• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Lozells

hi jules ive found it....fine fare on the corner of wilton st and lozells road....i thought it was lennox st...oh well its close enough...

lyn

Hi Lyn. Thanks for that. Obviously I had got Fine Fare's position completely wrong in my mind. When I first saw that picture I thought that was the building where the House of Holland was located. Mind obviously playing tricks - still is was a long time ago!

Also did you see my previous post. You had referred to Sainsburys - I was wondering if perhaps the shop you were thinking of could have been the Co-Op?

Thanks for the picture.

lol jules...no i thought that fine fare was sainsburys and i also thought it was at the top of lennox st. so i got that wrong as well...so in fact sainsburys never did exist....think i need another holiday...

lyn...

Fine Fare was on the right hand side up past the Lozells Inn, next to a chemist and a butchers i think. It's still there, and is an Asian food place

Does anyone remember M&Js (menswear) shop ?. It was on the otherside of Lozells Rd to Woolworth.
Me and a mate were walking past one night and the owner of the shop had left outside a rail of trousers ! we knocked the door and he came out and took them in , never even said thank you .!

Does anyone remember M&Js (menswear) shop ?. It was on the otherside of Lozells Rd to Woolworth.
Me and a mate were walking past one night and the owner of the shop had left outside a rail of trousers ! we knocked the door and he came out and took them in , never even said thank you .!

I remember there being a Foster Bros. which was a men's clothes shop.

It was I am sure on the opposite side to Woolworths and on a corner. Not sure which corner.

Course I could be totally wrong! lol

your bang on Jules, Fosters was dead opposite Woolies, M&Js were further down ,
Max

It is still there , just around the corner from Villa st .Its been recently done up ,and i think Astoness has a recent photo .Max

wicked pic moss....i did have it but cant find it in me files...so thanks for posting it..will try and find the recent pic i have of it...

cheers
lyn

just found it moss...its got a bit of a write up on this one and anyhow your pic is much clearer..the sally army..nursery road..

lyn

Last edited:
taken a couple of months back undergoing restoration which is now complete..

Last edited:
I knew you would come up with "The goods" Lynn . I went past there last week ,and it looks real nice now . Max

Just had a good read of the text with photo sent in by Astoness .Didnt the REVs girls do well . I always knew there was something in the water from Hockley Brook LOL

yes they did do well max but ive only just remembered....i posted this pic and text last year under the salvation army thread and because it said the family lived at nursery terrace i wrongly assumed it was the nursery terrace that was opposite the sally army in nursery road....so the text mislead me..my fault for jumping the gun..lol....after much help and census look ups it was found that the family lived at the nursery terrace that was in erdington and at some point lived in the jewellery quarter....just thought i would clear that one up...mind you it does not detract from it being a cracking pic...

lyn

I once was told that Nursery Road , was formally called Nursery Terrace !! could this be right ? Max

you could be right there max...ive never gone into it and if this is the case this could be why the author of the book also assumed wrongly...

lyn

well i didnt know that...thanks mike for that map...its of great interest to me....

max you were right then....

lyn

On closer inspection of the map , between Brougham St and Villa St , on the opposite side of Nursery Terrace ,,,,,,,Was Hockley Brewery !!!!!!. So that's where my taste for booze originated , Don't know about you Lynn LOL .MAX

nar max..it was long gone when i moved there...lol....you just beat me to it..just noticed the brewery...wonder if we can find out any info about it...it looks to be situated very close to the factory that is still there in nursery road...just up from the crown pub corner....

lyn

looking at the map again max...it looks like hockley brewery was a bit up past the factory...

Have just come a cross a photo of the roller rink that was attached to the picture house ,both destroyed by bombs in the last war . Will post if it would be of interest , ( May have already been on here ) . Max

Back