• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

IN OUR GARDEN 2024

Looks like some kind of lily.
Thought I recognised it - sold in shops in a variety of colours as alstroemeria. Also known as Peruvian lily.

(I didn't know so used a plant identifier sits I use for wildflowers).

Yes, Janice, I think that is it.

Interesting that it is also known as Lily of the Incas, because, my dog in the last but one picture, is called Inca.

Steve.

Definitely lilies - just the plant apps can't agree what sort.

Just checked and they all seem to be alternative names for the same plant.

Maybe they are Alstroemeria but the leaves look too long to me. I have not grown them before but only last week bought three. I was amazed at how many varieties there are, but on Proctors Nursery list where we had ours from, they have over thirty varieties

Maybe they are Alstroemeria but the leaves look too long to me. I have not grown them before but only last week bought three. I was amazed at how many varieties there are, but on Proctors Nursery list where we had ours from, they have over thirty varieties
As far as i know, only Oriental lilies are scented. I have several & they have a heady scent. Asian lilies look the same but have no scent.

A dreadful day up here. Very, very, wet and windy.
But, yesterday was quite the opposite, so I snapped a few pictures, in the first sunny day for over a week.

The best sight of all, is a flower forming on my Lacecap.

Considering that I almost binned it when it dried out, I am delighted.

Steve.

I made red currant jelly last year, this year I've watched the sparrows pick the plant clean. no plums at all this year on the usually full crop tree, birds haven't had them they just haven't come.

Back