• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Key Hill Cemetery Memorial Inscriptions

Slightly off subject - you can see from the pics that those trees are shedding again!
You would not think those paths had been sept/raked recently!

We have got one of our Quarterly @Clean Up' days coming up on Sat November 27th 10.00 - finish (No later than 15.00)

Despite the few odd leaves lying about in Key Hill - We have promised to try and finish trimming the ivy and paths in Warstone Lane Catacombs (See Leslams pics recently of it).

Should anyone want to pop along and work up a thirst before heading off to the Rose Villa Tavern - or Jewellers Arms - or Red Lion or The Lord Clifden? etc,. etc, please pop in. Sensible shoes/clothing required. Gloves, Secteurs (Nail clippers?) useful, (Machetes VERY useful).

Please do not be shy - all are welcome (grovel, grovel, anything for free advertising)

Brian

Helen
Lovely photos. The cemetery looks lovely in the sunshine. I am glad Brian explained that the memorial should be a sort of hollow box as I couldn't work out where the stones should be. I do hope thay can find a way of repairing it.
Your daughter looks very busy with the dustpan and brush! :)

I was able to open the word document - what was your family connection to Alvechurch?

Polly :)

We have got this date in our diary Brian! We are actually supposed to be picking my daughters friend up from Harborne so may either do that early and bring her to help, or come till about 1 or 2 and then have to leave early to pick her up but one way or another we are planning to do our bit!

Polly, no particular connection to Alvechurch as far as the Phillips are concerned, I don't know why he was selected to lay the foundation stone. I am hoping to find out something when I get chance to visit the Archives at Birmingham Library when I can look into the Cannon Street Meeting House archives. There may be something in the minutes.

I have a stronger connection to Alvechurch through my Kimberley side - Harriet who is mentioned on the headstone was a Kimberley prior to marriage. Some of her ancestors were from Alvechurch: Kettle, Griffin and Wheighan.

BTW Harriets 2 x great uncle Edward Kimberley (think its 2 x) was on the first fleet of convicts to Australia and her sister Frances married Theodore Turley - one of the founder names of the Mormon church. I should only be suprised actually not to have found more relations in Key Hill!

And although I didn't realise that the younger William Phillips was a nonconformist, it might explain why he married in the Registry office which is something that had not occured to me before although I am only just picking up family history again after an 11 year gap.

Helen

Hi Wendy

I would be very grateful if you would be kind enough to look up the plot number of Samuel and Sarah Phillilps who are buried in Key Hill. We found the grave next to 'my' other one on Sunday but weren't immediately sure whether it was one of 'mine'. It does appear to be and I would like to log it as an interest on my Friends of Key Hill application form. Samuel died 1856 and Sarah 1865, there are others buried there too.

Thank you
x

Helen I have Samuel Phillips died 1856 in section D grave 212. I then found Sarah Phillips died 1865 section D none. I would be interested to know if there is a memorial as I know the inscriptions do have some errors which is not surprising for such a mamouth task. Please let me know Wendy:).

Thanks Wendy

Yes it does, took a photo but not a great one as I didn't reaise the connection at the time. Will post picture below but will get a better one on Monday as I have now found someone in
Warstone also so are planning on calling in on the way to a friends house. Not completely sure this is mine becauView attachment 59038se the dates of birth don't match however everything else seems to and they were living next door to each other in the 1841 census. View attachment 59037

Here is transcription:
Sacred
To The Memory of
Samuel Phillips
Born Sept 14th 1784, died Novr 25th 1856
also Sarah, Wife of the above
born Janr 12th 1785, died April 19th 1865
also
John Watson Hamilton
also Emma Watson Hamilton
born March 30th 1818,
died October 31st 1897
also John Watson
son of the above
who died October 13th 1914
aged 72 years

(last name should also be John Watson Hamilton)

Thank you Helen I will put a note of this in my inscription book.

Thanks again Wendy.

I'm just wandering if there may be a grave and a MI for a SUSANNAH TURTON whom died 29/4/1899. Would also be interestrd to Khow of any other TURTON burials?

Many thanks

Steve

Steve I could not find Susannah in Key Hill Cemetery. There are about 41Turtons buried in Key Hill Cemetery some with memorials.

Hi, I hope you can assit me, my dad left the UK in the 60s for sunny South Africa, I have managed to trace his parents, but am not having much luck with his grand parents, my dad is going home next year for a holiday to visit his brother and would love to visit family grave.

In the 1911 census I have found his grandparents. William Pratty born 1868, Jane Pratty born 1870, they lived at 142 Moseley street Birmingham warwickshire. I have no idea when they died. Any information you have regarding surname Pratty/Prattey would be greatly appreciated. Have a wonderful day and thanks so much... from sunny south africa. Niki

Hello and welcome Niki. I have checked Key Hill Cemetery and they are not there. I will try and check Warstone Lane for you. The only other suggestions may be Witton Cemetery or Yardley but you would have to have more info like a death date. Perhaps put a general request in the geneaology section. There are some brilliant people on here who may help you more.

