• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Lane Family

7backof7portlandstreet

knowlegable brummie
Hello don’t know if I’m posting in the right place , But I’m trying reasearch my family they were the lanes they lived at 7 back of 7 Portland street in Aston ,does anybody know anything them please or came across them researching, my great nan was called Louise lane I don’t know much about my grandads dad apart from his name was billy butler my grandad was called George butler and his brother was called Arthur ,my great great grandad was landlord of the manor tavern for a while and he had cousins the Boswells ,Harris & Lees not a lot of information just a few bits and bobs passed down but would greatly appreciate it if anyone knows anything or has any info to help me would be honestly greatly appreciated as I would love to pass the information on to my children ,thanks in advance ,

Last edited:
hi steve just in case you do not know this already the manor tavern portland st is still standing and still pulling pints...click on link below for todays streetview

lyn

So was Lane Louise's married name? Did she marry Billy Butler? Was George and Arthur their children? Sorry - I am a bit confused with who is who!

I assumed that Louise Lane married Billy (William ?) Butler and had sons George and Arthur.

However, the only George (1920) and Arthur Butler (1917) with mmn Lane I can find appear to be the sons of William John Butler and Florence Lane. They also had a sister Florence.

Some more info needed possibly.

I suppose the houses on Portland Street weren't named Hollywell Place at some stage were they?

William and Florence were the only Butler/Lane marriage I could find who possibly had the named sons.

Is Hollywell Place on/near Portland St?

Yes - it is listed under Portland Street. There are 1 to 7 Hollywell Place between 5 and 7 Portland Street. There seem to be several "places" on that street.
I tried to find a map but couldn't find Hollywell Place marked.

• Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
Did you find the marriage of William J Butler to Florence Lane in Aston in 1916? I wonder where the name Louise came from?

Last edited:
Yes, that's the one I found. Not sure, I think we need Steve to give a few more details.

A bit of a coincidence if it's not them. Did check Florence's father to see if he was a publican/innkeeper but he was a pearl button cutter, so may have the wrong people.

The maps are inconclusive, but from what is available and the electoral tolls, hollywell
place is undoubtedly behind no 7 Portland st, and almost opposite the Manor Arms

In 1878 Abraham Terry is listed at the Manor Tavern (Wainwright Street) and a William Butler is listed in the same street as a beer retailer.

• Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
I think the father of William John Butler who married Florence Lane was a William Butler. However I think he was born in 1863 Gibraltar. So another doubt.

Wow this
I think the father of William John Butler who married Florence Lane was a William Butler. However I think he was born in 1863 Gibraltar. So another doubt.
that’s amazing we was always told it was Malta
Did you find the marriage of William J Butler to Florence Lane in Aston in 1916? I wonder where the name Louise came from?
hello
I have a book called the peddlers loan it was my nanas from when she was in school it really old and it’s says Louise lane Class 3 in the start of the book so I’m not sure maybe it was a nickname ,Florence is my moms middle name aswell so that works out this is all so amazing I’m just reading though all the messages thankyou everyone

Yes, that's the one I found. Not sure, I think we need Steve to give a few more details.

A bit of a coincidence if it's not them. Did check Florence's father to see if he was a publican/innkeeper but he was a pearl button cutter, so may have the wrong people.
So was Lane Louise's married name? Did she marry Billy Butler? Was George and Arthur their children? Sorry - I am a bit confused with who is who!
Yeah George and Arthur are brothers and my nanas Florence lane her husband was Billy (William butler ) thankyou all so much for helping

Last edited:
Wow this

that’s amazing we was always told it was Malta

hello
I have a book called the peddlers loan it was my nanas from when she was in school it really old and it’s says Louise lane Class 3 in the start of the book so I’m not sure maybe it was a nickname ,Florence is my moms middle name aswell so that works out this is all so amazing I’m just reading though all the messages thankyou everyone

I think Florence had a sister called Louisa, might it have been hers?

Could you tell me Florence fathers name please mate or how do I look at what you guys are looking at really blowing me away how you guys have found so much so quickly lol ,honestly can’t thankyou enough

All the information is available on the ancestry websites. It's just a matter of tracing back from what you know.

I think her parents were William Lane and Martha Dugard but it's best to try to be certain of what you know because it's easy to go down the wrong path.

I have a photo of William lane a tiny black and white one it’s in my Maas loft it says William lane on the back his very Victorian looking like a big moustache ,i also have postcards from florences brother Arthur who died in France during ww1 would love to look into that

I assumed that Louise Lane married Billy (William ?) Butler and had sons George and Arthur.

