• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Newspapers : From Birmingham Post 150 years ago

There was a warning about Vitriol throwing in London in the Times in 1867. Surprisingly not an unknown occurrence. Viv.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375305730.072806.jpg

An interesting description of a "modern" manufactory with comparison to the old.
A "joke" carried out , which could be dangeerous , causing serious fires.
A "regal" incarceration in the Cells.

new_match_manufactory.jpg

dangerous_joke.jpg

Royal_lunatic.jpg

A cow-race on racing Galloways
Sounds like a communication cord. Can't find this chap associated with the introduction of the same, but it was first introduced in 1868
Oh for the same to happen today in response to a simple request

racing_Galloways.jpg

communication_cord.jpg

requested_extra_postal_delivery.jpg

A peacock in Bull St must have attracted a lot of attention.
Report on the one-legged versus one-armed cricket match teams.

peacock_in_bull_St.jpg

one-armed_v_one_legged_cricket_match.jpg

David
Laura has replied that she had seen it some time ago, but that now I reminded her of it, she will probably be putting it in her blog next week

This was a harbour porpoise, nowadays with tv not a very strange site, but then an exotic beast

harbour_porpoise.jpg

I like the detail that the cap was dusted with flour. no 63 Coleshill St is a grocers, but would not have thought working there would cover people in flour
Did not realise that criminals were sever separated by religion in regard to their place of reform

cap_dusted_with_flower.jpg

plan_for_catholic_reformatory_in_Liverpool.jpg

A site has been chosen, in Cambridge st, for the first of the proposed dining rooms for the industrious poor.
Swans for sale. I thought , with a few isolated exceptions swans belonged to the Queen, or is that just down south.
The ginger beer machine definitely sounds like a creation of Emmett.
Antics of a young girl.
An even more extreme device than Heath Robinson himself might find difficult to imagine
Description of working Newcoman's first steam engine.
Killed by a fall of malt.
Collapse of Bilston churchyard.

Dining_hall_for_the_working_man__site_fixed.jpg

swans_for_sale.jpg

ginger_beer_machine.jpg

antics_of_young_girl.jpg

war_turtle.jpg

working_Newcomans_original_steam_engine.jpg

killed_by_fall_of_malt.jpg

Collapse_in_bilston_churchyard.jpg

Not sure what cows hair was used for, but it obviously had a value.
Would not call this pickpocketing.
Dinner to celebrate the completion of the new Wednesbury station.

stealing_cow_hair.jpg

t_have_called_this_pickpocketing.jpg

Wednesbury_statiion_building_completed.jpg

Quote" Not sure what cows hair was used for, but it obviously had a value"

I believe cows hair was used in the plastering trade in those times.

Yes, on thinking about it i can remember helping demolish an old wall in a house which was lathe and plaster, and there were some sort of fibres mied in with it.

Must have caused some amusement , if there was anyone around with my sense of humour in those days that a celebration of the completion of the London and North Western station should have taken place in a pub named after the rival Great Western

A very quick service. I can understand why people were annoyed.
Unlike many products advertised in Victorian papers, Keating's Persian insect destroying powder would have worked , as it was the crushed dried flowers of varieties of pyrethrum, the artificial equivalent still being used as an insecticide.
How the mechanical age has changed people's knowledge. how many people today would not know what a spanner was ?

quick_funeral.jpg

insect_destroying_powder.jpg

tool_called_a_spanner.jpg

At this time Balsall Heath had a Floricultural society of which the Prince of Wales allowed his name to be associated. Couldn't imagine that 100 years later.
Another event at Hagley. The catering sounds very nice.

Prince_of_wales_floricultural_society.jpg

affluent_fete.jpg

The Hagley Fete food supplied by Mr Heyden looks like a good mix for all tastes. Lobster seems grand by today's standards, but maybe it was cheaper in the 1860s. I had to check out 'collard' eels. Couldn't find an exact description but seems the eels might have been stewed, perhaps with greens(?). Like the sound of the veal and ham pie and venison patties. All looks like pretty upmarket stuff to me. Viv.

"Mrs. Beeton" says collared eels are skinned split, then sprinkled with a mixture of herbs, cloves, mace and allspice which have been pounded finely. Then rolled and bound and boiled in vinegar and water and kept in this boiling liquor with more vinegar. It seems to be like "Soused Herrings" or maybe "Rollmops".
rosie.

That would make sense Rosie. But can't say it makes the eels any more appetising (well not to me) ! Viv.

Yes, on thinking about it i can remember helping demolish an old wall in a house which was lathe and plaster, and there were some sort of fibres mied in with it.

That, Mike, was most probably horsehair which helps the mortar to key on the lath.

State of hockley Brook
Fire at Weoley Castle Farm
What would he have got if they did not take his injuries into account?
Perhaps not a good idea to try begging from the Superintendent of Police.

state_of_Hockley_Brook.jpg

weoley_castle_farm_fire.jpg

what_would_he_have_got_without_consideration.jpg

beggar_approaches_super_of_police.jpg

The smell apparently was the only problem. Never mindthe fire hazard, though this did not seem to matter to them.
Revenge on the police.

quite_apart_from_the_fire_hazard.jpg

revenge_against_police.jpg

Sutton's residents petition council
They get part of what they want, but wouldn't think they would be happy.
One way of getting the required result

drink_in_sutton_Park.jpg

drink_in_sutton_Park.jpg

one_way_of_getting_it_done.jpg

Back