• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Mills Of Birmingham

• Thread starter Thread starter O.C.
  • Start date Start date
Oh well, will still look into it for you, I went of on a tangent there down the wrong road as usual, sorry about the spelling in the last post, we have a new keyboard and yes I know the letters are in the same place, but these seem to be very far about. :flower: :cat:

How about this: YARDLEY MILL or WASH MILL..... its pool lay on the east of the Cole near the junction of Millhouse Road and Wash Lane. In 1385 the Earl of Warwick granted to Richard Bradewell the site of a mill in Yardley called Wodemill on which to build a mill, and Bradewell held this mill 1403-04. It was a corn mill. It weas occupied by Richard Shaw in 1797, was occupied by Thomas Wardbrough in 1840-4, John Thornton in 1846-51, Joseph Lee 1852-7, Henry Smith 1859-82, and probably became a farm in the early 20th century. :flower: :cat:

Ya a Darling , I had not got time to check on it myself but knew a mill was on that site but no one seemed to know I just got to pinpoint to where it was. My guess is West of the old fire station in Wash Lane ( someone now will say, What fire station )

I know I am, hubby keeps saying that, but I don't wish to blow my own trumpet. now you know what mills and all types mean to me, sad I know!!! :flower: :cat:

I've found John Thornton on the 1851 census.

Head: THORNTON, John    Neighbors     318093
Name Relationship Mar Age Sex Occupation Birthplace
John  THORNTON Head M 31 M Miller Solihull-WOR
Mary A.  THORNTON Wife M 31 F --- London-MID
Elizabeth  THORNTON Daur - 4 F --- Yardley-WOR
John  THORNTON Son - 3 M --- Yardley-WOR
Chas.  THORNTON Son - 1 M --- Yardley-WOR
Ann  BROWN Vist W 64 F Widow Of Linen Draper ----KEN
Sarah  CHAMBRLAIN Serv U 21 F House Servant Balsall-WAR
John  GARRISON Serv U 21 M House Servant Yardley-WOR
Address: Wash Mill, Solihull
Census Place: Yardley Solihull, Warwickshire
PRO Reference: HO/107/2071 Folio: 27 Page: 18 FHL Film: 0087335

Loisand did ya know there were 7 water mills in Yardley in Medieval Times and 2 just outside the boundary

Comwell how many have I got right, here goes:

Bach Mill

Titterford Mill

Lady Mill

Greet Mill and Lower Greet Mill

Hay Mill

Broomhall Mill

Wash Mill

Medleys Mill

:-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\

:flower: :cat:

Loisand Ya daint do a bad job but as the names changed a lot if we start from first recorded
Greet Mill 1275
Wodemilne 1349
Greethurst 1437
Hayemill 1495
Sarehole Mill 1542
Lower Greet Mill 1725
Broomhall Mill 1778

Stetchford Mill 1249
Bach Mill (Known later as Colebrook Priory Mill 1495

River Cole is 25 miles long

At least we are both on the same track, I just had trouble as to where Yardley started and finished, but then forgot that it was probably all known as Yardley instead of the districts of today. :angel:

Loisand Yardley started at Yardley Wood Took in Billesley Common Greet Common to Stetchford over to Lea Hall
I have a good map which I can scan in two halves for ya

What would I do without you and your countless bits of info that you send my way, the answer is yes please

Loisand I have a book that you can borrow called Medieval Yardley I dont mind if I post it or your hubby can pick it up as I have a feeling you live close by

Thanks Cromwell, if you don't mind I will leave it till the autumn/winter when for some unknown reason I seem to have more time to do things, don't worry I won't forget.

Re: The Mills of Birmingham - Wash Mill

Back to Wash Mill, Yardley, the Victoria County Histgory has this to say:
Yardley or Wash Mill and its pool lay on the east of the Cole near the junction of Millhouse Road and Wash Lane. In 1385 the Earl of Warwick granted to Richard Bradewell the site of a mill in Yardley called Wodemill on which to build a mill, and Bradewell still held Wodemill in 1403-4. What was probably this mill, then called Oldemill, was subject to the same rent of 6s. 8d. in 1479-80, but it did not pay rent in that year. Two watermills in the manor of Yardley were mentioned in the 16th and 17th centuries, and three in Yardley and King's Norton in 1648. Yardley Mill was shown in the 18th century and may have been the mill occupied by Richard Shaw in 1797. It remained a corn mill in the 19th century, and was occupied by Thomas Wardbrough (1840-4), John Thornton (1846-51), Joseph Lee (1852-7), and Henry Smith (1859-82). It was marked as a corn mill in 1886, and may have become a farm in the early 20th century.
From: 'Economic and Social History: Mills', A History of the County of Warwick: Volume 7: The City of Birmingham (1964), pp. 253-69. URL: https://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.asp?compid=22970. Date accessed: 18 July 2006.

I have been comparing the 1905 OS map with 1945 and 1996 street maps, and have done the rough overlay below.
Also here is a view of the ford where the old Hob Moor Lane crossed the Cole. In fact the cart-way seems to have gone along the river bed for some distance. As the mill race parallel with the river here probably normally took the bulk of the water, the Cole wouldn't have been very deep here.
Peter

Peter
Now thats what I call a nice bit of research, Well Done I walked that stretch of river many times in my youth and know it quite well

Cromwell have you seen the picture that is posted on the site "Maps and Mapping", of Sheep St. and Gem St., it shows the Dog and Duck, Holloway Head 1868, and behind it is the tower of Chapmans windmill.

"Chapman's Windmill is said to have been built about 1745 by Samuel Chapman, who was the owner in 1774. Thomas Griffiths, miller, was in occupation in 1777, and the windmill was shown in 1778. By the 1850's it was in ruinous conditions. Later it was converted into a summerhouse, from the top of which fine panoramic views of the town could be seen. Demolished in the 1870's."

At this point there was a dog leg in the lane and anyone crossing the ford with a waggon and horse had to travel along the riverbed before turning into the lane again.

Now I have got the proof I needed about Aston Brook thanks to Master of the Maps Richard Abbott at Central Library who spent a lot of time with me sorting it all out.
From a 1758 map it Hockley Brook till it left Hockley then it became Aston Brook till it reached the River Tame at Salford
1800's onwards it went back to Hockley Brook

Loisand I think you deserve this photo its the Miller at Castle Brom 1900c

Loisand I need to mention this, have you got the "Windmills of Birmingham and the Black Country" its got loads of photo's in written by Joseph McKenna and best of all it is only £3 from Brewin Books

Cromwell no I haven't got that book, I have "Windmills in Warwickshire byWilfred A seaby and Arthur C Smith", which is a contemporay survey, it's very good for present day windmills, but not for bygone years, will look out for the book you have mentioned.

loisand, Ihave found this map of TETTIFORD MILL & POOL in Yardley Wood in 1847.
Is this the one you were looking for?
SORRY IF SOME ONE BEAT ME TO IT?
ASTON

Resized O0

Back