• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Items that have faded away

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Stitcher. Yes the headlines are very interesting. I'm drawn to the one announcing 6s flights to Paris. My great uncle went on to fly planes for Handley Page after he left the RFC. This could well be about those flights. They adapted military planes and they were very basic! Wicker chairs, no safety harnesses etc. Must have been very exciting. If it's about the Handley Page flights, they went on to become Imperial Airways, which in turn became British Airways. Viv.

ll.jpeg----oo.jpg----pp.jpeg
Ooh look, I honestly think the old stars, male and female were better at their jobs, as well as better looking than modern ones, the films were better too.

403047_130463700409840_100003386327582_121868_359181683_n.jpg
Remember the record song book

I didn't know Spangles had disappeared. Loved chock sticks, cherry lips, parma violets, caraway comfits we called ant eggs,love hearts, all tooth rotters. Marvel. Davenports delivered to your door. Mangles for squeezing the water out of clothes and breaking the new plastic buttons.. Also Loved Called The Midwife as I was born in 57. 1001 or 2001? - Cleans a big big carpet for less than half a crown.(My kitchen is still in parts 1940's.) Treats. Bonomints. Bob Martins (for dogs not for me) Ex lax. Yellow Mazellica ointment. Arnica in a green hexagon maybe bottle with a cork. Public Information films. Tankard. Odds on Cocktail. Mothers Pride. Bero flour.Flunkies advertised by Joan Hickson. Jamboree bags. Dr Whites (I hated fetching those) Cossack hair spray, Cougar aftershave. Vitalis. Kensitas. Chipples. I gave away my parents kitchen cabinet 8 years ago, with the drop down bread board, and a cool cabinet lined with metal and one with mesh for meat maybe? Quells. Trutex Toppers.Vileda Supermops.Somebody's little Liver Pills, Little Lion Eggs. Yeoman powdered potato. Creme caramel in a packet you put in a cup, yuk. Haliborange tablets. Bodymist. Sorry for going on,Nico.

Hoovermatic Twin Tubs was mentioned in the first post, It remained me of our first washing machine Mom was so proud of it, it made the wash tub, dolly,and mangle redundant.

Nick
My Granny had a wooden half barrel in the yard on a table. It had a handle which you turned but the agitator went left to right. This contradiction of direction put me in a quandary always. She 'oiled' it with dripping. We also had a wooden carpet sweeper and a Goblin vacum cleaner with little runners like a sleigh. Nico

My gran with the barrel washing machine had a blackened kettle on a fireplace in the kitchen with a bread oven either side, and a purple and gold tasselled over mantle but she cooked on a baby belling. She had these till she died in 66.
The wc was outside. No hot water inside, a stone sink with a wooden drainer. She read massive heavy large print books. She also had a large wireless set about 3feet by 3feet it stood on a table. She wore elasticated bloomers she called her passion killers. I thought that was the real name and embarrassed my teacher when I was 7. (Describe your granny.)
I remember gravy browning, Flash, Vimto, Dandelion and Burdock, refreshers, Lemon Heart Rum, Parkdrive, Brut, Stowaway, Marsh and Baxters, Callard and Bowsers, Funny Faces, Polio charity boxes, PDSA boxes, Nourishing stout, "unzip a banana', 'half a pound of slices of pie hold them in your fingers, lick your fingers and blow in the bag, whoomph! goes your clean food' 'keep airbeds of the sea dial 999 and ask for the coastguard' keep Britain tidy' adverts. My favourites were 'Don't overcrowd your car' and Reginald Molehusband ' that my Leicester mate insists was called Molesworthy, he couldn't park car , 'This man has to steal,' that advert always frightened me,You did say to keep them coming. Nico
Nico

Last edited by a moderator:
Stitcher. I recall that when I worked at Abbotts of Lozells, you could buy a double bed and mattress for £4, and it was a good one too.

Barrie.

Nico, had forgotten Treets, used to like hem. Quells are still around in old fashioned chemists - assuming you mean the travel sickness tablets - now spelt Kwells, but taste the same, got some for my son as he is travel sick!
One from dad - Silvikrin hair tonic - and what do you men use instead of it now?
Sue

Nico, had forgotten Treets, used to like hem. Quells are still around in old fashioned chemists - assuming you mean the travel sickness tablets - now spelt Kwells, but taste the same, got some for my son as he is travel sick!
One from dad - Silvikrin hair tonic - and what do you men use instead of it now?
Sue
Hello Sue, were they spelt Treets? I loved them and Toffets 'make a shilling go a long long way' they were in a box and you shook them out from a hole in the end. I am no longer travel sick but the old cars used to smell. Maybe it was the seats? My grandad used a pale blue lumpy gel in a jar for his hair but I can't remember the name. Dad used Brylcreme it stained everywhere. I don't use anything on my hair, as the fashion now is to have your hair like you have just come through a hedge backwards, I am now fashionable. I remember 'Bags of Jellytots in the Jellytots bag'. Nico

bnb.jpeg
Again not a product in the true sense of the word but there will never be another one.

