• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

IN OUR GARDEN 2024

I have a big buddlea next to my window, that was covered in butterflies last year. Hardly any this year

Surprise to say, the two Petunias that were getting hammered by snails, have done well, after having killed over forty snails off the two pots. I stopped counting at forty. :D

And, my late sown poppy seeds will produce some flowers this coming week.

The Buddleia is attracting what little life there is about.

Steve.

Glad to see your Petunias have survived Steve, they look lovely. As far as your poppy seeds are concerned what do you do. We have a large red poppy which everyone admires but we [and a neighbour] have tried all ways to get new plants from the seeds without success

For those who read my post about the baby hedgehog at the end of June

Here is an update. He is living with his human foster mom in Stoke Priors (near Bromsgrove) and is on "slow release" (allowed to roam the garden in the day but still shut in at night). He will then be allowed to roam as he wants and will stay or wander off - his choice. He was named Charlie (they all have a name while in care).
Aug 5th (1).jpgAug 5th (4).jpg

Glad to see your Petunias have survived Steve, they look lovely. As far as your poppy seeds are concerned what do you do. We have a large red poppy which everyone admires but we [and a neighbour] have tried all ways to get new plants from the seeds without success

Sooner than I thought, this greeted me this morning.

I have never tried to grow them before. I collected seed heads last year, let them dry, and took the seeds out. My intention was to sow some in the garden this Spring, but the weather was so dreadful, I did not bother. It was June when I sowed a few seeds in an Urn planter, to see if they would at least germinate. And they did!

Steve

Collected seeds from two poppies last autumn and sowed them three weeks ago.
Poppies.jpg
Seeds should be sprinkled onto damp compost and lightly pressed in but must not be covered.

Bought some lovely red flowering lobelia plants yesterday. It wasn't until we got them home and read up on them that we realised just how toxic and poisonous they are, so I'm afraid they won't be pride of place in the border!!

Back