• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

IN OUR GARDEN 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
View attachment 179968
This is the pine tree we have lost this past winter. The cost to remove, grind the stump ready for replanting, took the saliva out of my mouth! Our community has quite strict landscaping requirements, so we are currently trying to select its replacement, hopefully a Japanese maple.

We just returned from the garden center after taking inventory so far of what we need to replace: 12 Laurels, 10 box wood two very tall Arborvitaes. There are a few more but our neighbor who is a Master Gardner said to wat two or three more weeks, which we will.
PS We found out what inflation was all about at the garden center!!!
It is surprising what can come back after a very severe frost. Some years ago I had a lovingly clipped bay tree that was a focal centre for the garden. It looked completely dead but eventually began to get new shoots which soon filled it out again.

It is surprising what can come back after a very severe frost. Some years ago I had a lovingly clipped bay tree that was a focal centre for the garden. It looked completely dead but eventually began to get new shoots which soon filled it out again.
We are keeping our fingers crossed! We are already seeing some signs of life but the pine and Laurels are not looking very well. We were told to scratch near the base and see if there looks like any signs of life, so far not so good!

I moved 26 years ago and the garden had no plants whatsoever, the owners were not into gardening.
Over the years I have spent many pounds and many hours creating my beautiful garden.
My husband knew this part of the world many many years ago , he passed Bacons End to go to Coleshill , he remembers the masses of bluebells in the fields and woods.
This Spring my garden is full of them ,I have never planted any and they have never been here before.
They are very pretty but a bit invasive around my shrubs and plants.
How they came to be here is a mystery.
Hello Alberta,
I'd recommend taking the advice offered by 'Brummie a long time ago' in Post#417 and try to identify whether you have UK or Spanish bluebells growing. The reason is that my wife, who is a keen gardener and likes bluebells, knows growing the UK variety is difficult and so about four years ago bought some Spanish bluebells - they grew well and looked great.
But, they are VERY invasive, and difficult (if not impossible) to remove. After realising this we began to dig them up (we try not to use any chemicals in the garden, so it was literally that, dig them up).
We are still digging them up this year, they have been too successful and invaded and spread over much of the garden (so I wonder whether yours have arrived from a nearby garden?).
The problem with them that they root very deeply (over 4 feet) and also seem to often go beneath existing plants that we do not want to disturb. When trying to remove them, leaving any shred of root or bulb results in yet more plants again the following year.
A short summary of all the above would be to say - if they are Spanish bluebells, get rid of them now while you can!

A sting from an Asian hornet will be painful and may result in anaphylaxis, which can be life-threatening, but is treatable if action is taken quickl
Just to labour the point. I knew someone susceptible to this. There are lots of causes but if someone does suffer, it is a medical emergency. If they know about it, they will probably carry an epipen, which should be used into the thigh muscle. Having done that, it is still medically urgent, even if they seem to be getting better. Effects from a sting can start within a couple of minutes to half an hour.
Sorry to push it a bit, I have seen it.
Andrew.

when i went to the shops a sparrow flew into my car,i stopped and picked it up off the rd to take it home and bury it. i put it in me hat when i got home i felt a heartbeat so i waited, i put it in the caravan in the garden after a few hour i checked on it. opened me hat and it flew out and i let it out the window:grinning:

Lawn trimmed earlier and made a start on a proper cut (rather than a trim) round the stepping stones on the lawn. Pic shows one tidied and one still to do.
I topped up the seed feeder and put down mealworms and fat pellets for the robin but a sparrow came to join me. Also took a general view as the white blossom and red pieris make a nice contrast.

Attachments

• Stepping stones.jpg
    Stepping stones.jpg
    687.1 KB · Views: 15
  • Sparrow.JPG
    Sparrow.JPG
    133.4 KB · Views: 15
  • garden.JPG
    garden.JPG
    545.1 KB · Views: 15
Lawn trimmed earlier and made a start on a proper cut (rather than a trim) round the stepping stones on the lawn. Pic shows one tidied and one still to do.
I topped up the seed feeder and put down mealworms and fat pellets for the robin but a sparrow came to join me. Also took a general view as the white blossom and red pieris make a nice contrast.

nice photos jan

Nice photos and garden Jan!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back