• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Items that have faded away

Status
Not open for further replies.
I must count myself lucky in this case then as I have a choice of 5 excellent butchers within a relatively short distance - one being a branch of Walter Smith's. I always feel slightly cautious though when entering those that advertise that they are Family Butchers.

I must count myself lucky in this case then as I have a choice of 5 excellent butchers within a relatively short distance - one being a branch of Walter Smith's. I always feel slightly cautious though when entering those that advertise that they are Family Butchers.
Why is that Bernie? Ours is. Taylors. His cousin used to serve my parents area but he moved. And there is one in Balsall Common too.Nan hated clews as she said their mate was rawmy. (strong smelling and dark).

Not so much a product, more of an object. Does anyone remember the Statuettes of the boy and girl who were both looking down at a Frog on a stone by their feet. My mom had one of each and always refered to them as Shy Boy and Shy Girl. I think they were made of either Alabaster or some other form of Chalk. This was in the early 50s.
jimbo

Hi Jimbo. The pair my Mother had on the mantleshelf, were much earlier than then (I am 82).

Both were engraved, the female said 'Nannette' the male said 'Toto'....

Nan used something to clean her overn inside. It was a square sponge with the cream coming out of a little hole in the middle. A bit like what they use on shoes now. It was in a tube. Could do with some now.

Tin foil for guide dogs Ken! Totally forgotton about that. Used to collect foil milk bottle tops too. Viv.

According to www.televisionheaven.co.uk, Blue Peter fans collected "seven and a half tons of silver paper to buy two guide dogs for the blind (1964)" Wonder if the same can be done today? In fact, can collecting silver foil to buy guide dogs still be done? Viv.

my wife was telling me the other day about the embarrasing time when she was first fitted for a bra because her first bra was a pointed one and it stuck out like a sore thumb.

foil milk bottle tops

Remember the school milk bottles had these and we'd rub them to smooth them out, then flick them between first and second fingers to make flying saucers.

Did anyone have a Bayko building set? Green thermoplastic bases with a grid of holes into which were inserted stiff wires. The 'bricks' windows and doors were then slid down and you topped it off with a red? roof.

Someone mentioned Chaplains at Saltley Gate and if I remember correctly there was a branch at the Pelham too.

Hi talking of building sets, i had one when i was a kid. It had bricks like real bricks, and you build them using a type of cement. my dad and me played with this for years and built quite a few houses etc. When we had completed one and wanted to reuse the bricks all we had to do was stand the building in a bowl of hot water and the cement would desolve and the bricks could be used again and again. I can't remember what it was called thou.

Hi talking of building sets, i had one when i was a kid. It had bricks like real bricks, and you build them using a type of cement. my dad and me played with this for years and built quite a few houses etc. When we had completed one and wanted to reuse the bricks all we had to do was stand the building in a bowl of hot water and the cement would desolve and the bricks could be used again and again. I can't remember what it was called thou.

Brickplayer. I had a set as well. Trouble was though that you stuck the roofs, which were cardboard, on with glue so they could be used only the once. We used flour and water paste to stick the bricks together.

D'you know, I very, very vaguely seem to remember building things with rubber bricks (dark red) but cannot remember any more than that. Is it my imagination? Was there such a product? It would be in the '50s.

Curly I do remember skimming bottle tops. Also, does anyone remember sticky buds you used to throw at people and it stuck on their clothes.. Also, we used to gather bits of wool off peoples jumpers and lump them altogether to get a big ball.

I don't think we stuck our roof on we just placed it. Am i right in thinking that you could use the same roof for different models by simply re bending it?
Brickplayer. I had a set as well. Trouble was though that you stuck the roofs, which were cardboard, on with glue so they could be used only the once. We used flour and water paste to stick the bricks together.

D'you know, I very, very vaguely seem to remember building things with rubber bricks (dark red) but cannot remember any more than that. Is it my imagination? Was there such a product? It would be in the '50s.

I've answered my own question after a Google search. This was a product that I never owned so must have belonged to friends or cousins. - They were 'Minibrix' and looked like Lego, but in rubber. There's some on eBay if you want to have a look or see www.minibrix.com

Remember the burrs very well, a bit like green ears of wheat. Didn't realise 'burrs' must have come from burdock. Viv.

Can you remember decorating in the 50s. They always used to put a trim around the paper on top of the wall. Then there was a craze of decorating the door panels in the same wallpaper. We also used wallpaper to put around our school books to keep them 'nice'

Can you remember decorating in the 50s. They always used to put a trim around the paper on top of the wall. Then there was a craze of decorating the door panels in the same wallpaper. We also used wallpaper to put around our school books to keep them 'nice'

Wallpaper on exercise books - yes, did that!
Re decorating: wasn't there a television DIY person called Barry Bucknell?

We had a border trim at the top of the paper and picture-rails so the pattern didn't have to go up so far, it was cheaper that way! Sloppy whitewash above that.
I miss having a picture-rail, it saved drilling holes!
We had a cutter for taking the margin off the wallpaper, it didn't work, used to spend ages cutting with scissors. I'm glad there's no margin now.
rosie.

And number the pages so you could not rip them out when you made mistakes with your work. Why waste wool making a ball when you could do "corking"
jimbo

Are Goosegogs still about?

If you mean gooseberries, we as kids used to call goosegogs, yes of course they are in season. I used to have a large goosberry bush until a few years ago but it was always difficult picking them because of the spikes on the bush.

Does anyone remember the old ringboards? I think it had a clowns face on it with some hooks on it, each hook had a different number.you threw rubber rings to catch the hooks. The higher the score the better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back