• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Newspapers : From Birmingham Post 150 years ago

Riot of dissatisfied customers at the New Adelphi Theatre

New_Adelphi_theatre.jpg

'Simpson' would, I think, have been Mercer Hampson Simpson, Manager of the Theatre Royal. But don't know his connection with the New Adelphi Theatre. Viv.

Viv
Sounds like they were saying that the Royal would do a better job of presenting it. Not sure exactly what was going on , but the next day (on 28th) the following letter was in the Birm. Post, which seems to imply the theatre was let out and the normal operator is denying any responsibility for the shambles.

letter_concerning_adelphi_riot.jpg

Thanks Mike, sounds likely. And the Theatre itself seems to have been through it's ups and downs. According to British History Online, it had several name changes in a short space of time. The theatre lasted only 5 years:

"In 1861 the New Theatre, Moor Street, was licensed. Although it survived for only five years, it had at least four names in its short existence - the Amphitheatre, the New Theatre Royal, the New Adelphi Theatre, and the Royal Grecian Theatre".

(Extract from:
Economic and Social History: Social History since 1815', A History of the County of Warwick: Volume 7: The City of Birmingham (1964), pp. 223-245. URL: https://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=22967 )

Viv.

At first I thought the "Family Jars" referred to meant jars for funeral ashes, but then realisesd that cremations were not legal till the 1880s. Not sure what is meant by the term.

Family_Jars.jpg

£3000 was a very large sum of money at that time. they must have thought the chance of absconding with the taxes was quite large.
I don't know what the victorian phrase for "taking the ****" was, but I think Paul Pry was doing it .
Obviously Odd Man has a specific meaning , like nowadays films have "best boy"
So when the bellringers go on strike the councillors would have rung the bells themselves. I wonder if they would do similar if the roadsweepers were on strike.

income_tax_collectors.jpg

tax_paid_in_stamps.jpg

Odd_man.jpg

bell_ringers_on_strike.jpg

HI MIKE
Very intresting information and also pictures of yester years and the purchasing of aston park the old boys of the said councillors
do what they was doing i wonder whther or not one of the cadburys family was around in those days on the said council s they knew what they was doing
and when i hink of all my yester years like growing up in aston and like other of our members grew up aston park was always the place
and specialy for us kids of aston because we used to have huge shows put on for us almost every month and they was big shows of enterainers of all discriptions
there was always hundred of kids trying to get into the shows and get there seats to what the shows and it was free and i expect it cost money for the enterainers to
be brought to the park [ meaning the enterainers charging fees ] i dont think you could knock the council in those days but there again in any walk of life you always get the moaners and greavers thats life i am afraid today no matter wher you live we are a nation of moaners ;
on the subject of running off with the cash and fiddling it was called some times on the treacle stick for fiddling and there was corruption from alot of bussiness from them days
i know of one or two organised business and of people in a postion whom have done it in that period
i had amember of my family tree in those days which was printed in the manchester time whom fiddled some huge amount of money from a society whom they was in charge
of and they ran a bussiness as well but they got sust and they had to appear in court but the person and is soloctor was involved with he scam
and on the the day to appear and because of there potion in then the said society and they both wrote to the courts explaing none attendants saying they was both to ill to attend the judge through it out i will not name the main person involved but it was one of my family tree from that period
any way mikeplease keep your chin up as you are doing a great lot of hard work for us i have a close friend and neibour like your self whom done alot of researching and for the kings heath society will not mention is name but in the end because it cost him alot of time with his family growing up and of course is wife was missing out he threw the towel in i think he keeps is finger thou thanks mike best wishes alan ; astonian;

Report on success of the first cooperative store.
Incensed local objects to blockage in Carrs Lane. I think, from the 1862 directory, that the Mr Watson mentioned must be James Watson, cheese factor, Cars lane.
Plans for expanding St Pauls Church, Balsall Heath.

coopeerative_store_in_Birmingham.jpg

blockage_of_Carrs_lane.jpg

st_pauls_balsall_heath.jpg

Yes the Co-op piece is interesting. Already barely off the ground in B'ham Heath Street, Mr Nutter was predicting a need for shops to have a butcher's service and clothing. The thought of a Co-op along the lines of the one in B'ham High Street must have been a distant dream, especially when members joining were proving slow on the uptake.Viv.

