• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Lozells Road, Shops, Pubs, Businesses etc

Do you recall at 267 Burbury street a business called Alex Wilson & co. Statoinary & general Wholesalers? Would have been there from about 1965-1985. It was caught up in the 1985 riots, and never recovered. It was run by Brenda Hartland ( my Aunt), I recall her telling me how she walked down Burbury st the day after and collasping with shock at what she saw, and how a policeman got her a chair & hot sweet tea.
Hi the pemberton family lived next door at 265 from the 30s and moved in 81 my gran bought up 8 children on her own after her husband died in the late 40s she also bought me up at that address till I was 11 years old fantastic memories

The same view as in post #306, but with a group of (school)boys hanging around in the road. Dated around 1920s. If they are schoolboys, I wonder which school. They look well turned out and it isn't a Sunday as the shops are in full swing (so not dressed up for church). So they probably attend a fee paying school. Viv.

Screenshot_20230528_091358_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20230528_134939_Maps.jpg

Last edited:
As a child I can remember Lozells Road very well. This was in the 1970's/80's. A very different place to now. We had a Woolworths (where I bought my very first record), Fine Fare, Boots The Chemist, A Wool Shop (cannot remember the name), a Pet Shop. At the far end there was The House of Holland. There was Wilkinsons at the other end of Lozells Road, probably Villa Road. As for pubs there was the Lozells Inn and was it the Bell Inn and of course The Royal Oak.

Has anyone got a photographs of Lozells Road around this time. I have seen more upto date ones of Lozells Road as it is now and it has considereably changed from when I was a girl.

There was also a petrol station and a newsagents inbetween Carpenters Road and Burbury Street.

Further along towards Villa Road was also Price and Olivers and a shop that used to sell pens. This may have been Price & Olivers or something else. There was also a pet shop I think at the corner of Berner's Street.

If anyone could fill in the gaps as I know there were lots more.
Hello Jules65. I used to work at FineFare in the late 70's/early 80's. I did have a photo of Finefare from that time, but have lost it. Got a couple of others of Lozells Road from that time, which I found on here.

Hello Jules65. I used to work at FineFare in the late 70's/early 80's. I did have a photo of Finefare from that time, but have lost it. Got a couple of others of Lozells Road from that time, which I found on here.

Attachments

• finefare.jpg
    finefare.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 36
  • lozells road 3.jpeg
    lozells road 3.jpeg
    22.6 KB · Views: 33
  • lozells road 2.jpeg
    lozells road 2.jpeg
    34.3 KB · Views: 33
Lyn

The name of the Manager that was killed in the raid that destroyed the cinema in 1942 was Lionel Jennings, he was on fire watch duty at the time.

Phil
Lyn

The name of the Manager that was killed in the raid that destroyed the cinema in 1942 was Lionel Jennings, he was on fire watch duty at the time.

Phil
this photo is not the picture house that was bombed in WW2, this photo is of the picture house next door to the co-op gocery store, close to Six Ways. The Lozells Picture house that was bombed was on the corner of Wilton Street and Lozells Road. It was a bomb site all through my childhood and was not redeveloped until the early 1960s.

Phil
Th

I was a Handsworth lad and so have no intimate knowledge of Lozells, but my Dads sister (Olive) married one son (David) of the Willetts family, who ran the fruit, veg & poultry shop on the corner of Villa Road/Hunters Road.

A man by the name of Oliver Clare used to come into that shop. I believe he had a drink problem & never any money. They used to let him have some basic goods for free & in return he’d give them ‘still life’ oil paintings that he produced, (often of flowers & fruit from the shop, painted on wood from fruit boxes). They were good. His paintings ultimately became very collectible with quite a value.

David Willetts was subsequently given his own fruit, veg & poultry shop, located on Lozells Road, about opposite, I think, Lozells Street.

Happy days!

This double shop at 254 - 258 Lozells Road still shows signs of a previous business with the letter 'B' on the four green-tiled pillars alongside each window. The window frames still have older metal frames. In 2014 there were still two mosaic numbers on the threshold of both entrances. Since that time, they've either been covered over or removed.
Screenshot_20240302_174412_Maps.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240302_174308_Maps.jpg
    Screenshot_20240302_174308_Maps.jpg
    209.6 KB · Views: 9
  • Screenshot_20240302_174346_Maps.jpg
    Screenshot_20240302_174346_Maps.jpg
    257.2 KB · Views: 7
  • Screenshot_20240303_122618_Maps.jpg
    Screenshot_20240303_122618_Maps.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 6
  • Screenshot_20240303_122632_Maps.jpg
    Screenshot_20240303_122632_Maps.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 10
all 4 green mosaics were still there june 23 viv...i took some photos of them a few years ago and did some research but i cant recall now what i found out but i think price and oliver was there for years...will take another look this week when i am down that way

all 4 green mosaics were still there june 23 viv...i took some photos of them a few years ago and did some research but i cant recall now what i found out but i think price and oliver was there for years...will take another look this week when i am down that way

Those ceramic tiles, very popular in the early 20th. century, should be easy to name the owner. The letter 'B' is prominent.
These kind of tiles were favourites with the early tube lines and of course many pubs featured them.

Last edited:
This double shop at 254 - 258 Lozells Road still shows signs of a previous business with the letter 'B' on the four green-tiled pillars alongside each window. The window frames still have older metal frames. In 2014 there were still two mosaic numbers on the threshold of both entrances. Since that time, they've either been covered over or removed.
View attachment 189628
if we look just a tad to right of this photo here is an old photo....also below is todays street view...as we see the drain pipe between its 2 top windows although new has not moved

index.php - 2024-03-03T140026.262.jpg

ahh yes i am sure thats it john...when i took a closer look a few years back i thought i could make out a sheaf of corn on the green tiles so that would fit perfect with it being a bakers at the back that sold at the front ..cheers as said i will take a closer look this week

lyn

Last edited:
Yes Lyn, they're on the wooden caps above the tiled columns. All four columns are still in pretty good condition. I expect there's an original shop sign somewhere beneath the newer ones too. I'm hoping that they just covered the shop numbers on the shop thresholds too.
Screenshot_20240303_144110_Maps.jpg

Yes Lyn, they're on the wooden caps above the tiled columns. All four columns are still in pretty good condition. I expect there's an original shop sign somewhere beneath th
e newer ones too. I'm hoping that they just covered the shop numbers on the shop thresholds too.
View attachment 189636
thanks viv thats them.. i will have a look for those numbers this week..would love to see the original shop sign..maybe one day

lyn

I wondered if the item beneath the 'B' on the columns represents a shovel, like the ones that were used to shovel loaves in and out of an oven.

Screenshot_20240303_143636_Maps.jpg

This is a 19th Century one, they're called 'paddles'

Screenshot_20240303_184955_Google.jpg

viv according to keith berry and i have heard this before years ago this black and white building on the corner of hamstead road and villa road was called bendalls corner...he said his mom always called it that because of the 2 bendall sisters who ran a bakers/confectioners there..i wonder if someone could confirm this please

viv according to keith berry and i have heard this before years ago this black and white building on the corner of hamstead road and villa road was called bendalls corner...he said his mom always called it that because of the 2 bendall sisters who ran a bakers/confectioners there..i wonder if someone could confirm this please

Lyn, I have heard the same thing many many years ago but cannot confirm the authenticity.

Attachments

• hamstead-rd-110.jpg
    hamstead-rd-110.jpg
    830.3 KB · Views: 12
Back