• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

London-Prentice St and Rope Walk

london prentice st 1880s...numbers 3 to 6..i will also post this one under the streets thread

lyn

hi viv i think there is a bit more info under the maps thread...london prentice st and rope walk

lyn

:grinsmile:: God I've got a serious phobia of maps and mapping Lyn! I' m outa here. (Hadn't noticed the thread title). But before I hoof it, have a gut feeling that this is an interesting street name with probably a bit of interesting history if anyone has any ideas. :biggrin:Viv

:D viv you and me both...hopefully we may get a bit more info on this street...

lyn:)

I wonder If this has an Irish background and nothing to do with London I seem to recall an Irish song with the words "london Prentice" in it.Dek

I wonder If this has an Irish background and nothing to do with London I seem to recall an Irish song with the words "london Prentice" in it.Dek

dek the pic came from a carl chinn book..BIRMINGHAM IRISH MAKING OUR MARK..there was a great irish presence in this area at the time...

lyn

Hi

Most references to this name confirm it is an Abbreviation of Apprentice
It is uncertain whether the London Apprentice owes its name to the apprentice lads of the various livery companies of London who would row out to Isleworth in gaily decked barges during their free time, or to the famous ballad ‘The honour of an Apprentice of London '.

It seems like a lot we do historic references are lost in time

Mike Jenks

Thanks for posting the photo Lyn. This is the first one I have ever seen of London Prentice Street. I believe it was a very tough area to live in but like Lynne commented, it doesn't look as bad as I thought it would!

hi judy i was hoping you would spot it...not easy to find pics of this street...

lyn:)

Lyn - My gt.grandfather was born at 38 London Prentice Street in 1847, which seems to have been a lodging house. The family later moved to No.12 Court, so this photo is the other end of the street to where they lived. I wonder if there are any other photos in existence?

Judy

judy i have been told that there maybe another one but tracking it down may prove difficult...if i do come accross anymore will post them straight away for you..

lyn

That would be great Lyn. I will keep my fingers crossed. I know that if anyone can find them, you can :)

will do my best judy but ive just been told the other pic could be on the forum but what thread its on is anyones guess..this could be a very long search..:cry::D

Judy, on the 1851 census I've got two lots of my rellies in Court 12, one in house 1 and the other in house 5. Was this when your rellies were there.
Lynne.

Hello Lynne - Yes my family were in House No 8 x Court 12 in the 1851 Census. What were the names of your family living in this Court, as they must have known each other? Were they Hunter, also an Ash Pan Maker like my 2 x gt.grandfather, and Austin? See that you also have Irish ancestors! My 2 x gt grandfather Michael Martin (was Gilmartin/Kilmartin) was there with his wife Jane, and children James (my gt.grandfather) and Mary Ann, plus a lodger Bridget Lyons. The name Michael Martin was mistranscribed as Mahel Martin.

Judy

Hello Judy, mine were Austins at No.1, still there on the 61 as well and Pughs at No.5. On my dads side I'm more Irish than anything else, my 2 x gt grandfather Edwin Austin came from Kent but but all the Pughs were Irish. My gt. grandmother Mary Ann Austin married Michael Gallagher, he was from Sligo,but thats all I know about him before he came to England. What a small world.
Lynne.

lynne and judy how fascinating that 160 years on the rellies of 3 familys living in the same court in this street should meet on this forum...:) as our nan would say..i will go to the foot of our stairs:Dbrilliant stuff

lyn

Last edited:
could be lynne and judys rellies children and your rellies children must have played together...as you say its a small world..

lyn

hi

With all of the Numbers mine is no 19 we were neighbours

Household Members: 1881 Census Market 19 London Prentice Street
Name Age
Annie Mc Cann 18 Umberella Maker
James Mc Cann 50 Brush Maker Ireland

Mike Jenks

Wow! This is really fascinating! Amazing how many of us have ancestors who lived in London Prentice Street (Hello Mike!). Lynne, it is quite a coincidence, but my 2 x gt.grandfather is listed as a Trunk Maker on the 1841 census. His age was given as 15? and he was lodging with other Trunk Makers in John Street. I must have a look at this again later today when I get more time. He was then an Ash Pan Maker and Hawker. Michael Martin died young in 1858 and his wife Jane was by 1861 living in No.2 House x 12 Court in LP Street - even closer to your ancestors, so there is no doubt that they would have known each other, and like Lyn said, the children would have played together. The family had moved out of the street by 1963 and Jane had remarried - but that's another story! Jane, I know, came from Roscommon. She was 14 when she married Michael at St Martins. I have no idea where Michael came from but funnily enough the surname of Gilmartin/Kilmartin is mostly found in Sligo!

Last edited:
Hi

That would be a good idea amazing our ancestors
re-form and link us together 150 years on.
ill write to Carl on the subject.

mike Jenks

mike thats a great idea of yours...160 years on and so many familys who lived in this street are being linked up on the forum..i am sure carl could make a good article out of this for the brummagem mag....:)

lyn

Back