Having tried to reply to mikegee's article on sending it I got the message
"The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least six characters".
My message was at least forty words, never mind six characters !

I'll give it another go.
"Blockade of Carrs Lane"
Has anyone noticed the correspondent's use of the word "durst" ?
Never having heard the word before, (except in German), I was surprised to find it in my Oxford dictionary.
I imagine it originates from "darest".

maypolebaz

See this,

durst (dûrst)v. Archaic A past tense and a past participle of dare

Having tried to reply to mikegee's article on sending it I got the message
"The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least six characters".
My message was at least forty words, never mind six characters !

I received the same message a couple of days ago, my post was long so could not understand. Suddenly, the whole thing disappeared. Anne

Shakespeare used these e.g Act 1 Scene 7 of Macbeth:

ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1391353496.976964.jpg

He puts durst, would'st, was't and esteem'st to good use. He seems to use these as well as the modern version in the same speech. Viv.

I received the same message a couple of days ago, my post was long so could not understand. Suddenly, the whole thing disappeared. Anne

Shortly after that I tried to send another message Anne, this time I was told I wasn't logged in-of course, I was.
This happens a lot and I think it's to do with the time it takes to type out a message.
I've tried allsorts to try and get around the problem.
Drives me barmy !

Following the trouble at the New Adelphi on the 27th Jan., the actors of the company were apparently offered a benefit performance to try and get some money for them, though the prospects do not look promising.
I had always assumed that the brewer at a pub was permanent , either part or full time, possibly the landlord. This shows that, for smaller pubs, peripatetic brewers went on the rounds of several pubs.

new_adelphi_benefit.jpg

brewing.jpg

suffrage.jpg

I wonder what would have happened to Aston hall if the council hadn't agreed to purchase it?

Reading the advertisement for A.W Anderson it seems you could lend a newspaper to read - I am assuming you read it on his premises and had to pay.

Just 4 years later in 1868, Aston Park along with Calthorpe Park and Adderley Park were discussed by a Select Committee on the Sale of Liquor on Sundays Bill. It was suggested that these parks were contributing to reducing drunkenness in Birmingham. They observed that they provided a place to stroll after Sunday lunch and sold only non-alcoholic beverages in their tea rooms. On one Sunday it was reported that 8,000 - 10,000 visited Aston Park.

The Committee also mentions a 'Three Parks Act' but haven't been able to find details of that. It relates to the three Birmingham parks.

And the Committee also noted that libraries weren't open on Sundays in the sense that it would provide another place of healthy occupation on a Sunday.

Viv.

Yes Polly, I assumed that that was how it would work with the newspaper.
With regard to Aston Hall, previous to this, in the newspapers there had been acres of reports and discussions on the subject. Basically it seems that the then mayor had previously invited Queen Victoria to open the park and implied in the invitation that the park would be purchased for the benefit of citizens by the council. At the time it was actually owned by a private company, which he had a relationship with. Later the company got into financial trouble and asked the council to buy the Hall. What had been said in the invitation then came out , though some letters mysteriously disappeared. Many citizens considered thta the city were honour-bound to buy the Hall as the mayor had already committed them, whereas others thought that the council would be burdened by the cost and that the Hall was outside the city and too far out for most to be able to access . Some local citizens offered to contribute a large sum towards the cost, and in the end the purchase went through, and the city did well out of it . If it had not gone through I would think the company would have gone into liquidation, the assets sold, and chances are , considering what often happened at that time, the hall would have been knocked down and the entire area covered by houses and industry. A part of the park had already been developed and covered by houses.

Thank you for that Mike. How incredible to think that Aston Hall was probably saved by the Mayors choice of words on an invitation.

Viv - that's a lot of visitors in one day - and all sober too by the sounds of it!

Back