• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

London-Prentice St and Rope Walk

Hi

Just written to Carl a bit quick I know
Hi Carl

on the Birmingham History Forum a number of writers have written about
there Ancestors from this St. My Grannie Annie(Moran) came from here.
Talking of forming a club.
latest input

Wow! This is really fascinating! Amazing how many of us have ancestors who lived in London Prentice Street (Hello Mike!). Lynne, it is quite a coincidence, but my 2 x gt.grandfather is listed as a Trunk Maker on the 1841 census. His age was given as 15? and he was lodging with other Trunk Makers in John Street. I must have a look at this again later today when I get more time. He was then an Ash Pan Maker and Hawker. Michael Martin died young in 1858 and his wife Jane was by 1861 living in No.2 House x 12 Court in LP Street - even closer to your ancestors, so there is no doubt that they would have known each other, and like Lyn said, the children would have played together. The family had moved by 1963 and Jane had remarried - but that's another story! Jane, I know, came from Roscommon. She was 14 when she married Michael at St Martins. I have no idea where Michael came from but funnily enough the surname of Gilmartin/Kilmartin is mostly found in Sligo!

Currently working on The history of the Water Orton long way to go
We are really struggling on the Aston Transport Museum
there are some hard workers out there who are passionate about
saving it'
I know you are on the case of the Birmingham Markets
there only so much you can do in 24hours

Clearly a mass of info out there on the History of our Irish Ancestors.

Thought Id let you know

Hope you and your Family are well

Mike Jenks

crikey mike thats quicker than i can write:D im sure carl will get back to you on this...can you please keep us updated and it would be great to hear from any other members who had ancestors living in london prentice street..

lyn

dek the pic came from a carl chinn book..BIRMINGHAM IRISH MAKING OUR MARK..there was a great irish presence in this area at the time...

lyn

Found the song with the reference to London Prentice Street. It's called " Dublin Jack of all Trades". It's a traditional song. The link below calls it the Birmingham version, so maybe there was an Irish version too. Here's verse 7 with the reference

In Temple Street I sold shaloon
In Queen Street a cork cutter
In Colmore Street I kept a shop
Sold bacon cheese and butter
In John Street I sold faggots hot
Of which I often boasted
And then in London Prentice Street
Sold mutton ready roasted

Here's the full lyrics if interested. https://martindardis.com/dublin_jack_of_all_trades_lyrics_chords.html

Viv.

hi viv and thanks for that song...im sure i have read that the street was named after a london apprentice who came to live in brum...

lyn:)

Lyn
the version about the apprentice is in "The streets of Brum" by Carl chinn, but he doesn't give any detail

thanks mike..i may have that book somewhere amongst the many others i have...will have a look..

lyn

Well Judy this is amazing, my Austins were still at Court 12 house 1 on the 1861 census so surely that must have been next door. On the 1871 they had moved to 47 L.P.S., not sure if that was a move up or down. I've also got one in Court 3 in 1851,another at 22 in 1861 and yet another in Court 6 in 1871. After that they had all moved or died.
Lynne.

Mike

What a great idea it would be for all of us on the Forum with ancestors from LP St to get together and pool our knowledge. Also think your letter to Carl was first class. Let us know what his reply is.

Judy

Lynne - These coincidences between our families keep growing!!! I've been babysitting all day and not had a chance to look at any family history, but will get back to you if I find out anymore. I think the Trunk Making might be something in common. Your ancestors lived in the road longer than mine, but I know that mine were there for at least 15 or more years.

Judy

Judy, the first ones of mine that I found in L.P. St. were the Pughs on the 1841 Census, these dont appear to have numbers though. The last ones that I can find were the Gallaghers in 1871. My Gt grandmother was a Steel pen maker on the 61 when she was 15.
Lynne.

My great grandfather John Wallace was a Gun Maker aged 37 on the 1881 census when living at 42 London Prentice Street wife Jane nee Horah and seven children aged from 12 years to 3 months. The eldest son also John aged 12 is listed as a Gun Barrel Filer.

hi judy...hard to know where to start lol so im just taking my time and writing down all the threads i have reposted on...:friendly_wink:

lyn

Lyn, the number of pictures lost is unbelievable. I don't suppose we will ever recover them all, but every one posted helps.

