• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Lane Family

Thanks mate if it is him I will take my children to pay our respects asap , regarding the ancestry could you point me in the right direction or send me a link please because I’ve paid for ancestry I have the app but it’s not giving me the option to search anything I’ve been searching in death records but nothings coming up & there is no option to search for his mric or anything like that , there like a draft option but it’s just all Americans

Last edited:
You've got to search in military records. If you type in Lane for the Surname and type in 9933 for Keyword (ticking exact) that should get the results.

Also on the left hand side you should be able to change All Collections to UK and Ireland.

I use Ancestry all the time on my laptop via its website. It does have a tendency to default to "all collections". I have complained and they are "working on it" - so now I check it says "uk and ireland collections" before I press search.
It takes a while to get used to how it works. Perhaps try to find some of the things we gave posted about. Then you can save them.
Ask on here if not sure.
Good luck.

I use Ancestry all the time on my laptop via its website. It does have a tendency to default to "all collections". I have complained and they are "working on it" - so now I check it says "uk and ireland collections" before I press search.
It takes a while to get used to how it works. Perhaps try to find some of the things we gave posted about. Then you can save them.
Ask on here if not sure.
Good luck.

Thankyou guys that’s helped a great deal,I think it’s because I was using the app on my phone the desktop version is a lot easier to understand , i have found a number of things regarding my uncles death i am having trouble reading the writing but I believe that the location he fell is logged also it says it was born in hockley which I remember my mom telling me when she was better that’s we’re her nana was born ,MWS could you have a quick scan over them please
Just to confirm that it is infact my uncle ,everything adds up so far but be great to have a second opinion please ,thanks so much again for this ,I am going to try and apply for his medals and make a memorial piece with the postcards and pictures I have

Attachments

• C5FD3825-8778-4F9A-89EA-274F81D36A27.jpeg
    C5FD3825-8778-4F9A-89EA-274F81D36A27.jpeg
    181.3 KB · Views: 8
  • 00124038-54CC-41A3-A8AE-12F69308CB4B.jpeg
    00124038-54CC-41A3-A8AE-12F69308CB4B.jpeg
    203.7 KB · Views: 8
  • 4ECF3525-B371-4EFC-B179-64F51B412664.jpeg
    4ECF3525-B371-4EFC-B179-64F51B412664.jpeg
    388.1 KB · Views: 7
  • 2EA547C5-DB09-48E5-853B-A59165DB9AA4.jpeg
    2EA547C5-DB09-48E5-853B-A59165DB9AA4.jpeg
    353.1 KB · Views: 9
I am not convinced this is the right A Lane. If you look at who the effects were sent to - then who is that person?? If we can tie that name toArthur then you have the right person.
1628500101822.png

Last edited:
Not sure who the lady was but Arthur certainly seems to have been born in Hockley. The family are living on Little King St in 1901 and Arthur was baptised St Saviour, Hockley. His brother Henry was baptised at St Matthias.

There are not many WWI deaths for an A/Arthur Lane.

I also looked for a May Elizabeth Oldrieve, best I could find was Mary Elizabeth Oldrieve. There were just 2 and both lived and died in Devon/Cornwall.

The elder of the 2 had an illegitimate grandson named Percival Oldreive who was also in the Coldstream Guards and there is a death for a Percival Oldreive in 1914. So maybe they were friends.

On the 1911 census the parents, William and Martha, seem to have disappeared (died?). John (a soldier - is this the J J of the postcard) is a soldier and living with brother Albert and family.
Hannah, Henry and Arthur are with sister Louisa (her husband William Tomkinson and family). Susannah is married, Ernest and Elizabeth seem to be married.

I can’t thankyou enough for all your reasearch honestly it’s so amazing ,I’m just at work atm as soon as I am home I am going to have proper read through all your findings and start doing some searching of my own with what you guys have told me ,it’s great they had such a big family and that he lived with his sister as I lived with my mine for a while ,another question I have is that if Martha died before Arthur ,who was he addressing in the postcard when he said ,,are you proud of me mom.. so much too look into 3 days ago I didn’t know anything I can’t express how grateful I am ,god bless all of you[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]

Last edited:
Does it say 'are you proud of me now' ?

