• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Kingstanding

• Thread starter Thread starter margaret
  • Start date Start date
Dave M
That clears it up for me.What used to be Jones's furiture shop has been divided into two and Co-Op Funeral Services have top part.

Pembroke the shop on the corner has changed a few times I believe, might have a wander tomorrow Dave

hi you guys, why am i getting all your emails, yes i know its nice to be kept up to date with all the gos, but i only passed a comment last night, is this normal,? one reply is sent to all.

Do any of you know of Joannes Florrists on the corner of Greenholm road well we buy our pansies from there and as and from next week are moving to open a small garden center where Greenaways fishing tackle used to be. Jean.

thanks mike-g, i assume your refering to my unsolicited e, mails,? at any rate ive been into control panel, hope ive sorted it, i find these computors very complicated past a certain point, cheers tom.

Re: kingstanding Marriott's

Pembroke Marriott's was in the block of shops Dyas road Kingstanding road corner, there was Lathams haberdashery, Haines vegi shop, Curtains the newsagents, Mason grocery then ? ? ? > then the barber shop, short back and sides for kids 9d then Marriott's. I got my first bike from Allen's on Hawthorn road it was a Phillips Kingfisher in 1952 Moss in Aus

Moss there is a big furniture shop next to where Lathams used to be in Dyas road will take a photo of that as well as the others on my list. Was there a butchers at that time round the corner on the Kingstanding road?. Jean.

hi jean the big furniture shop, is where lathams used to be, and the butchers was rochells and closed a few years ago, and is now a indian resturant

Thanks Maur I remember Rochells my neice used to work there and my son now uses the Indian place once in a blue moon. I used to buy my nets from lathems and that's going back some years. Remember Foster Bros too and they had another branch on Kingstanding circle. Have a photo of John Rochelle at a party we went to. It was my neices 21st will have to sort it out. We went in fancy dress. Jean.

you have a good memory maurice, my mom and dad had the barrow outside lathams, selling fruit and veg, early fifties i can remember,---50--53,??

Yes there was fosters at the circle as well. There was a fishing tackle shop i think it was next to fosters on hawthorn, or just round the corner,i used to have to get on the 90 bus from queslett road to go and buy a pint of maggots for my brother, oh they did smell.

Maur yes there was a fishing tackle shop but will ask Pete in the morning as he is in dreamland at the moment. Can't quite pinpoint where it was. Oh my brain has come alive it was round the corner from Big Johns the other side of the bank [money] and was another Greenaways shop. Not bad for the time of the night. Do you remember a punk working at Rochelles only she was my neice Helen and is a member of the forum but does not post any more. Jean.

thats correct it was greenways, and was where the bank is now, i dont remember your neice im afraid, but i did see mr rocelle a couple of months ago and he looked well.

Hi Moss
There was also electrical shop in same area as Marriott's.Can remember looking in its window and seeing a Hoover Constellation vacuum cleaner for first time and wondering what it was.(Strange how some daft infomation sticks in peoples minds) Have just found out from Wikipedia that the Constellation was introduced in 1952 so can pinpoint year.
Pembroke

Was sent every Saturday morning throughout war years to queue at Rochells Kingstanding Circle for the weekly meat ration.(hardly worth waiting for).Can recall my parents mentioning a few times that they had been talking to Harry Rochell in Kingstanding pub. Did Harry's parents run the branch at Hawthorne Rd area and Harry the branch on Circle.

Greenaways used to be at the top of Warren Farm then i think they moved across the road, Kingstanding Rd just down from Lathams, they are now located opposite Pype Hayes Park on the Chester Rd i think. Thinking about it, there was one on the corner of Kingstanding and Tresham Rd so i might be getting my tackle mixed up
That furniture shop by Miles pet shop was at one time run by Cavendish i seem to recall, mid to late 60's ??

bren

Last edited:
Had a wander to Pype Hayes and Hawthorn Road, had a chat to Chris and the Ladies in Miles, a few changes over the years Dave

Do any of you know of Joannes Florrists on the corner of Greenholm road well we buy our pansies from there and as and from next week are moving to open a small garden center where Greenaways fishing tackle used to be. Jean.

The tackle shop by Greenholm was Fosters wasn't it, they now have a very large place in Moor Lane

bren

Kingstanding Road, old n today

The view might be blocked forever, due to that evergreen tree (I believe)

thanks dave..looks about right...its vine searchers wife who is looking for the pics..she has worked at miles pet shop for years...she will be online later on...

lyn

nice pics dave...i popped into tescos earlier..they only opened today..looks ok to me...

lyn

lyn someone was videoing there as I left to go around the corner Dave

will they last as long as Miles

Back