• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

In the garden 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
Although looking a wee bit lonely in the empty bed, the Mahonia is in flower (again).

We did leave some bedding in, and even that is showing some colour.

Nothing has been watered for weeks, other than by rainfall.

I don't recall having flowers like this, so late in the year.

Steve.

Although looking a wee bit lonely in the empty bed, the Mahonia is in flower (again).

We did leave some bedding in, and even that is showing some colour.

Nothing has been watered for weeks, other than by rainfall.

I don't recall having flowers like this, so late in the year.

Steve.
:heart_eyes:

Our leaves are falling, beautiful colours, Virginia creeper a rich red, the little red leaved tree Janice told me the name of and I have forgotten's leaves are a deep ruby red, we are pelted with a glut of acorns, they ping constantly on Barmy's ramshackle sheds and old cars and rusty plant machinery . His neighbour is going to see him, with another neighbour as Barmy's fir tree next to the neighbour's house is leaning. I hope I am around.The last pigeons have fledged, a magpie has discovered the little house feeder, how to keep him out. The 3 months early jasmine is in full bloom. We still have Esthereeds, Penstemans, petunias, snap dragons. the elephants ears are opening up, roses, hydrangea, not a lot but little splashes of colour. Nice neighbours' red apples are falling in to ours, we do the same and leave for the birds under our old apple tree. Nice splashes of spiked speedwell too.

Can't remember if it was an acer or a berberis?

Mahonia has leaves a bit like holly and lovely yellow spikes of flowers in winter. (Mine just showing tinges of yellow).
Pedrocut's photo last year

Last edited:
Can't remember if it was an acer or a berberis?

Mahonia has leaves a bit like holly and lovely yellow spikes of flowers in winter. (Mine just showing tinges of yellow).
Pedrocut's photo last year
Ours don't scream but they make funny noises, any screaming IS from the local lunatics. I think we have mahonia then but flowers not, in the winter, but I will look and see if it does. I can't look at my old account now to see what you told me Janice. It's not an acer I will look up berberis. The flowers are pink and delicate. Ours is a bit feeble compared to the ones in books as Barmy hacked it but it survived.

Our leaves are falling, beautiful colours, Virginia creeper a rich red, the little red leaved tree Janice told me the name of and I have forgotten's leaves are a deep ruby red, we are pelted with a glut of acorns, they ping constantly on Barmy's ramshackle sheds and old cars and rusty plant machinery . His neighbour is going to see him, with another neighbour as Barmy's fir tree next to the neighbour's house is leaning. I hope I am around.The last pigeons have fledged, a magpie has discovered the little house feeder, how to keep him out. The 3 months early jasmine is in full bloom. We still have Esthereeds, Penstemans, petunias, snap dragons. the elephants ears are opening up, roses, hydrangea, not a lot but little splashes of colour. Nice neighbours' red apples are falling in to ours, we do the same and leave for the birds under our old apple tree. Nice splashes of spiked speedwell too.

Nico your entry reminds me of…

The Country Diary of an Edwardian Lady​

I have managed to remove a plastic seed feeder from inside the squirrel proof feeder and dismantled a non squirrel proof metal peanut feeder and inserted it inside. To save a bit of money. I am now trying to think how to deter the magpie from the little wooden house feeder without deterring the blackbirds and starlings. I need a hinged wire encasement!!! I saw one once on TV that when heavier birds perch on it, it closes.
My reddish leafed pink flowered shrub might be a plum cherry which has a fancy name Summat Pissi. Not sure though.

Not so much in the garden but more in the loft (but they are connected!)

The junk expands and another storage area needs to be opened up. This is what I find this morning.

!cid_32BB8995-C51C-44FA-A8B0-1B1F0F006CE1.jpg

How do such tiny creatures create something so huge? And why should they need to?

Should appreciate any advice for disposal. A powerful vacuum cleaner? I assume there is virtually no one in residence - or won't be after a few more frosts.

Chris

Not so much in the garden but more in the loft (but they are connected!)

The junk expands and another storage area needs to be opened up. This what I find this morning.

View attachment 174367

How do such tiny creatures create something so huge? And why should they need to?

Should appreciate any advice for disposal. A powerful vacuum cleaner? I assume there is virtually no one in residence - or won't be after a few more frosts.

Chris
i have them in my out house. some time the queen wasp is in one so bee carefull.i just put a bucket uder them and knock them off and put the lid on quick,then put it in the dustbin

Queen wasps hibernate over-winter and emerge to build a nest in the spring. The nest will usually be located either in the ground or in cavities in trees, walls or buildings. Frequently wasps will nest in the roof space of a house

1667204339847.pngi saw a lot of wasp flying in a vent in the soffit.so i opend a small hatch into the loft.when i shone the lamp there was a huge nest,so i called the council.after a while a big man called to check it out he said i cant get in to do any thing in the loft the hatch is too small, i said its no your too large.he then went out side and got a small sprayer from his van squirted some what ever in the hole and departed. 2 days later i got a bill for £44 off the council. the wasps was still ther a week later, so i got some wasp nest foam remover £5 flebay squirted it in the hole job done. bet the £44 was for calling him too large

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back