• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Lozells Road, Shops, Pubs, Businesses etc

Interesting to see the row of houses at the start of Villa Road that where there before they must have been demolished and the bank was built - I think it was a Lloyd's?
hi sparks the houses were not demolished they are still there and the bank as seen in the aerial view...todays st view..just to add that villa road started and barker street and ran up to soho road..i had a friend who lived in one of those house back in the early 70s

Thanks @Astoness, I should have realised but i haven't been that way for a few years, just forgotten what the view was like! :rolleyes:
i wished i could remember which house my friend lived in :rolleyes: ...pretty certain the front door was on the right as you walked up the path and looking at how far i think it was from the old bank i am taking a guess it could have been no 51 with the white door...what i find sad is the loss of so many old houses in hall road..i was just taking a google walk down it and noticed that if we turn down hall road first on the left is called tollgate drive..nice touch just a shame we have lost so many old buildings..this is why i think these wonderful aerial shots are so important as they show us just what we have lost over the years

lyn

Last edited:
great shot john...would it be possible to take a shot showing numbers 254 to 258 lozells road which used to be bendalls other shop...thank you

lyn
Unfortunately Lyn the only photo with those shops on (front view) are really poor quality with no detail whatsoever.
The image with Bendall's corner was from a set showing the Denison factory (and thereabouts), they were brilliant quality.

Unfortunately Lyn the only photo with those shops on (front view) are really poor quality with no detail whatsoever.
The image with Bendall's corner was from a set showing the Denison factory (and thereabouts), they were brilliant quality.
ok john thanks for looking...

lyn

Here are some photos of the Lozells Road area which Keith Berry took in 1979.
View attachment 147576
View attachment 147585
They are from pdf4 in link below

These two photos bring back a lot of memories. Mom would trek up to Lozells to do the shopping. Sometimes, we would tag along. Whenever we got there, we would make a beeline for the petshop and toyshop and press our noses against the windows. We used to bring our kittens to that petshop once they were weaned. They must have had 20 or so from us over the years. Mom would pop in next door to Eugene's, who she knew very well. They would spend hours yacking while Eugene's wife would roll her eyes in despair whenever mom showed up knowing she would get no work out of him for the next hour. She did have to warn him to keep his boxes of veg off the floor around the front of the shop because the local wildlife was inclined to cock their legs and season them, when Eugene's back was turned.

Apart from that, mom was very friendly with another shop owner of a women's clothes shop further up the road called Alicia Mansell. Don't know if anyone remembers that shop. I have memories of being bored rigid waiting for mom to finish her exciting conversation, with nothing in that shop to entertain me.

if anyone has photos of these shops before demo would love to see them please...they were opposite the royal oak pub...main interest is the chippy and wardrobe dealer which basically was a second hand shop...many thanks...

lyn

thumbnail - 2024-06-16T111351.906.jpeg

Last edited:
Back