• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Lozells Road, Shops, Pubs, Businesses etc

This is the write up on the photo you posted Lyn in post #294

Located in the north Birmingham district of Lozells. The Aston Picture Palace was opened in 1911. It was designed by architectural firm Hipkiss & Stephens.
Later re-named Lozells Picture House, it was closed and demolished in 1922 when the much larger Lozells Picture Theatre (which has its own page on Cinema Treasures) was built on the site.

According to the write up on the Picture Theatre it was that which was destroyed and the manager killed.

Think I might have it. 1915 Kelly's lists the Aston Picture Palace next to the co-op. It is on the opposite side of the road from the two cinemas I found earlier. I think that is the one in the photo you have posted in post # 300. For some reason the Aston Picture House is not named on the map.
1635703678792.png

Think I might have it. 1915 Kelly's lists the Aston Picture House next to the co-op. It is on the opposite side of the road from the two cinemas I found earlier. I think that is the one in the photo you have posted in post # 300. For some reason the Aston Picture House is not named on the map.
View attachment 163147
thats it jan sorted...thanks

lyn

The 1921 Kelly's no longer lists Aston Picture House next to the co-op but does have Lozells Picture House on the other side of the road.
1635704129492.png

This image might well have been on here before, but it’s worth comparing it with the modern view. Surprisingly the white building on the left is still there, now painted a peach colour. The road to the right is Berners Street. Viv.

6329D6FF-4132-45BE-82BB-FFC851F3957D.jpeg127F32FC-1E67-427E-99D9-A495C5C8612B.jpeg

Last edited:
In the 1960's there was a record shop near to the junction with Wheelers Street. I think it was called Rondevouz?

Keith
Was that the small one on the right side of the road as you were walking away from Six Ways? Possibly opposite Wheelers St? A small family owned shop? I don't know the name of it, but I do remember it.

In the 1960's there was a record shop near to the junction with Wheelers Street. I think it was called Rondevouz?

Keith
It could be these premises, in Kelly's 1967/68 it is listed as Clark & Piercy (gramophone record dealers), I don't have other Kelly's from the 60s so unable to check if it was renamed.

Attachments

• 50-lozells-rd.jpg
    50-lozells-rd.jpg
    666.2 KB · Views: 12
I was with a group of lads in the early fifties who got nicked for stealing some toy soldiers from Woolworths. Caught by the shopwalker, held for police in a back room, then let off with a warning after false names and addresses were given. Couldn't wait to lose them and dodge back home to Handsworth Wood via the back roads.

1969/70-ish: Does anyone know the name of a shoe shop on Lozells Road (on the right hand side of the road if you were headed towards Six Ways) in the general area of Lozells Street? It was a 2 window, 1 door type of shop selling very cheap shoes. I know there was a JW Wassell shop around, but I don't think that's the one. As I said, it would be the late 60s/early 70s. Anybody?

1969/70-ish: Does anyone know the name of a shoe shop on Lozells Road (on the right hand side of the road if you were headed towards Six Ways) in the general area of Lozells Street? It was a 2 window, 1 door type of shop selling very cheap shoes. I know there was a JW Wassell shop around, but I don't think that's the one. As I said, it would be the late 60s/early 70s. Anybody?
hi steve i remember wassells but i think that was on the left looking towards 6 ways cant recall the one you remember...maybe others will

lyn

In 1967/68 Kelly's there was a Marlone Shoes near Lozells st.

Marlone shoes.gif

hi steve i remember wassells but i think that was on the left looking towards 6 ways cant recall the one you remember...maybe others will

lyn
Thanks Lyn. Yes, I believe Wassells was on the other side of the street. The odd number side. Thanks for the response though.
Steve

In 1967/68 Kelly's there was a Marlone Shoes near Lozells st.

View attachment 172768
Thank you, Rob T. Yes, I'm almost positive that was it. The only thing is, looking at that address on Google Maps (now Mazammal Halal Meat Centre), the current storefront looks a bit smaller than I recall the shoe shop. Maybe the shop sizes have been reconfigured in the many years since then? The shoe shop had a central entrance, with the door set back from the pavement about 4 feet, with windows either side (not large, maybe 4 feet each). Many shoe shops of the era were configured similarly, in order to showcase shoes on the left and right (mens/ladies) as you walked in towards the door.

Your response is very much appreciated, Rob. I now live in the US, but I worked there as a young lad and couldn't remember the name for the life of me. Been driving me crazy! Cheers.

Thanks Lyn. Yes, I believe Wassells was on the other side of the street. The odd number side. Thanks for the response though.
Steve
steve although this is a long thread and if you have not already done so could i suggest you start reading the thread from post 1 as there may well be a photo of your shoe shop

lyn

Thank you, Rob T. Yes, I'm almost positive that was it. The only thing is, looking at that address on Google Maps (now Mazammal Halal Meat Centre), the current storefront looks a bit smaller than I recall the shoe shop. Maybe the shop sizes have been reconfigured in the many years since then? The shoe shop had a central entrance, with the door set back from the pavement about 4 feet, with windows either side (not large, maybe 4 feet each). Many shoe shops of the era were configured similarly, in order to showcase shoes on the left and right (mens/ladies) as you walked in towards the door.

Your response is very much appreciated, Rob. I now live in the US, but I worked there as a young lad and couldn't remember the name for the life of me. Been driving me crazy! Cheers.
I think the shop arrowed is the shoe shop you are looking for, I do not have any Kelly's later than 67/68, I think the left-hand image was probably early 70s. Interesting to see that Azim's restaurant was there at that time too.

Attachments

• 104-lozells-rd.jpg
    104-lozells-rd.jpg
    512.5 KB · Views: 75
I think the shop arrowed is the shoe shop you are looking for, I do not have any Kelly's later than 67/68, I think the left-hand image was probably early 70s. Interesting to see that Azim's restaurant was there at that time too.
Brummy-lad, that has to be it! It even has the recessed central doorway I'd mentioned. They must've changed that over time, just as Azim's looks like it took over the 2 storefronts on the other side. I can't believe you found a pic of it.
Thank you Brummy-Lad, Rob T. and Astoness for all your detective work. Impressive!
Cheers,
Steve

Back