• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

New John Street West & New John Street

Re: New John Street West.

hi
My nan & Grandad (George and Doris Greatrex) lived at 132 New john Street West. I have them on a 1920 electoral roll up until 1955. Also my late mother Doris was there from 1927 to 1950. So i was realy pleased to see the photo's.
Thanks for sharing them with us Stars (Eric)

Just bringing this thread back in to play as i feel sure Lyn has not seen my picture on post #26 yet.Moss

she has now moss...thank you its good to be back...well there you go..now maybe you will beleive me when i say never give up on finding pics...they are out there somewhere and you must be delighted...is this the missing pub you were after to complete that map of yours...tell you what its a good un....well done you....is that gt russel st on the left..you know how i like to get me bearings...

lyn

Lyn i am still missing a few,one being The Red House which was on the corner of New John St West and Wheeler St,and there until the early 1960s.Yes Gt Russell St is to the left.Moss.

Last edited:
And i will keep my eyes open for The Globe on Hospital Street Lyn,which is another one on my map.Moss.

thats a deal moss..as you know the globe was bombed out so it wasnt around as long as the red house but never give up the hunt...oh another one is the red lion corner of summer lane and bridge st west..built the police station on the ground..demolished around 1918 i think so that may also prove difficult...

lyn

tospy as you know there are 5 blocks of flats along njsw....roughly and only roughly the corner shop in your pic would have been where the 3rd block is from the right of this pic which is geach tower...i do have this pic and its one of my favourites as gt hampton row pics are very few and far between...i also spent about 8 years living in geach tower with my four very young children with only two bedrooms...not a nice experience but i managed to escape eventually after a massive battle with bsc...

lyn

Last edited:
Astoness, Thanks! I Should have been able to work it out,as i only lived in Sayer House down the road from Geach Tower.Must have had a senior moment this morning i don,t know what made me think it was over by unett street.

i think a similar pic has been posted before but i cant find it..if i remember moss posted it but it was not very good quality so here it is again...will also post it on the gt hampton row thread i think..wonder who those 2 little kiddies are out playing...

Thanks Mossg

great to see these photo's again, it's where my mom and family lived for many years. Thanks for sharing them with us.

regards Stars

thanks moss..i will go and check my njsw pics and see if i can add anymore to the thread...

cheers..

lyn

I think the only safe way is through coppermine it's fine once you get the hang of it.
Westwood_bakery.jpg

reposted the wrong one...this is not njsw but new st/high st.. aston..

New20Street20Aston20Birmingham.jpg

Last edited:
you are quite right john..i posted the wrong pic...good job you are here to check me out lol...will leave it there i think...will just edit my post..

lyn

Hi all used to live in new john street west as a 6 to 9 year old does anyone remember the bad accident outside box carton factory i think it was fatal as one poor soul was wrapped round a lampost, i lived back of 58 and remember seeing a ghost of a man playing a grand piano(my brother saw it as well) someone told me later in life that there was once a old music school behind our house

thanks topsy..that was one i did not save...no stopping you now is there lol

lyn

Re: new john st

I have 4 addresses in N-J-west of where my relatives lived i notice that one of my nos 14 court 47

regards Stars

Back