• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

In the garden 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
There was a par 3 9 hole course but its been abandoned now and is all overgrown
I remember being on the first tee. My father took aim with his wedge as the holes were only 90/100 metres. As he struck the ball he sliced it, the ball went up the path towards the club house missed a woman’s head by a fraction and ricocheted off a tree. We used to play that little coarse regular. Swanshurst had a lovely cafe and boating house.

Well had a look over the fence to allotments. I know it was a battle but I did get a decent crop of French beans and Runner beans.
It seems most on the adjacent allotments beans never made it to the to
The wind has been knocking my tomatoes about but there's still quite a few growing...

View attachment 173577 View attachment 173578
MWS I don't know what tomatoes you've grown this year I had Alicante at home six plants reasonable crop , around the allotment I had five Summerlast tomato plants . I can honestly say after paying out just over £2 for six seeds I was appalled , I soon forrgot the gripe when we started harvesting , I can honestly say I've nevver seen so many toms in all my growing days .
p of the canes.
So not a great year but it could have been worse.
TDL Beans , courgettes by the barrowload for us off the allotment rhis year

TDL Beans , courgettes by the barrowload for us off the allotment rhis year
Now what a funny year, I have Shallots bigger than I have ever had before, so big I think I am going to have to buy some smaller ones if I can find them to fill the space up in the jars or there will only be two per layer. One Jar is filled ok as it is a 1.5 litre Kilner Jar which is square so I got four per layer in.

my dad got cuttings from everywere he went if he like the plant out come his small scissers and snip. and 90% of the cuttings took bless him:grinning:
I remember going into Fushia Vale with an older guy. He went around the Fushias telling me about them, this one here he would say needs the tips pinching out and he slowed me how to do it. On leaving we got to his van he got a small plastic bag from the side door. He took out all the leaves he had pinched out put them in the plastic bag and said I will separate those cuttings and plant them up when I get home. The same guy said one day as I was about to go up Stourport High St, where you going, I said get some sprouts for Christmas day. He said don't bother I will get you a bag on Christmas Eve from my mate in Astley Burf. Christmas Eve true to his word he turns up with a bag of pristine sprouts. What do I owe your mate , nothing he replies. I still wonder to this day where those sprouts came from.

Lots of berries on the firethorn, I hope it doesn't mean a hard Winter, the pigeons are eating the berries but it's usually other birds and magpies. A magpie was pecking at the window this morning and made me jump, I suppose there are bugs in a corner spider web.
rosie.

Lots of berries on the firethorn, I hope it doesn't mean a hard Winter, the pigeons are eating the berries but it's usually other birds and magpies. A magpie was pecking at the window this morning and made me jump, I suppose there are bugs in a corner spider web.
rosie.
the pigeons are making the most of it while they can.. they sure get bullied by the other birds

Where I live in Chelmsley Wood there are numerous public fruit trees and during my dog walks around this time of year and earlier I see apples, pears, plums and even cherries lying on the ground rotting away, it's such a shame, this would not have happened years ago. I have my share, the pears, big yellow ones are particularly tasty. Also loads of blackberries in the woods and alongside the river, once again nobody picking them (except me) Eric

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back