of the first of Birmingham men to go before the king to receive a George medal
As he was recommended for rescuing some people with out the regard for his own life
Its states Mr knibbs was a general dealer aged 55 years old and he was very nervous of meeting the king and never slept for days but he spent area days in London with his young son aged 17 years old and had a great time they seen all the sights of London
it states at the end of the story in the book that there is a picture of Mr knibbs wearing his three war medals at the top of the orininal story
Its not in this book thou ,so I can only presume its means it is in the news paper which states Birmingham dispatch 25 June 1941 page 3,1
I have not put the full story what do you think on that mike Alan. astonian,,,,

A supposed explanation for the claimed early Soho photographic images reported some months before. this Hancox sounds quite a character.

a_suggested_explanation_for_the__early_soho_photograpic_images.jpg

Back