• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

New John Street West & New John Street

Re: New John Street West.

Stars. Looking through a 2004 issue of Carl Chinn mag the name Dougie Greatrex was mentioned as part of the persons gang when he lived in NJW.

Re: New John Street West.

Hi Topsyturvey
That's very interesting. If it is the same Dougie, which it probably is. I would love to look at that. would it be possable to
scan it and inbox me. i would be very greatful. He was my moms brother and he was on heir hunters a couple of years ago.

Thanks Stars

Hi
Here is a couple of the street taken in the 60s, i have not seen these posted before, if they have i appologise.

Image7_New_John_St_West_2.jpg

Image5_Red_House_Inn_New_John_St_West.jpg

Stars

cracking pics stars.new to me as well..its strange but i never imagined njsw having front gardens..and is that a clocking in clock just past the bus stop..mike i wonder if you could see where abouts in njsw JP LUNT was please..

lovely colour pic of the red house pub..

thank you..

lyn

Last edited:
Hi Lyn,from memory, it was only that stretch between Wheeler St and Great King St that had front gardens.Moss.

Hi Moss & Lyn
Moss is right the photo with jp Lunt Ltd Is showing the stretch between Well St and Wheeler St.
The red house inn dates back to 1883. The yard to the left of the pub was the previous site of 10 back to back
houses.

stars

Another one
This is at the junction of New John Street West and Great Russell St.
Note the new brickwork to repair or upgrade the shop.

Image1_At_the_junction_of_New_John_St_West_and_Great_Russell_St.jpg

Photo Courtesy of D. Norton

stars

Did you notice the policeman or is it a security guard in the picture fo The Red House?
I was wondering if it was used as a secure car park by Joseph Lucas,as they were the lagest employer in the area.

Hi mossg
Yes i noticed the guard, i thought at first it was a copper having a crafty fag lol.
But yes it is likely it may have been used as a car park.

Stars

Re: new john st

Hi Lyn
Yes it is definetly New John Street West. My Mom often talked about it and i have my relatives on the electoral roll and i just checked the map you gave me. So it was New John Street West.

thanks for your help Stars

Hi Stars

My Gt Grandfather, Joseph Hands was born at 23 New John Street West, on 16 Sept 1866. His father is Philip William Hands (known as William Hands throughout the Census, except 1881) who is a Jeweller. Joseph's mother is Sarah Hands, nee Richards.

This is probably a shot in the dark, but have you any connection to the "HANDS" family or know anything about them, as your family members may have lived nearby. Is 23 New John Street West in view, on the photo, do you know.

I would like to try to find out where my Gt Grandfather, Joseph Hands was Baptised. Have you any idea how I can trace this and what Church would be in this location, to where he was born.

I would be very grateful for any help.

Many thanks
Joan Harvey (nee Hands)

Hi Joan
Not Hands But My gt grandparents and My Nan were Harvey and my nan lived in New John St West, my Mom was born in N/J/W The Harvey's were Harry and Annie.

Regards Stars

Hi Stars

Thanks for your message. The name Harvey was my married name. My ex-husbands, Harvey family came from Belfast, Ireland, so I have no direct connection to them. But thanks anyway for your reply.

If there is anyone with connections to the HANDS Family, who have lived in New John Street, West or Blews Street, Hurst Street and Hingestion Street. I would be pleased to hear from you.

Regards
Joan Harvey (nee Hands)

cracking pic topsy..ive not seen that one before..looks to be at the junction with summer lane..

lyn..

Nice picture Topsy,it is taken on the corner of New John st and Elkington st looking towards Hockley Brook.It shows the rear of the Newtown Palace on the left.Moss

Nice picture Topsy,it is taken on the corner of New John st and Elkington st looking towards Hockley Brook.It shows the rear of the Newtown Palace on the left.Moss

quite right moss...what threw me into thinking it was taken at the junction of summer lane was the line of 5 block of flats but then i could not see c brandaurs which should have been on the right of the pic...good job you know yer way round lol..

thanks moss

lyn

In 1930 my mother lived at 212 New John Street West. She is now nearly 90 and has drawn me a map showing the houses and shops around her house .On the corner was a pub then a wash house and then 212 going from the pub and turning left on ?????? road there was a sweet shop a news agents and then a cleaners. Opposite the Pub on the corner of New john street west was a fruit and Veg Shop. The houses on this side of the road were much larger than the two up two down mother lived in. The larger houses had a court yard to the rear. Mum went to school in Farm Street then in Icknield Street. Mum also remembers going out of NJSW turning left and then right and going up a hill to a park past the fruit and veg shop on the corner. Any information about the area and the street would be most welcome. Mum was only 8 years old at the time of living there.

Hi
My mother was born and lived in NJSWest. She may have also gone to farm st school in the 30s. Later on in years her mother (my nan) returned to live in guest grove, just off Farm Street, where she lived out the rest of her life.
It would be nice if you could scan the map your mom made and post it.

Thanks for her memories. Stars

This is definitely the Holmes' Rag & Bone family in New John Street. We lived at 135 New John Street & the Holmes family lived just up the street. My mom used to play with Rita Holmes in the 1930's & I have a picture of them sitting on the front of the Holmes' lorry. The Rag & Bone yard was still there up to the early sixties as I remember it from when I was a child (born 1955). Great to see this picture, I haven't been on the site for a while & don't recall seeing it before.

Another picture from my past! The billboard with the cigarette advert has a little wall underneath it & we used to hold on to the edge of the billboard & work our way along (going towards the Newtown Palace). Also just past the billboards is a dark fronted building, it looks like the White Swan pub. There was a lovely old lady there & she gave me a bracelet & necklace when I went in the outdoor with my Mom. Later the pub was occupied by the Glenn family. The daughter, Fay, was in my brother's class at Elkington Street School (in the 60's).

This is definitely the Holmes' Rag & Bone family in New John Street. We lived at 135 New John Street & the Holmes family lived just up the street. My mom used to play with Rita Holmes in the 1930's & I have a picture of them sitting on the front of the Holmes' lorry. The Rag & Bone yard was still there up to the early sixties as I remember it from when I was a child (born 1955). Great to see this picture, I haven't been on the site for a while & don't recall seeing it before.

I think its where it meets Newe Town Row... Summer Lane is up the road,..the new flats at Unett St are in the distance.. bottom left shows where they had demolished the White Horse pub ( Ithink)

Back