• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Lozells

Abbots,that rang a bell,was it a furniture shop?,I recall going up there every Saturday to pay a shilling or so,for a piece of furniture we had on the knock c1948.

I think Lloyd said his dad owned a shop that way many years ago wonder if that was the one. Pete remembers it. Jean.

Hi Mike.

I've never heard the band mentioned.

Have you been in touch with Old Witton Depot, there used to be a guy called Mac was very good friend to uncle he may be able throw so light on the subject.

I've got loads of books i'll see if I can turn anything up for and let you have it.

Thanks for the picture.

Ray

Ray, without wanting to go off thread, we are trying to gain some info on the old Tramways Department Band over in the Trams threads. Did your relatives ever mention the band or were they ever connected with it?

Meanwhile back on the No.5 tram, and this one is passing Abbotts of Lozells on the corner of Wilton Street.

Mike

Sorry about quality, they are getting old like me

Ray

Ray, the photos you have posted of Lozells, Aston etc are absolutely brilliant - they have brought back so many memories for me - I'm sure that like me, everyone is extremely grateful that you have taken the time to find them out and upload them THANKYOU so much !!

Have you been in touch with Old Witton Depot, there used to be a guy called Mac was very good friend to uncle he may be able throw so light on the subject.

I've got loads of books i'll see if I can turn anything up for and let you have it.

Thanks for the picture.

Ray
Sadly Mac Cooper at Witton museum died a few years back.

As Jean said, my dad used to own a furniture shop in Lozells Road but it was no.227, by the cinema at the junction with Heathfield Road, and was closed by Adolf in the 1940s. Here's a couple of pics of it, with his first wife Ethel and his Vauxhall car outside.

Third photo top right. Pete said it is the Albert Hall. He was born just a few houses down at no 51 just off the photo. Any chance of making his day Ray. You wouldn't have another in your collection showing Albert road would you?. Thanks. Jean. ps Sorry Lloyd lovely photo's and shame about Mac Cooper. Jean.

Hi Jean: I recognized the Albert Hall in Ray's photo as well. My Mother used to go dancing there regularly in the late l920's. I used to pass by it on the bus hundred's of times over the years. I think it's still there not sure though.

thanks tom..thats it the lozells inn...i need to go back on some of rays posts..ive missed some pics.....

Lyn

Ray, I echo the thanks of other members for the wonderful evocative photos of Aston and Lozells of our childhood. Without you and others who have been kind enough to share them on the wonder of the internet they would be lost to a wider audience.

May I just correct the caption "Frederick Road Library" it is actually Albert Road on the corner of Witton Road, about 100 yards from Six Ways. Albert Road Library was actually the Aston Council House before Aston was absorbed into Birmingham. It was a magnificent building, marble floors, I think the woodwork was mahogany, lots of brasswork and a wonderful sweeping staircase to the Reading Room on the first floor, even as a youngster I appreciated this building.

We used to peep into the Reading Room where there was always a lot of old men reading the newspapers, then we used to slide down the bannisters, hoping we wouldn't be caught.

Memories ?

I have I saw Jane out Mirror newspaper there that's going back a bit.

Well I say I saw her she was behind a screen all the act so I only really see her shadow but for them days it was great.

Ray

wonderful ray....love the furness lane ones...mom and dad did a lot of their courting down there...lol....

lyn

Ray, I loved the photo of Potters Hill, my family lived there and I don't remember seeing a photo of it before. Thank you.

Judy

thanks ray.....i remember last year a member was looking for berners st....cant recall who but i rarely foget a pic request..hope they see this thread...

lyn

Ray, the middle shot of Berners Street (#48) was taken from inside Burberry Park. Great photographs, please keep them coming Ray.....

My parents were living at 67 Berners St until dad went to war. My mother could not afford to keep the house and went to live with her parents.

Hi Folks.
I hope I am not repeating myself my system has fell apart at the moment.
Ray
Hello again Ray,
The 4th pic in your post, Avenue Road, Aston, is the only pic I have seen on the Forum of St. Mary's C of E school. It never really had a frontage as such, sandwiched as it was by the church and houses. On its other side, in Whitehouse Street, it was a similar story. I remember a David Robinson living very close to the school in Avenue Road. He could literally fall out of bed into class!
Like everyone else has stated, these are an absolutely brilliant set of photos of Aston and Lozells that you have been posting and we can all be thankful that you were on the Forum at this time to share them with us. They have evoked memories long forgotten and I am very grateful for that.

great pics of furnace lane ray .we lived at number 9 furnace lane in
the 1960s on one of your pics you amost got our old house in shot that
would have been A1 .THANKS FOR PUTTING THEM ON.

Mary Ray was only a few doors off Pete's family home in Witton road. We did drive down there a few weeks ago and it is still standing with loads of waste land opposite [covered in rubbish] such a shame. Jean.

The first picture on Post 43, is the old Lozells Road Police Station, which was right by St.Paul's Church, shown on one of the earlier pics.

thanks for the sylivia..i was pondering about that one...thought it was the police station...but i couldnt recall it....

lyn....

Back