• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Lozells

Hi ya Lyn , i think the picture house was between Gower St And Wheelers St. Max

ok max..could you post it please...i think it must be the lozells pic house then...i did have a pic of it but not sure i posted it....our mom was at lozells girls school with the daughter of the man who died when it was bombed...she recalled the head telling eveyone in asembly of the terrible news...

lyn

Lozells Picture House 54 Lozells Rd. Lozells.

Architects Hipkiss & stephens opened 1911rebuilt to the plans of Horace G. Bradley and re-opened 25th December 1922 with Saturday Night.
a 2 manual, six unit Wurlitzer Organ was installed 1927 and opened by Frank Newman.
It was the first cinema in Birmingham to show films on a Sunday starting on the 8th January 1933.
It wasdestroyed in an air riad in 1942 the Manager Lionel Jennings was killed while on fire watching duties.

Ray

Here are a couple of photos i thought may be of interest. Max

thanks max...i have saved both of them....now this is new to me....a rollar rink on the lozells road...??? well would you beleive it...

lyn

Yeah it surprised me too. I reacon it was on the site ,next door to Gower St School , if you recall there were a lot of fairly new buildings there , shops , and went up to the corner of Wheelers St . Max

max..what sort of year are we talking about ???? I just cant recall a building that size anywhere on or even near the lozells road...certtainly not in my time as i would have been there...

lyn

Not Building Lyn , BUILDINGS , there was a load of shops , the last one on the corner of Wheelers st was a bank , could still be , the shops are all still there , most closed down i think . Ahh I think i may have caused a bit of confusion , what i meant to say that the picture house and roller rink may have been on the site NOW occupied by said buildings .

yep...confusion reigned there max... Not to difficult for me....right im with it now....a kelly look up should do it...ive got some on disc so i will have a look tomorrow...unless of course someone beats me to it...

lyn

My interest is Lozells Congregational Church (was near top of Wheeler St, now another church) damaged due to the bomb that fell on picture house. I once thought it was the picture house on the corner of Berner St. However the ’Life of Church’ states it was the front of the building that got hit - " a yard cube of concrete from the Picture House was blown over the front of the church".

There was another picture house, with I believe rink attached - somewhere here or elsewhere there is a photo. My memory seems to think it was close to where the police station was.

Ray

hi forward...have you seen the pic of the church you are on about...here is a pic of lozells pic house...

lyn

yes the place i am talking about was opposite the Police station . When i was at Gower St school ,we had our work shops next to the Police station . We used to have woodwork ,metal work and pottery lessons there . I have a picture of St Pauls Church which was , is ,almost opposite Wheelers St .
Just an aside i was Baptised at St Pauls in 1951. Max

Hi Lyn, I have that one thanks. To me that is looking up Lozells Road towards Villa Cross, is it to you?

Hi Max "When i was at Gower St school ,we had our work shops next to the Police station . We used to have woodwork ,metal work and pottery lessons there " Yep, so did I, side of St Pauls, down slope and up outside metal stairs to class rooms. I still have the kinda round pot made in pottery class (How sad is that)

Ray

Hi ya Forward . I still got an ashtray i made engraved on the the back 1966, but i think i must have made that at Harry Lucas after i left Gower St .

My worst memory of being in the pottery glass at Gower St ,was when i got the stick on my backside , the "teacher" for want of a better word , managed to break the stick across my poor little thin bottom , i can still see the horror on the other kids faces , happy days !!! well most were . Max

Lyn, I would agree if it is St Pauls? My doubt is the road slopes up rather than slightly down towards six ways, which could be the way the picture was taken, . If it's St Pauls then the picture house would have been on the same side of the road and not as I thought on the corner of Berner St. When I'm back in B'ham I will check out exactly where that picture house was and if there were any close by.

Max, 'teachers' well yes, my last year teacher, classroom adjoining small school library, was mainly missing. My caning was given on the hand, why when I was such a 'good boy' I've no idea.
Will check out my pot as I know my name is on the bottom, could be date and class as well.

Ray

Hope this Photo is of interest . Have a close look at the bloke on the corner , he seems to be wearing a tin hat, and has binoculars around his neck !!!! Lozells was always a Monkey run , but we didnt need tin hats LOL Max

max..thats a great pic..ive not seen one of the shops next to st pauls before..only think is when i click on your pic it does that pixilating thingy lol so ive saved it and posted it to see if it does the same thing..hope you dont mind....

ray...looking at the church in my lozells pic house pic and looking at st pauls church i think you may well be right...st pauls does not look to have a pointed spire...wasnt there a st peters church further up the lozells road??? in which case you are right about the pic house being on the left looking towards villa cross...

max...well that was no good..i will resize it and try again..

lyn

If I remember correctly, the Lozells Picture House was at the corner of Wilton Street and Lozells Road. On the night it was bombed I was at my Gran's house at 215 Berners Street, one of the fire watchers who was killed was the tobacconist from around the corner in Lozells Road, I'm not certai, but I think his name was Cauldfield, or something like that, rumour had it that his body was never found.

Barrie, looked on map and yes I should have typed Wilton St - thanks.

Where it says BM 415 .29 on the map is I believe where the Lozells Picture house was.

lyn, I can't place a church further up the Lozells Rd, but there was a church off one of the side roads, would that spire show?

Max, good picture, my parents got wed there in 1941. I'm still seeking a picture of Lozells Congregational circa 1920 - 1940 if you come across one.

Ray

hi ray..yes possibly the other church would be visible...was the pic of lozells congregational church that was posted of any use to you...would have been taken around the 60s i think...

lyn

lyn, "pic of lozells congregational church " looked through this thread and can't see one?

Ray

Hi lyn, see it now in the other thread, thanks. That was the church lecture building which was attached to the church, they used that when the church was damaged. Thus I'm looking for a pic pre-war.

Ray

Hope you enjoy these photos, they bring back too many happy memories of childhood, the photos of Gowers shop is a special for me as i worked there as a paper boy in 1962, the shop by then was half the size ( keeping open the part where the man is outside) the family who ran it Mr Gower, at the moment i cant remember his fist name, and his sister Gwen, they were Quakers and worked me hard, refused to let me have a bank holiday off to participate in a special scouts camp at Yorks Wood (3 days) so every morning and evening i had to cycle there and back !!! I wish i could do it now !!!!!!! Max

Last edited by a moderator:
Back