• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Kynoch's I M I 1950s Onwards

• Thread starter Thread starter shannon
  • Start date Start date
My maternal grandfather William Diaper, of Bevington Road, Aston, worked at Kynoch's for most of his adult life until his retirement in about 1950. He drove a shunting-engine, I believe. Does anyone recognise his name?

Big Gee

My Dad's sister Gwendoline Jennings then Marsden worked at Kynoch's all her working life. She also came from 191 Bevington Road. She was still at Kynoch's in the 60's and by this time was in charge of the powerhouse.

Donarp...
How weird.. My Dad is in this photo you posted, he is third from the left.. Bill Morgan is fisrst on the left. Bill Morgan was Fire Chief, my Dad was Second fire chief. What was the photo taken for...?

Donapr.,.
I would love to see the photos and names in you book, to see if there is anyone I remember. I worked in The Kynoch Press, in 1963, the year your Grandad retired..

G.G.Jean....Yes it is lovely to click on a photo and see people you know from the past, in this case my Dad. Also it is a photo I have never seen before.

Edit. Image unavailable.

Hello Picture taken 31th Dec 1963, When my Grandad ( the little chap) retired,given the date I wonder if it was also a new years dinner???

The Book only contains signatures but i will look for there names....what are the surnames????

Donarp...
How weird.. My Dad is in this photo you posted, he is third from the left.. Bill Morgan is fisrst on the left. Bill Morgan was Fire Chief, my Dad was Second fire chief. What was the photo taken for...?

Hi, I have found Bill Morgan signature, what is dads name???

Dona

What memories this post bought to me. I, too worked at Lightning Fasteners in the 50's for 17 years. I worked for a Mr.H. Birch and Mr. Hanns. in the Engineering Department. My husband was in charge of the Toolroom. I was happy here and as said, the site was very large, almost self contained. There was a club room [many dances held ther with all the big bands] a dentist. Had many Christmas Parties in the Club house - even tried Archery. Miriam.

My father George Burridge atarted work ay Kynocks as a lad of 15 and cycled there every day from Kings Norton My mom worked there also in the munitions when they married they lived in Station Rd I remember him getting his gold watch ah memories Bobby b

Donnapr.. Edit. Image unavailable.
I had to laugh....This photo was taken when I was 11 yrs old in 1954.
Your photo was taken on 1963, yet my Dad is wearing the exact same clothes. Wow.... They looked after their clothes back then..HEE HEE.

iSSABELLANNE,

Just found this thread and you are correct in saying that the building was called the ARTISTIC. My husband was toolroom foreman there before the tools and machinary was moved over the road to Lightning Fasteners., the main factory for making the zips. he
, being made Toolroom Manager

He continued to work there until he retired at age 62.

Miriam.

From my marriage in 1957 until I left in 1959 I walked to work from Stoneligh Road, across Aston Lane into Wellhead lane and turned right into the factory. I can recall the two houses, one either side of the gate, but I have no memory of Holford House, Chris. Was it anywhere near to the Pavillion, at the end of Holford Drive, much loved by us youngsters in those days, as it was where we spent many Saturday evenings dancing. It was the sports pavillion, there was a bar downstairs, a lounge and dance floor upstairs.

I can remember the medical centre which was near to the Wellhead Lane entrance, and the wooden huts that housed the Apprentice school office, which we have mentioned before on the Kynoch thread.

I have no memory of Holford House, Chris. Was it anywhere near to the Pavillion, at the end of Holford Drive, much loved by us youngsters in those days............

(Nice to see you posting, Di).

I can't describe the exact location of Holford House, but it was well within the site and and on the far side of it from Holford Drive or the Witton gate, "out in the country" in fact. In the 1950s and later it was the home of the Education and Training Department (people like John Swanzy, Harry Wainwright and others) and you went there on courses. It was a nice old house, tucked away from all the hustle and bustle of the factory proper.

