• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Key Hill Cemetery Memorial Inscriptions

Hi Brian,

Thank you for sending that update, it was a lovely surprise!
I think Harry is the Grandson of Thomas & Selina, I don't know why she would have 5 in the plot as she already has a daughter in Key Hill (Selina Inwood) from a previous marriage.
She did have an "interesting " past, as I think she appears to have married Thomas while Robert Inwood was still alive!!
She also called herself Selina Pratt when she lived with Willam Pratt the printer in Digbeth. Her maiden name was Bettridge from Moseley. Isn't genealogy complicated?!
Thanks also to BMSGH for the information.

Rosie.

The latest disk with updates was a nice suprise to me, as I was not expecting it yet. there may still be people 'missing' off the disk so if youy know someone is definitely in WL, but are 'hiding' on the disk, please let me know so we can get BMSG&H to check undrr their carpet!

Will get updates to Wendy asap to keep the service running smoothly!

I often think you need to go on an Agatha Christie weekend to leasrn about Genealogy - very confusing!

brian

Thanks again Wendy and Brian.
I've got a lot of "visiting" to do when the weather improves!!
Happy New Year.
Rosie.

Hello, I'm new to the forum.
Recently I was able to locate my great grandmother and her children in the Burial Index. I would be most interested in knowing if any inscriptions for this family exist. Also, how do I obtain the exact location and details whether it was a common grave or a family plot. My two great great grandmothers are buried at Key Hill too.
Thank you in advance.

Believe I inadvertently hit the wrong reply button to someone else's response. My apologies ....from a newbie to the forum.

Wendy, I read your kind offer and wondered if you still provide look-ups.

Last week I located my great grandmother and her children in the Warwickshire Burial Index (findmypast). I would be most interested in knowing if any inscriptions for this family exist. Does the book provide exact burial locations as well? Also, I have two great great grandmothers buried at Key Hill Cemetery too.

Thank you in advance for any assistance. Any help is much appreciated.

I have a book which includes some memorial inscriptions and grave locations for Key Hill and I have copies of name indexes for Key Hill and Warstone Lane which also give grave location. If you let me have the names and any other info which may help I will have a look for you.

Wendy,

Thank you for your kind offer and assistance.

Buried at Key Hill are my great grandmother and her children:

COURT - Sarah Ann, buried 1902 [April] - Register No. 44069
COURT - Freda Catherine, buried 1902 [Dec.] - Register No. 44381
COURT - Eva Florence, buried 1896 [Jan?] - Register No. 39833
COURT -Joseph Harold, buried 1896 [July - Sept.] - Register No. 40285
COURT - James Gabriel, buried 1895 [April - June] - Register No. 39365

It is possible my great grandfather my also buried at Key Hill. His name is Charles COURT and he died February 1907 at City Asylum (Winsom Green).

Great Great grandmothers:

KIRBY - Mary Nelly, buried 1878 [Dec.]- Register No. 25764
STEED - Phoebe, buried 1901 [May] - Register No. 43542

I truly appreciate your help.
Regards,
Gail C

Here is all the info I could find.

Eva Florence Court buried 1896 section L9 vault.
Freda Catherine Court buried 1902 section L12 lower catacomb
James Gabriel Court buried 1895 section S1
Joseph Harold Court buried 1896 section L38
Sarah Ann Court buried 1902 section S25
William Howard Court buried 1893 H13 vault
Mary Nelly Kirby buried 1878 section L8 vault
Phoebe Steed buried 1901 L53

Sadly none of the graves have memorial inscriptions as they are mostly public graves some will have headstones which you had to pay to include your relatives name. It will be possible to pinpoint where the graves are though.

I also found this grave not sure if it's connected to your family
Section I grave no 767
In loving memory of Ernest youngest son of George and Sarah Court who departed this life October 31st 1883 aged 5 years and 7 months.

Wendy thank you so much for you time and trouble. It is greatly appreciated.

It's sad the family are all buried separately and couldn't afford to inscribe the loved one's name on the public headstones. I would assume the same applies for another lot at Warstone Lane.

Ironically, six months after the death of their mother (my great grandmother), the father/husband was seeking placement for his remaining children through a Birmingham agency. At the time, it was reported he earned 25 shillings a week (more than the minimum required) and the case was declined. Eventually, my grandfather was shipped to Canada in 1905 under the "Home Child" program.

Again, a BIG Thank You!
Gail C

Hi Gail it's no problem when I next visit the cemetery I will take some photo's for you. We will never realy know the circumstances of our ancestors lives but these bits of information do help.
If you give me the names of the people in Warstone Lane I will check them as well.

Wendy,

Hi Wendy, You are a Gem!

Here are the names buried at Warstone Lane:

Henry or Harry COURT buried 1893
Frederick COURT buried 1901
Thomas COURT buried 1903
Susan COURT buried 1904

Sophia BIDDLE buried 1898 [1st husband Charles WARREN - 2nd husband Thomas BIDDLE]

Lydia BABINGTON buried 1937
Zacharia John BABINGTON buried 1940

Again, thank you so much for your kind assistance.