Hi, thanks so much for looking... William Pratty born 1868, 1870, found to different dates of birth on 1901 and 1911 census, I think from what I have found died 1918 ... How would I get details on witton Cemetery or Yardley ?. Thanks so much for all your help, much appreciated. Nix. Have a fab day.

The problem you have is the only indexes are at central library and some are hard to read. You could send emails to the cemeteries who may return information for one person if they don't have to search. They do usually charge but as I said may do one look up for you.

e-mail:
wittoncem@birmingham.gov.uk

yardleycem&crem@birmingham.gov.uk

Last edited by a moderator:
Wendy
Would you be so kind as to do a cemetrey look up for me ..........the name iam looking for is Edward SABIN... i cannot find a death cert for him, but he is believed to have died 1855 at St Bartholomews hospital Edgebaston on the 1851 census he lived in Baggott st, Bishops Ryder, sub rego district St Marys Birmingham .......hope this information helps your search i have google earthed Baggott st to give me some idea of the area he lived in but GE wont show me!!!!
Kind regards
Liz
Western Australia

I have checked Warstone Lane and Key Hill cemeteries the only Sabins in Key Hill Cemetery are William buried 1844 section F grave no 43 no memorial.

Elizabeth Sabin 1884 Section K grave no 671 Memorial Inscription. In loving memory of Elizabeth Sabin who died February 3rd 1884 in her 82nd year. Also Eliza Dale daughter of the above died February 16th 1893 aged 62 years. Also Joseph Woolley died February 11th 1894 aged 61 years. Also Emma Woolley daughter of the above who died January 18th aged 62 years. Notes - Flat slab stone. Memorial buried on site. No memorial present.

The only reference to Edward I found in the records I have is in St Martins burials 11th August 1842 Sarah daughter of Edward and Eliza Sabin abode Hows Street age 4 years.

Liz

There is a registered death for a EDWARD SABIN registered WARWICK in the June 1/4 of 1855 ref 6d 274. The question would be "Why Warwick?"

Steve

Mirmie, I think you gave the wrong spelling in your search the correct name is BAGOT Street, between Lancaster Street and Aston Road.

Hello Wendy
Please would you do a look up for Warstone Lane? It's for William and Rosina Haddleton and they both died in around September 1926.

Thank you,
Rosie.

Rosie the only one I could find is in Key Hill Cemetery that comes close is William Haddleton death 1928 in section C grave no 327. Sorry they are not in Warstone Lane,

Hello Wendy,
Thank you for the look ups and I'm sorry I've wasted your time. ( On my notes I've written ref 89627 and 89619 for 24th and 25th September 1926.)
They all lived around Spring Hill so the other one is probably related somehow!!
Thanks again,
Rosie.

Wendy,
I have just found your thread and wondered if you have any Middleton MI's? John died Jan qtr of 1878, Elizabeth (Sarah) and a baby, John, in June qtr 1878. Their daughter, Mary Lizzie, ended up in Sir Josiah Masons Orphanage and I have no record of her after mid 1880's? Any help would be great.

Many TRhanks

Jan

Wendy,
Have you any details about Selina Yapp (died 1899) and Thomas Yapp (died1886) please ?. I think they are in Warstone Lane.

Thank you.
Rosie.

Bigmama sorry I couldn't find a record for your Middletons in Key Hill or Warstone Lane although the records I have are not complete.

Rosie I found a Thomas Yapp died 1886 buried in Warstone Lane section O grave number 36014. Selina could be there as my records are not complete. I don't think there is a memorial either. You may like to contact Handsworth Cemetery for any futher information as they have the burial records for Warstone Lane Cemetery.

Hi Rosie, Wendy, Having spoke to BMSG&H re incomplete records for WL, they have just issued an update. Here are the Yapp's
Surname Forenames Year Section Ref No in Plot Grave
YAPP
Charlotte 1862​
E 284 10876
Doris K 1922 B 1795 85848

Harry 1926 D 1273 89573

Iris Patricia 1944 P 1950 97422

Jane 1878 P 1823 23852

Lucy 1854 T 5 2482

Mary 1863 E 239 11639

Mary Ann 1925 D 978 88976 3

Selina 1899 B 1684 55569 5

Thomas 1886 O 741 36014

c BMSGH 2010

Selina is a separate grave from Thomas, who appears to be on his own?. Selina is one of 5 on a memorial - could be she's buried with her own family - what was her maiden name?

Brian

Bigmama,

Sorry, no Johns, or Elizabeth (Sarah) at all. There is a Mary in 1877 and 2 mary Anns's but no Mary Lizzie or variant in the recent WL issue
Brian

Back