Yes it does mate well spotted I wish I could read the rest of the postcards ,I’m sure it’s just casual chit chat but knowing he died just makes what he said that more special, they were his last messages home ,I wonder what happens to John then I’ve never heard his name And I wonder who Jack lane was because i have photos of him or maybe that’s John and it’s the wrong name another thing to investigate ,also just wanted to let you know that because of your findings we are going on a trip to my uncle Arthur’s grave to pay our respects ,my uncle Arthur (florences son) had louvane in his name so do a few of my cousins and we always believed it was were he died but I have been doing some research and it was far from
The front in 1917 , & I can’t see him being there ,it also says in the form on ancestery that he died in Flanders ,So much information to go ,also I saw somebody mention louise married into the Tomkinson family so I assume that the photo I have is off her daughter because it the same photo place as my aunty lil used in Aston maybe there together

Hello don’t know if I’m posting in the right place , But I’m trying reasearch my family they were the lanes they lived at 7 back of 7 Portland street in Aston ,does anybody know anything them please or came across them researching, my great nan was called Louise lane I don’t know much about my grandads dad apart from his name was billy butler my grandad was called George butler and his brother was called Arthur ,my great great grandad was landlord of the manor tavern for a while and he had cousins the Boswells ,Harris & Lees not a lot of information just a few bits and bobs passed down but would greatly appreciate it if anyone knows anything or has any info to help me would be honestly greatly appreciated as I would love to pass the information on to my children ,thanks in advance ,Steve
I have a Birmingham friend now exiled to Hoarwithy Herefordshire whose name is Gareth William Lane and his Dad from Bermuda via South Wales was Gregory Lane....If The Lanes were seafarers and one was born in Gibraltar might they have also gone to Bermuda ???? Just saying....I can put you in touch with Gareth Lane if you wish....Sadly his Dad who was a teacher and Welsh passed away some years ago. Greg Lane and his family as teachers moved around the country quite a bit....he was Headmaster of King's Rise School in Kingstanding if that helps....let me know Keith Bracey friend of Gareth Lane since the age of 11 when we were fellow pupils at George Dixon Grammar School for Boys in City Road Edgbaston

Yes it does mate well spotted I wish I could read the rest of the postcards ,I’m sure it’s just casual chit chat but knowing he died just makes what he said that more special, they were his last messages home ,I wonder what happens to John then I’ve never heard his name And I wonder who Jack lane was because i have photos of him or maybe that’s John and it’s the wrong name another thing to investigate ,also just wanted to let you know that because of your findings we are going on a trip to my uncle Arthur’s grave to pay our respects ,my uncle Arthur (florences son) had louvane in his name so do a few of my cousins and we always believed it was were he died but I have been doing some research and it was far from
The front in 1917 , & I can’t see him being there ,it also says in the form on ancestery that he died in Flanders ,So much information to go ,also I saw somebody mention louise married into the Tomkinson family so I assume that the photo I have is off her daughter because it the same photo place as my aunty lil used in Aston maybe there together

I'm far from an expert but I suspect that Arthur possibly died in a German counter attack towards the end of the Battle Pilckem Ridge not far from Ypres.

Though John was registered as just John Lane, it seems he had/took the middle name Josiah, the name of his grandfather (Martha's dad).