However, the only George (1920) and Arthur Butler (1917) with mmn Lane I can find appear to be the sons of William John Butler and Florence Lane. They also had a sister Florence.

Some more info needed possibly.
Hello what information would you need ??

To make sure we're tracing the right families it's best to start with a certainty. So, your grandparents names should do it.

Things seem to be matching but you never know.
My nana was called Alice foster she was from Stoke my grandad was called George butler he died in 1970 ,his mom was called Florence lane and his dad was called Billy butler he had a brother called Arthur they lived at 7 back of 7 Portland street that’s like factual concrete evidence what I have to start from (now there is lots of rumours etc but one of the main ones my grandad Billy come over on a boat from Malta , so the Gibraltar thing works out I would love to dive deeper into that because my nana Alice youst to say I’m like my my grandad George and his brother Arthur but yeah they looked Italian/Spain/Romany we never knew were the dark genes come from but I have dark eyes and hair so do both my sons and my mother & sister looks Mediterranean also ,also my mom seems to remember her nan (Florence lane) singing flower of Scotland and crying because it reminded her off her mother so maybe that could help because Florence lanes mom or nan was definitely Scottish ,thankyou all so much for helping like honestly you’re keeping there memories alive and I appreciate the help so much thanks again

hi steve just in case you do not know this already the manor tavern portland st is still standing and still pulling pints...click on link below for todays streetview

lyn

I didn’t know it was still open I’m going to
Go down there next time im
In brum and have a pint thanks for the information

I found the death for George Frederick Butler in 1970 and the dob matches the birth for the son of William John Butler and Florence Lane.

As well as his brother, Arthur William Louvain Butler, he had a sister Florence Lilian Butler who married a Harry Munn.

From at least 1939 they were living at 17 Flackwell Road.

It was George Frederick Butler's grandfather who was born in Gibraltar but as I said I think that was because his father was probably in the army not because he was foreign.

I can find no gypsy/romany or Scottish ancestors so far.

I found the death for George Frederick Butler in 1970 and the dob matches the birth for the son of William John Butler and Florence Lane.

As well as his brother, Arthur William Louvain Butler, he had a sister Florence Lilian Butler who married a Harry Munn.

From at least 1939 they were living at 17 Flackwell Road.

It was George Frederick Butler's grandfather who was born in Gibraltar but as I said I think that was because his father was probably in the army not because he was foreign.

I can find no gypsy/romany or Scottish ancestors so far
Hello mate thanks for looking into that ,yeah that’s all makes perfect sense my uncle Arthur died in Louvane Florences brother that’s why Arthur has it in his middle name and yeah it’s just clicked I had a aunty lil my nana ust to talk about but I fort they were family from Stoke but obviously that works out now that’s my grandads sister , I spoke to my brother about it last night and he said he did a search a few years back and a women from Australia contacted him who had done extensive search she said she was a distant cousin of ours had traced her family back to a Joseph & Letitia butler who were gypsys from the West Country who settled in Birmingham I’m the late17 th century so I’m wonderingly if that’s who they descend from and that’s we’re the dark gene comes from if you’re saying that they were only posted in
Gibraltar and not from there that’s also interesting because we always assumed we were Maltese ,could you send me a link for
The army records or how to find them I’ve made a ancestery.com but I’m not really computer savvy and it’s quite complicated but im
Getting there ,yes they did a 1000% lived in flakwell road when my mom was alive because she Remembers walking round to there from the leopard pub as a child & she would always point the house out when we were passing as children ,it’s amazing because when your mentioning little things to me it’s bringing back memories I haven’t thought about for
Years ,thanks again for you’re help and if you come across anything else please please don’t hesitate to message me or post on here it’s really interesting to me ,I appreciate it so much

Last edited:
It can be difficult to trace beyond the early 18th century with a fairly common name, especially in a large town/city. Wouldn't even like to hazard a guess where the John Butler that married Ann Rider was born. It's easy to assume that because he married in Bham he was born there but there 's nothing to prove that.

There are a number of possible army records that could be his on findmypast but you need a subscription to see them. However, none appear to be for a John Butler from Bham.

If he enlisted before he married (31 Jan 1854), the record may list his occupation as a soldier and possibly his regiment. If he enlisted afterwards it may appear on the baptism/birth or marriage records of his children. Best bet John Henry who was registered 1860 in Greenwich.

Not certain when or where he died but Ann re-married in 1867.

Back