• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Market Hall 1835 - 1963

image.jpg

Glad you like the photos Eddie. Here's another view from the 1930s.

The stall where you browsed the records (probably to the left as you entered the Hall from the Bull Ring) was where the piano was kept, but hidden by the stall full of popular music (must have been 78s at that time). The record stall was next to a sewing machine shop. As a 6 year old, I expect you were eager to see the pet stall too! I remember the stall but when the roof had gone. Viv.

Last edited:
No wonder they they decided to remove the fountain - it's spectacular, but enormous! This was certainly no ordinary market hall with this sort of adornment, it's rules and regulations and high quality produce on sale. Ironically, by moving the fountain to Highgate Park must have saved it from the disaster that later removed the roof in WW2. Viv.

image.jpg

Last edited:
I don't think this has been mentioned before. When the Market Hall was being planned, the properties on the land had to be bought up to make way for the new building. Several problems got in the way of the plans becoming reality, one being in the form of two shop owners who were asking too much for their properties. To resolve this situation the plans were altered to include two houses with shop fronts, one flanking each end of the entrance from the Bull Ring. This made it possible for the plans to be implemented. The photo below shows one of those shops. Hadn't realised these were self-contained shop units and domestic accommodation. Viv.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    173.3 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:
No wonder they they decided to remove the fountain - it's spectacular, but enormous! This was certainly no ordinary market hall with this sort of adornment, it's rules and regulations and high quality produce on sale. Ironically, by moving the fountain to Highgate Park must have saved it from the disaster that later removed the roof in WW2. Viv.

View attachment 97845

Viv

When I read up about the fountain that was in the Market it said that it was planned to re-erect the fountain in Highgate Park when it was removed in 1880, but this was never done and the fountain was scrapped in 1923.

I recently came across this photo of the fountain in Highgate park after it had in fact been re-erected so it might have stood there from 1880 to 1923 it seems a long time for there to be doubts it was ever there at all. So it looks like the Council did Mr Hitler's job for him, only a lot earlier.

Attachments

• Highgate Highgate Park.JPG
    Highgate Highgate Park.JPG
    104 KB · Views: 62
Destroying the old market hall was THE biggest act of the Councils many acts of vandalism. The market hall WAS Birmingham. Eric

Eric,

I agree with you 101% - that was a sheer act of vandalism for which Birmingham City Council is well renowned. I could pass the same comment about Bournemouth Council - apart from the Town Hall (a former hotel), I don't think we have much left there either.

Maurice

Seems pretty conclusive then that it WAS once in Highgate Park Phil. Sad that it didn't settle anywhere. Maybe it was too expensive to maintain. Pity. Viv.

A photo taken on the steps of the Market Hall around 1890. A great backdrop for a photo. It's mostly of men but I think I can just make out a woman's hat near the back. I wonder if these men and boys were all Market workers? There could be some sort of hierarchy - at the lower end men and boys in caps, then men in bowlers and straw boaters etc. The chap at the front looks like he's in charge. And some of the boys look so young. But I suppose if they were working in the market, although it was very, very hard work, it must have been preferable to some other jobs for boys at the time. I can imagine real camaraderie would have developed between the men and boys too.

On the other hand, was this simply a photo of people who'd been to the Market? Viv.

image.jpeg

Traditionally butchers used to wear boaters, as I understand it, though the meat market was a bit far from the market hall.

This looks to be roughly around the same time, but I don't recognise any of the faces when comparing them to those on the steps in Viv's photo. By the way Viv another great photo of what I consider was the front of the market hall when it was first built.

Attachments

• City Bull Ring Birmingham Market Hall 4.JPG
    City Bull Ring Birmingham Market Hall 4.JPG
    143.4 KB · Views: 52
Thanks Phil and Mike. Could just be coincidence then that there are predominantly men posing on the market steps. And non are wearing aprons. Perhaps the photo was taken on a particular occasion. Another of those "we'll probably never know". Viv.

I've just come across this painting of the fountain called the Messenger & Sons that stood in the Market Hall and is mentioned a few posts back, it's one of the best images of this construction I have seen. It was painted by Walter Langley in 1880 and must have been shortly before it was removed to Highgate Park in that year.

Messenger & Sons.jpg

Possibly old age, but I seem to remember that indoor fountain somewhere in the 50's, was it in the veg market.?paul

My Dad used to take us every Saturday in the early 1950's. He always bought a dish of jellied eels and dishes of cockles for my Mom and me. We loved them covered in vinegar!

One branch of my family had a shop in Worcester Street at the beginning of the 1800's. By the 1840's they had moved to Pershore Street so I have always presumed they were part of the compulsory purchase. There isn't much info on Worcester Street and that's probably why it fascinates me. I sit and imaging my family doing their shopping in the old market hall in the 1830's and 40's.

lol pen you are so like me then..i very often time travel in my head..and then of course when we see old photos we travel even more:D when i have a min i will see if i can dig up any info on worcester st although i would think you have researched it well...

hi john..smashing photos thanks very much for sharing them with us all

lyn

Hi all. I have been looking through all your posts and find them all very interesting. I am in the process of completing a “This is your life” portfolio for my wife’s brother and I am desperate for some help. My brother in-law worked at Birmingham’s Market Hall late 50s early 60s (Meat and slaughter). I have gathered some information and photographs regarding the Market Hall, The Clock, Fountain, Bombing, Dover’s Arms, Brush Makers Arms public Houses etc. I am unable to find photographs of where he actually worked e.g. The Meat and Slaughter Market and Birmingham Tripe Company and the name of the public house next to the Tripe Co. I believe that the Meat Market entrance was on Bradford Street. The Slaughter houses No 1 – 21 backed onto Sherlock Street. I also believe that one of these companies were FMC Monks Piggery. Please help if you can, all information will be very much appreciated.

PhilC.

Shall look over this thread and separate out the Smithfield Market posts from the Market Hall ones. Think it's clearer if we separate them out. Viv.

This is how I remember the Hall, without a roof in the 1950s. A sad sight, although my memory of it was still as a very busy market. Viv.

image.jpeg

Thanks again Vivienne. Great info and pics.
Sorry Vivienne I do not know the answer to your last question but I am looking. If I have the correct information, Smithfield was/is a Wholesale market and Market Hall was retail. In 1897 the meat market and slaughter house was attached to Market Hall. Also, info regarding cafes that were in the area (Vic's cafe) and any overhead street maps would also help.
Thanks again.

PhilC.

couple of postcards here...the caption on the market before being bombed o tells us what the sender of the card wrote to the recipient..very interesting as it also mentions delayed bombs in perry barr....also posting the front cover of the book as it shows the frontage of the market..photos on next post

lyn

happy to help phil and yes i am from aston..born in our nans back to back in paddington st just off summer lane..there maybe some photos of thomas st on the forum

lyn

Thanks for that Lyn. I'm putting this project together regarding the Market Hall for my wife's brother. My wife has become very interested today and will be joining later in the week. I think her first contact on here will be Thomas street. PhilC.

Back