I have in front of me the programme for a Division Staff Course for "7th-11th November 1960., Holford House, Witton" (not mine, it was given to me). It contains the names of many senior managers who were addressing the participants: T.G. Austin, F.W. Scouse, D. Mitchell, H.L. Farrimond, T.H. Gallie, P. Hodgkinson, D.G.I. MacDonald, A.D. Peel, H.M. Myers, A. Watson, S.G. Temple, T.G. Winslow, S.S. Smith, J. Crosbie, P.Kempson, J.F. Mills, R.P. Robinson, J.A. Hunt, R. Amos, B.W.E. Pearson, T. Lupton, M.J.S. Clapham. The faces of one or two of these appear in this thread: https://forum.birminghamhistory.co.uk/showthread.php?t=697 (post #149 and others).

Chris

Last edited:
Hi

Chris has described the Location it wasnt that far from the Brookvale/
Holford side. A long way from the Wellhead Lane entrance.
They were alway's happy sessions. Usually in the Afternoon
so it was off with your overhauls good wash and brush up
and onto Holford House. Took about 10 minuts from the
Engineerining Workshops near the Amal site/Engineering DO.
Tea and biscuits nice classrooms. Lectures on everything
known to man. Income Tax pesions stocks and shares
health and safety courses first aid. I was the representative
on the Works Council for a year for the Plant Apprentice's
so I had my fill of couses.

Happy Day's

Mike Jenks

They really were happy days, Mike. I loved the time I worked there.

Thanks Chris.

I didn't use the Brookvale Road, Holdord Drive entrance very often, so that is why I don't remember the house.. As to the list of lecturers I can remember a few of them, Michael Clapham and TG Austin, my boss when I left in 1959 was Mr Peel, he was head of Supply Department. I worked with Mr Crosbie's daughter Irene, they were a super family.

Hello Chris M. Looking through my husbands old files I came across 5 more pictures - bar with me and your know what Robert the Bruse said?
Here Go's again.

Issabellanne Hello.

in order, the names I can recall but will try to find out the remainder

No.2. Wilf Lewis [Toolroom}

No.4 Al banner [ my husband] ]

No.8 Tom Lee.

No.4 & 8 in change of LF Toolroom. M iriam

View attachment 26194

Edit. Image unavailable.

This is a photo of my dad Tommy Jones he worked as a works police for years, he was on the gate in that little brick building, we used to take the micky as his number was WP49. he used to polish his shoes and his buttons till they gleamed, if I was good he would let me help. Dad was last one on the right

Dear Patty.

Which Gate was your Policeman on = I can remember being serched two or three times by the police at the gates at going home tim - must have a guilty face. Miriam.

The main gates at the front, there was a little building on the right side were they made their tea and clocked in.

I have found an old Kynock press and will sort some photo's out of that and put them on. There were quite a few retirements at that time. Jean.

Hello Issabellanne. Sorry about delay - the only other information I have found is The picture was taken at The Artisc and 1958 or before.

I have also sent further pictures of variuous people .

one is the LF pensioners do.Miriam & Al Banner. Peter & Jane Masters.

a Ken Westbury with his son.

LF/IMI dance. Doreen Venables. Miriam HemusPeter and Jane Masters. Miriam and Al Banner

Can recall some names. Arthue Showell. Jack Stevens. Jack Musson

Les Marshall do you know any more. Miriam.

Edit. Images referred to are unavailable.

Hello Jean. Post No. 180 - 3rd man along - Lightning Fasteren Tool Maker and Union Rep. Remember him receiving a Medal of some sort OBE or MBE ??? }

Post 182. Frank Freman' Lightning Fasteners Works Study.

Faces look familer on other pictures but no nmes come to mind.

Miriam.

Shame the photo's are not very clear Miriam but I have a couple of larger ones to copy then I will put them on. Glad you recognised someone. Did you ever know Mervin Smithor George and Betty Dorkins?. Mervin is Pete's brother and he took some of his fingers off on a machine once. Jean.

Edit. Image unavailable.

This is a photograph of Mr Joseph Cotton who won a top American engineering award 1978. He was fromerly Chief Scientist in the Research and Developement Dept of IMI. Jean.

Back