Gail

Hi Wendy,

I forgot one. Could you see if there is a George COURT buried 1911 at Warstone Lane. He's my great great grandfather and knowing his resting place would be nice to have too.

Thank you so much.
Gail

Hello Gail I have looked through the indexes I have but couldn't find any of the people you list. The indexes I have are not complete so hopefully I will get a new disc soon. When I do I will do another search. Best wishes Wendy.

Hi Gail, Wendy.

Just saw the thread - Here are WL Babingtons -
Surname Forenames Year Section Ref No inPlot Grave
BABINGTON Caroline 1875​
P 9 19587

BABINGTON​
Lydia 1937 J 15 94717

BABINGTON​
Martha Emma 1874 G 1093 18219

BABINGTON​
Zacharia John 1940 P 1969 95575
There is no mention of a memorial
Biddle
Sophia 1898 P 1582 53766
Thomas 1849​
P 1486 260 8 MI

Thomas 1861 F 380 9793

Thomas 1874 G 1060 18138

Thomas 1885 B 1798 34905

Thomas 1892 P 1486 45225 8 MI

No Charles Warren still,

Court
Harry 1893​
P 1931 46266
Frederick 1901 O 1067 58014
Thomas 1903 O 842 59884
Susan 1904 O 802 60158

many of these look like Public graves, I'm afraid. Most Publics in WL do not have headstones.

S25 in Key, is I think from memory, one removed due to the Metro and has been reloacted as a one of a group of 3 by the Metro memorial above/behind the catacombs.

Brian

Thanks Brian I will have to pick the new indexes up as mine has more missing than on it!

Hi Wendy,
The old one starts the s's with Seeley - all the sa's are missing!, so are all the ex Christchurch people like John Baskerville!
See Rob at the Pen Room when you get a chance to collect it.
Brian

Hi Wendy,

Thank you for all your help. You have assisted in more ways than you know.
I found the Key Hill Cemetery map you have posted. Along with the map and the burial locations of my ancestors, I can now appreciate where they are interred ( approximately). I found a walk-about of the Cemetery on 'youtube'. Such an incredible rush!

Regards,
Gail

Hello Brian,

Thank you for reply and wonderful detailed information.

It's a pity these folks are buried in Public graves, as we all seek memorial inscriptions to embellish our ancestors history and/or hope to find others buried within the grave. On the bright side, I know more today than I did a few days ago!

As per Key Hill Cemetery, I was wondering why Section "S" was not found on the map. Realizing urban sprawl and re-development is unavoidable in any large city, it's still a little sad to hear your ancestor (and all the other poor souls) was uprooted.

Again, thank you. Your kind generosity is greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Gail

Hi Gail glad we could help. Key Hill Cemetery is a wonderful place as you could see from utube. I have made a note of your family there and when the weather improves I will take some photo's.

Thank's Brian I will call and collect the new disc thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Wendy,
My thanks to you, and to Dick and to Doug, and to the rest of the team; this sort of work is invaluable for amateur genealogists such as me.

I haven't the foggiest idea where most of my relatives were buried (but for a recent few at Lodge Hill). I will look for a few Fellows, and Bayliss, ect who might have been laid to rest at Key Hill, and send them your way for lookup in a few days time.

Thanks again
Kevin

Hi Wendy

Would Minnie Elizabeth Dugmore be on your list for Warstone Lane
Or 2 Charles Reddall one in 1889 and the other 1897
oooohh i hope so
Many Many thanks

Hi Wendy, would you be able to look for Walter Redding (but it may be spelt as Reading), born 17 June 1816 (Canon Street MH), died 17 December 1856 and according to records buried at Key Hill. Many thanks. Chris

Hi Wendy

Would Minnie Elizabeth Dugmore be on your list for Warstone Lane
Or 2 Charles Reddall one in 1889 and the other 1897
oooohh i hope so
Many Many thanks

My records for Warstone Lane are incomplete I found Charles Reddall buried 1889 section O grave no 1150. I did not find Minnie or any Dugmore's buried in 1897 but will have a look when I get my updated disc.:)

Hi Wendy, would you be able to look for Walter Redding (but it may be spelt as Reading), born 17 June 1816 (Canon Street MH), died 17 December 1856 and according to records buried at Key Hill. Many thanks. Chris

The only Walter Reading I could find was buried in 1864 section O grave 518 there was no Walter listed under Redding.

The only Walter Reading I could find was buried in 1864 section O grave 518 there was no Walter listed under Redding.

Thanks Wendy, will go back to the date of death, maybe it has been listed wrong, which as you know does happen in transcription.

Hi Wendy,

Thank you for offering to do these look ups which I'm sure will be helpful to many and I hope you may be able to help me.

I have the following buried at Key Hill Cemetery:

Elizabeth REA buried 1857. Apparently there is an MI and there are 6 in the grave.
Agnes Brown REA buried 1878 and her son Alfred Watkins REA the same year.
Henry REA buried 1852

Finally, John REA buried 1870 Warstone Lane

Thank you very much in anticipation.

Karen

Back