Brilliant that is so I have a photo to put to the postcard that’s brilliant thanks Pjmburns you’re a great help ,I have been trying to find his records I have his I’d now it’s 9057 so I’m going to search for on the website WMS provided & hopefully it’s comes up , & Keith thanks a lot mate for your input I appreciate it but my great grandad in Gibraltar was a butler not a lane ,I’m confused myself to be honest mate so I understand how you made the mistake there so many Williams and Johns ,Niceone tho pal and I wonder if we’re still related because there seems to be a lot of lanes ,has anyone here done there dna ? does it come with local matches that’s would be amazing ,I bet I would have loads as I only have family from my Uncle Arthur & George the connection with Florences siblings children is lost sadly

Mws you’re being modest you’ve been such a good help mate ,that’s a skill that is what you have and thankyou for that I’m going to have a look now do some research on the battle I remember my mom saying when she was well that she remembers her nan saying Arthur blew himself up don’t know if that’s matches with what you’ve seen on the death report I’ve always assumed maybe a booby trapped weapon or a mine in a trench or something

I think I have accounted for all the Lane children (marriages, deaths & 1939 residences) including twins George and Thomas, b & d 1895 - 13 in total. Most, if not all, had children.

A few interesting snippets...

Martha & Susannah married brothers, Charles & Henry Kirby.

George Butler (Florence's b in law) is living with Elizabeth Lane and her husband in 1939.

William Lane, the father, appears to have spent his final years with Elizabeth, dying in 1933.

And a little more interesting for me...

Elizabeth with her father lived at 4 court 2 Clifton Road in the 1920s and early 1930s. At which time my great grandparents with living at 6 court 9, about 200 yards away.

Also not mentioned before (on this thread), another great grandfather and a brother of my great grandmother were both in the Coldstream Guards in WWI.

So there's 2 opportunities that my ancestors knew yours.

Brilliant that is so I have a photo to put to the postcard that’s brilliant thanks Pjmburns you’re a great help ,I have been trying to find his records I have his I’d now it’s 9057 so I’m going to search for on the website WMS provided & hopefully it’s comes up , & Keith thanks a lot mate for your input I appreciate it but my great grandad in Gibraltar was a butler not a lane ,I’m confused myself to be honest mate so I understand how you made the mistake there so many Williams and Johns ,Niceone tho pal and I wonder if we’re still related because there seems to be a lot of lanes ,has anyone here done there dna ? does it come with local matches that’s would be amazing ,I bet I would have loads as I only have family from my Uncle Arthur & George the connection with Florences siblings children is lost sadly
My mate Gareth Lane from the Welsh/ Brummie /Black Country branch of the Lane family has done his DNA and came up with a Robert Plant as an antecedent with a management company handling any responses to people linked by the same DNA.....We wondered if it's the Led Zeppelin Robert Plant????

I think I have accounted for all the Lane children (marriages, deaths & 1939 residences) including twins George and Thomas, b & d 1895 - 13 in total. Most, if not all, had children.

A few interesting snippets...

Martha & Susannah married brothers, Charles & Henry Kirby.

George Butler (Florence's b in law) is living with Elizabeth Lane and her husband in 1939.

William Lane, the father, appears to have spent his final years with Elizabeth, dying in 1933.

And a little more interesting for me...

Elizabeth with her father lived at 4 court 2 Clifton Road in the 1920s and early 1930s. At which time my great grandparents with living at 6 court 9, about 200 yards away.

Also not mentioned before (on this thread), another great grandfather and a brother of my great grandmother were both in the Coldstream Guards in WWI.

So there's 2 opportunities that my ancestors knew yours.

Sorry for the late reply mate had a few hard days at work this week been digging by hand,I have orderd my dna so hopefully I get a few local connections and I can tell them all the findings your hard work had unearthed ,That’s absolutely brilliant mate ,the little bits are the best to know it’s good that there were so many brothers and sisters and they didn’t all die young , and as for our family knowing each other it’s small world I’d like to think that they knew each other 1000% living that close or Edleast knew of each other,especially back then no social media the women were into everyone’s business I bet lol ,thank you so much for putting the pieces of the puzzle together honestly mate it’s amazing what you found ,not just from me but my whole family ,we’re all so great-full ,quick question do you think that there would still be graves to go and visit in Birmingham would live to our my respects , I remember my maa draggin us around Witton cemetery looking for grandad William and nana grave when we was kids to no avail ,so I’m guessing that she was told he was they were in witton is there a way to find out ??

Back