• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Newspapers : From Birmingham Post 150 years ago

As I shall be away from my computer for a couple of days, I am putting three days snippets on tonight. first:
An earlier use for what was, a few years later, to become West Brom's home ground for 3 years.
An interesting view by the Japanese of the British. I tend to think that the women wearing frames (presumably crinolines) to keep away the men, may have some truth in it.
An early view of thr professional doctor. Presumably prettiness is on a par with ability.

reforming_Dartmouth_cricket_club.jpg

interesting_views_of_the_british.jpg

All_the_attributes.jpg

And tomorrow:

Formation of a Co-op Society in Sparkbrook, 150 years after the movement seems to be falling apart.

formation_of_cooperative_society_in_sparkbrook.jpg

And Saturday

I suppose one way of being sure you get a review (of sorts) of your appearance, is to pay for it to be inserted in the classified columns.

one_way_of_getting_a_review.jpg

I'd have been queuing early at the newsstand for my copy! I expect many, many copies would have been bought by Birmingham residents after his fondly remembered Town Hall readings of 1853. And of course it's nice to know that Dickens had a soft spot for Birmingham too. Viv.

Aston Overseers taken to court for not paying their dues to Birmingham Corporation.

The Pope has his bit of fun with the sour-faced catholic convert

Aston_overseers_in_court.jpg

Pope__has_his_bit_of_fun.jpg

It has been commented on on the forum that inquests were usually held in pubs. Here objections to this, with good reason in the case cited, are given.

The explosions caused by leaks in sliding chandeliers supposedly prevented by new device.

problems_with_inquests_at_oubs.jpg

gas_explosions_prevented.jpg

22.4/1864
Campaign for universal suffrage, well, as long as they are male and ratepayers. Would probably have the support of Cameron and his Bullingdon club mates.

Would not think they would make much by selling it if it had already got names on it.

campaign_for_male_suffrage2C_if_they_are_ratepayers.jpg

gravestones.jpg

Had to read some sentences in the suffrage article 3 times to fully get the gist of the journalist's words. A good source material for GCE A level political history students. That'd get 'em 'thinking'! Anyway, it seems Mr Jones went into jail for his activities (before this article). He had dysentery and they stuck him in an uncleaned cell previously occupied by a cholera victim, obviously thinking that would be the last of him. So much for humanity, free speech etc. Viv.

Don't think I would want to have and attend a foundation stone laying ceremony for my grave; but the Victorians were a bit funny about death.

preparing_his_own_grave.jpg

Seems weird. It looks like there was a history though, something to do with 'recent public squabbles'. Mr Wilkes must have upset a few people. Viv.

Although we might think it weird, what about the cemeteries with large family vaults. When first acquired, it would probably have been in the lifetime of the first member of the family to be interred there.

Hi David and Mike ;
I Have to say dave and mike i was very intrested in these vaults and i do not think dave its weird to go and see and learn of our ancesters graves
or the cats or vaults of cemetrys i from time to time do o and look around these place
My family are Burryed in handsworth i have seen handsworth changing over the years at the cemetry and being extended larger
and visit some of these grave of foreign national and there ways and there dezigns of there tombs and head stones and especily the polish communetity
and i also freqent key hill and ickneild street cats; along with the warstone lane exit i do not class myself as weird
and we could learn alot from the victorians ways and methords and these older genertion of our period they had and have got true values compared with today
best wishes Astonian;;

A pub with an established hosiery trade. The image of nylons sold to the boat people is tempting, butwould actually be thick woollen items presumably.

boatmans_hosiery_trade.jpg

Probably a disincentive to living by the canal !

A disorderly solicitor gets his comeuppance.

a_disincentive_for_householders_living_next_to_the_canal_.jpg

Disorderly_solicitor.jpg

I was very interested to read this posting (1420) as the two gentleman named BROUGH are in my family tree ! I think the "problems" mentioned were probably related to being guardians at the West Bromwich Work House when their weekly committee meetings evidently got quite heated... according to the press reports in the Birmingham Daily Gazette. Thank you Mike, for another snippet to add to my Brough family history.

Regards, Margaret.

Sutton Park regulations. The hour restrictions are presumably to save delicate-minded ladies from embarrassment at seeing naked bodies, but would have the result that if anyone bathing got into trouble there might be minimal assistance available.

Infuriated cow. Was there not some comments on the forum some time ago about cattle being walked from Hockley?

Sutton_park_regulations.jpg

mad_cow.jpg

Interesting seeing those Sutton Park regulations, those fees were quite expensive in the 1860s. In the 1940s/1950s I seem to remember it was twopence admission fee for a child and I can remember having to show my ticket to the Park Keepers who were experts at catching kids who had sneaked in over the fence.

I assume it is still there. Maybe they could dig it up and sell it. Then our taxes could be cut. Likely? - fat chance

iron_ore_under_sandringham.jpg

I assume it is still there. Maybe they could dig it up and sell it. Then our taxes could be cut. Likely? - fat chance

As you say Mike fat chance because the Sandringham Estate is the private property of the Queen not Crown property. When Edward VIII abdicated, George VI had to buy it from the Duke of Windsor.

Cruel hoax (in two parts for readability).
Ribbons for the Shakespeare tercentenary.

matrimonial_hoax28129.jpg

matrimonial_hoax28229.jpg

shakespeare_tercentenary.jpg

On wonders in what way she is not to be trusted. It is unusually vague wording if he is just warning that he will not be responsible for her debts.
If it was like an oasis in the desert then, it would would be like an oasis on the moon today. If only modern "entrepreneurs" and other layabouts would be as honest today.

not_to_be_trusted.jpg

honorable_man.jpg

His nerves failed him entirely, and he trembled in every limb (save one, and that was a cork arm !) like an aspen leaf.

While expatiating on the beauties of his physiognomy ....

Eventually he was allowed to leave the house without suffering the threatened chastisements; and, in his precipitation, he fell down several stairs ....

Looking at a few phrases selected from the amusing report told by the Stockport Advertiser, it seems like the reporter was destined for a career in national tabloid newspapers.
I suppose a naive Yorkshire 'wife-hunter' is asking for trouble advertising in a Lancashire newspaper !

Development of New St-Worcester st junction.
Presentation of Shakespeare library to city.

New_st__Worcester_St_development.jpg

Shakespeare_library_presented_to_city.jpg

If memory serves me right the Shakespeare library of books survived the 1879 fire at the library and is still intact and housed in the new Library of Birmingham, presumably the Shakespeare room. Viv.

150th anniversary of the Shakespeare Library being handed over to the city would have been something to celebrate. Did anyone know?

Check this out - birminghamcentral.blogspot.co.uk/2014/04/knowledge-is-wing-wherewith-we-fly-to.html

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Back