• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

In The Kitchen Today

What Valentine Robert?. No we went out for a meal today instead I have my past now not angel hair but is much thinner than my other so will give it a go next week when I have some garlic. Jean.

Going to Perry Barr tomorrow Robert where there is a large Asian store where the furniture place used to be. Can't remember the name. Have a few things to buy spice wise. Your recipe is still in favourites as is the soda cake Dave M gave me. Thanks. TTFN. Jean.

We as a family love Asian food. The supermarket we all use is Pac on the Washwood Heath Road. Funnily enough it's built on what used to be Washwood Heath bus garage where Michael worked in the 60's. The produce is very good and a lot cheaper than places like Asda.

Jean and Bernie, was that an in joke as I couldn't see any recipe of Rick Steins??? have you had a go yet Jean, we had some nice food while Mel was here, sent for a good easy Turkish cook book from Amazon going to have a go, there food don't seem to be as fattening as you don't have piles of potatoes ect with things just a great salad full of pulses herbs and cheeses. Need them to loose this flaming weight, I just cant shift this extra half a stone I have acquired, never had a problem before getting it off but this time it just wont shift.

I agree Wendy Pak is very good, I bought some really good quality pots there very reasonably priced, they are uncoated but I was advised that if you rub some cooking oil into the inside of the pot and place it into the oven on a low setting for 2-3 hours it would then be 'seasoned' and nothing will stick to it. They even sell replacement rubber seals for pressure cookers, fantastic!!

Macca

Patty Bernie does not remember putting that blank recipe on he has just IM'D me. Wendy I don't buy spices from the large supermarkets either and go either to Birchfield or Slade road for mine. Jean.

I guess you could substitute the sultanas for something else [say chopped up dates maybe] Jean. I was talking to someone the other day who cannot eat anything that contains currants as they give her stomach trouble. She is however OK with Sultanas and with Raisins.

Thanks Bernie but fruit and meat do not go together with Pete. He won't even eat them in a rice dish I did. Thanks all the same. He loves fruit and has a big orange every day. Jean.

Yesterday I thought I would cook chicken in black bean sauce so I diced the chicken breast finely cut the carots onions mushrooms and opened the packet of beansprouts. Guess what I forgot to pick the black bean sauce up at Aldi. Well I did pick it up and put it back again. WHAT A PLONKA?. I phoned for a home delivery instead. Jean.

Last edited:
Never mind jean i think we all have our moments. I thought i made a mistake once but i was wrong. Dek

I like that Dek. Pete is at his old mate Alan Kitchens funeral at the moment and am cooking Irish stew put the bread in the oven with the sausage rolls. He will be ready for it when he gets back I'm sure. Alans brother is a member of the forum MSGK [MIKE] and I have posted a message of condolence. Jean.

I did a chilli for myself today as Pete does not like it and I used a sauce called DYNAMITE well if you have never tried it DON'T it will carry on cooking inside you and I love hot spicy food. Jean.

Hi Jean,

The nicest chili sauce I've ever used is the Paul Newman one, I've tried most of the ones in jars. Yours looks lovely.

macca

Macca will look out for the Paul Newman one. Went to Londi's yesterday and bought a large tub of creamy Greek yoghurt. I have whipped some cream [equall amount] but only till it's smooth not stiff blended it in the yoghurt and have sprinkled light brown sugar ontop. It is now in the fridge and will stay there till later to allow the sugar to melt into the mixture. I love it and can be greedy if I let myself. So easy to do. You can serve it with fruit but I love it as it comes. Jean.

Today I am doing Lancashire Hotpot and a trifle with fresh fruit. I wanted to do lime jelly but the gaffa insists it has to be strawberry. I went to sort out the blancmange and only had chocolate or vanilla so vanilla it is with red colouring. He will think it is strawberry [I HOPE]. I put a pear apple plum grapes and a mandarin orange in. Almost finished it and have to whip the cream and tart it up on top. Jean.

Patty I will have a small portion of the trifle and the hotpot. Done some veg too. You know you were on about soup on the phone well in the market Perry Barr I bought six meaty chicken frames for 25p and he gave me another three free. I use them to do the stock for the gravy and pick the meat off for the dog. OH!!!!! Pat would I put my trifle on to torment you??????. No I am just being a good wifey and did promise I would after he had an Iceland one and said her preferred a home made one. Mind you who wouldn't?. TTFN off to watch the news. Jean.

This is my trifle just got to top it with some more fresh fruit. Don't like all those thousand and ones etc. The hotpot went down a treat. Jean.

Am taking some round to the family tomorrow. Just put mandarin oranges red and green grapes on top and made a leaf of angelica in the middle. One large portion has gone allready. I won't bother tonight as I am not in the mood [for sweet things]. Jean.

A few bits I did for our BBQ at the van on Friday. Jean. OOOOPS I forgot to upload them.

Last edited:
Back