Judy

oh judy i agree....they will never all be recovered...but as you say every one that is reposted is a step forward...

lyn

The following should help you locate where you had previously added pictures:
  1. Click Forum Actions (fifth option along when using the Forum tab)
  2. In the left hand panel, scroll down to My settings / Miscellaneous
  3. Click on Attachments. All the attachments you have made are shown.
  4. When you are ready to delete an attachment, click the relevant box on the right-hand side and click "Delete selected"

Thanks Lyn and all for the effort you are making to repost some of the lost pics, its great to see them again.
Lynne.

my pleasure lynne...its great to see a few of us trying to get some back on...will try to do a few each day and they will soon mount up...

Went to Town Hall last night for a concert by Ralph McTell. He sang a song London Apprentice, I can't at the moment find the lyrics but it started

I am a London Apprentice
I'll never learn a trade.

Last edited:
reposting this pic plus a new one showing the demolision of the street...

London20Prentice20St.jpg

quite a few years between reply but here goes. my Great grandmother Susannah ( susan ) Jackson nee Rawlins/Rawlings was born at number 20 London Prentice Street, either 18 March or December 1847 and her parents, my great great grandparents Edward and Catherine ( nee Nock ) lived there according to their marriage certificate on their wedding day 18th January 1847. my great great granddad has been a labourer and a gun stocker/finisher during the 1840-60s. anyone got any links ..... I see the Cadman family have been mentioned too ... my mums closest friend was a Madge ( probably Margaret ) Cadman during the 1910 - 1960s period. please get in touch if so.

We've had cause to look at London Prentice Street just lately and I was really pleased to find these photos and this thread brought to the top. The family that we've been looking at lived there in the 1700's. possibly not long after the houses were built. Looking at the pictures these properties must have been homes for middle class families when they were built. I'm sure they would have needed the usual army of servants to look after them. I often wonder what the original owners would have thought if they could see them as 'houses of multiple occupancy' as they call them today.

We've had cause to look at London Prentice Street just lately and I was really pleased to find these photos and this thread brought to the top. The family that we've been looking at lived there in the 1700's. possibly not long after the houses were built. Looking at the pictures these properties must have been homes for middle class families when they were built. I'm sure they would have needed the usual army of servants to look after them. I often wonder what the original owners would have thought if they could see them as 'houses of multiple occupancy' as they call them today.
Hi, I'm searching for a book on London Prentice Street. I have uncovered its history in respect of my family living there. My great grandmother Susan( nah ) Jackson nee Rawlings was born there in 1847. Not the best of starts in life but rose above that start to develop her clothes dealership and give birth to several children, one being my grandad who was attacked/mugged in Allesley Street in July 1966 and died 2 weeks later. I understand that my great aunt Hephzibah Williams nee Jackson had a challenging marriage and her husbands antics led to DH Lawrences first writings ... 'Sons and Lovers' and ' Lady Chatterley's Lover' and more... Theres always a backstory to property and people. Jacobean51

on a separate note I notice you are interested in the family surname of Hiley. my very best friend since 1953 ish is Christopher Hiley. His mother and my mother best friends and worked together at Feasterstone Nursery Erdington which was attached to the grounds of the Orphans Cottage Homes which had been the Aston Union Workhouse in earlier times. Jacobean51
r

Last edited:
You might find the attached cutting from the Birmingham gazette. 5.11.1863 of interest. I do not think you will find a book about the street
london prentice st. Birm Gazette.5.11.1863.jpg

on a separate note I notice you are interested in the family surname of Hiley. my very best friend since 1953 ish is Christopher Hiley. His mother and my mother best friends and worked together at Feasterstone Nursery Erdington which was attached to the grounds of the Orphans Cottage Homes which had been the Aston Union Workhouse in earlier times. Jacobean51

Jacobean51 - My Hiley's came from Cromwell Street in Duddeston. George Hiley was my great grandfather. I haven't looked at that side of the family for many years but I have traced them back to John Hiley at the forge in Minworth via Joseph and Emma (Cornforth) in Dartmouth Street. My research into the Hiley's was back before everything was recorded on line so I will have to dig out the box and look through it.

Back