• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

In the garden 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
I read about a father and son encounter on Big Cat Conversations. Not fishing either must be a different one, I can't open you link. But, The father said the press totally distorted what he said, like it was stalking his son, it wasn't. But he did see one. It wasn't in a garden either.

Lemon juice and water mixed keeps spiders in the garden and out of the house.You can use it indoors along window sills, pipes and other openings its an easy trick to try that should keep potential houseguests at bay whilst not causing harm to the spiders :grinning:
1663484856150.png

Wind still out of the North here, but easing slightly. Too late to save my plants, I'm afraid.

Honeysuckle leaves are all black. : unamused:

What the wind hasn't done for, the sea spray has. :mad:

We can usually get into October before the low night time temperatures hit, but not this season.

Steve.

Wind still out of the North here, but easing slightly. Too late to save my plants, I'm afraid.

Honeysuckle leaves are all black. : unamused:

What the wind hasn't done for, the sea spray has. :mad:

We can usually get into October before the low night time temperatures hit, but not this season.

Steve.
Lemon juice and water mixed keeps spiders in the garden and out of the house.You can use it indoors along window sills, pipes and other openings its an easy trick to try that should keep potential houseguests at bay whilst not causing harm to the spiders :grinning:
View attachment 173140
I love spiders. They are not going to kill you.

I was told spiders in the house means your house is not damp, I had that conversation with a house buyer once. They bought it and we had plots of spiders. I was told never to kill spiders as a child, so I try not to know. If you want to live and thrive let the spider run alive. We always get a lot of fat ones in the garden in the autumn and the sun makes their webs magical. Lady birds coming in too. And woodlice.I thought it was woodle 'ouse as a child, spydahs and earywigs we get those too.

dont know what happened with my calla lilys this year...i had all the leaves come out but only 4 flowers...last year it was magnificent producing at least 22 flowers..the only thing i can think of was the extreme heat..having said that i was watering them..during a normal summer they need very little water...hopefully they will do me proud next season

lyn

Got my winter woolies on, heat on etc etc, but it's warmer outside. Flowers we do have are a bit stunted, all shorter than they should be. Nasturtiums making a comeback lots of blight on them this year but that is what people originally planted them for. No sign of toadstools which is strange. We did get this weired stuff it looks like a mass of snail trails but more of a carpet which looks like Bostik, transparent so it does not photograph well. It's always in the same place near what used to be a tree stump, which now supports bracken. Has anybody any ideas about see through fungus

1663924121293.pngfirst time i have seen a double rainbow over my hovel is this morning

Double rainbows are formed when sunlight is reflected twice within a raindrop with the violet light that reaches the observers eye coming from the higher raindrops and the red light from lower raindrops.

Well had a look over the fence to allotments. I know it was a battle but I did get a decent crop of French beans and Runner beans.
It seems most on the adjacent allotments beans never made it to the top of the canes.
So not a great year but it could have been worse.

Stripping ivy from the wall Saturday afternoon I managed to cut through the telephone land line. I have had a couple of days without all the benefits of fibre. No kindle, Alexa, BHF, Facebook etcetera, etcetera. But at eight am a fresh faced young man arrived and has now reconnected me to the world. Lots of catching up to do!

A bit of info on avian flu from the BBC Countryside magazine....

"The latest wave of avian flu descends from the H5N1 strain of avian influenza that originally arrived in the UK in 2005/06, most likely from dense poultry and geese farms in China and South East Asia….
...Not only is avian flu likely to have originated in Asian poultry farms and arrived via processed and air freighted meat but current game-hunting practices may compound the problem. Ornithologists have expressed disquiet at the widespread import of game birds from France for the shooting industry, because the major breeding sites for pheasants and partridges in the Vendée and Loire-Atlantique have been affected by avian flu."

I can't open your link but I grew up with my grandparents' warnings and tales, what to touch and what not to touch and if you are not sure ask and if we are not there then don't touch anything.! Along with a tale of someone who disobeyed and came to a sticky end. Like Toadstools, deadly nightshade, laburnum, cuckoo pint, stingers (nettles) bogeymans plaything, ferns, vegetables growing in fields , berries, jellyfish etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back