My Black Country nan had a radio, it was about 4 feet high I think, but I was very small then. The front was yellowish mesh, the cabinet heavy and highly polished wood, a piece of furniture. I liked it whistling through the channels, we listened to Sing Something Simple it, and woman's hour, and Mrs Dale's diary, that nan called Mrs Dale's Dairy. (Starring Jessie Mathews) The top sloped and was covered in thick glass. I had to go to bed early after the Archers and then shipping forecast, Dogger Fisher and German Bight? Mum used to be in Stourbridge Rep, before she was married with Chris Gittings who played Walter Gabriel, and she always mentioned it when the Archers came on, an everyday story for countryfolk.
Nico

Last edited by a moderator:
Me, cos it guzunder the bed.
Grandad used to say the next dance will be a snake dance an all yow ow snaked in can snake out again. I just remembered my snake belt. Remember those. Easy for little boys to do up. Nan used to say the Giziteer and it's me ommer 'ond. Nico.

Yes mikanamart it was Frozoclone or something similar.
My Nan used to love "4711" and I still use the cologne stick in Summer. Goya also used to make it in a rose perfume too.
There used to little bags of "Ashes of Roses" to keep the moths away.
rosie.

My Auntie wore 4711. mum wore Coty L'aimant, you can still get that. Nan had a ladies' cigarette case and smoked 1 a day.
Your memories are stirring up things I want to remember and can't. Grandad used a thing I can't quite remember called permerognant? of potash as he had smelly feet. Gt Gran had a lavendar bag tied round her waist under her dress. Perfume was called scent then. Mum had rouge in a cardboardy purple and white pot which twisted open. Has any one heard the expression ookem floofem? Might be Black Country. Gran used to have Devon Violets scent which was green, in a little bottled shaped like a cottage with the cork stopper as the chimney pot. Nico.

Not on the shelf, but I started off with 'Harold Hare' then progressed to 'Judy' and 'Bunty' then it was 'Jackie'. Don't think any of these are around today. Viv.
I loved Harold Hare and Teddy Bear, they always had a scene and you had to find all the characters in it. And Leo the Lion, think it was Leo.
The man with his hand up Lenny the Lion lived near me in Cov, Terry Hall, he has passed away now. There was a girls comic called Diana I remember.Nico

I Remember Kangaroo butter, Stork was vile. Do they still have Mary Baker? Gales Honey, honey have some honey with me. Nico

Does anyone remember a hand made chocolate shop in Moseley?, my birth mother (probably in the late 50's or early 60's) told me she worked there and she also worked at a place called Brunners? They coated things like candlesticks in imitation silver. She also worked for Typhoo but she got the sack as the paper tea packets went one way and the tea went the other.

My mate wore a dress thing till he went to school it was pinned up and his mum turned it down as he grew. He was born in 58. Do thy still say rompers? I wanted some reins for my grandson and they laughed at me. I had a hernia, still have, mum put a penny on my belly button and bound it round with a bandage. Also remember plastic pants and itchy long woolie trousers called troos. We paid on tick. I also had a litte deerstalker.

Me, cos it guzunder the bed.
Grandad used to say the next dance will be a snake dance an all yow ow snaked in can snake out again. I just remembered my snake belt. Remember those. Easy for little boys to do up. Nan used to say the Giziteer and it's me ommer 'ond. Nico.

While thinking about the snake belt I remembered that as a member of the Lion Club, (the comic, not Lennie !), I had a Lion Club belt, how's about THAT then, Guys & Gals ?

There was mention earlier of men's hair products. For a time blokes of my age used to use "Tapoline", also known as "Corporation 'air Oil".

Would anybody else have had the Liberty Bodice inflicted on them, by the way ?

What about good old fashioned plasters for a cut. I have tried and tried to keep a plaster on my finger since Sunday and cannot tell you the amount I have used. Its all the thin plastic slippy stuff and as soon as you get a little hot or you get it wet they just slide off. Anyone know where you can the old type of stretchy material ones?

While thinking about the snake belt I remembered that as a member of the Lion Club, (the comic, not Lennie !), I had a Lion Club belt, how's about THAT then, Guys & Gals ?

There was mention earlier of men's hair products. For a time blokes of my age used to use "Tapoline", also known as "Corporation 'air Oil".

Would anybody else have had the Liberty Bodice inflicted on them, by the way ?

What's a Lion Club belt then? My friend's mum made her wear some sort of wired corset to make her sit up straight. This has deformed her ribcage so much so that she has a very narrow waist but she does sit very upright. She was born around 1953.

loiu.jpeg
This advert is from the 1920s but no doubt the products carried on after that decade.

My grandfather had one of these in his shed. It might well have been from the 1920s though

Last edited:
A good job this one faded away, as the "ethyl" was the lead additive which more recently was found to be harmful to, particularly, children

View attachment 75156
This advert is from the 1920s but no doubt the products carried on after that decade.
Don't you regret chucking things out? When mum and dad sold their kitchen cabinet they forgot 2 old gas board and electric board appliance books and recipes were in there. Curry was in there as a recipe. I remember the heater shown above. We have an old stove in the garage it's blue or was blue ceramic and mice live in it.
When they got married they had 2 books on good housekeeping which I gave away. They were really fashionable, hay box cookery and styles in fashion now. Practical goat keeping. How to make things that were useful like fancy dress costumes, clothes, cushions. What hair style suits your face, what glasses suit your face. They should have them now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back