• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Icknield port road

• Thread starter Thread starter webbloke
  • Start date Start date
Hello , just seen your input on

HELLO,I JUST CAME ACROSS THIS INPUT AS REGARDS (THE FELLOWS FAMILY) LIVING IN LADYWOOD, WE LIVED IN THE PORT UNTIL REHOUSED IN THE EARLY FIFTIES!, and we are fellows, I have done some Genealogy & we had a John Fellows , Im wondering if we are related ?. Melvyn Fellows.
Are you from Fellows Moreton and Clayton families? they were the canal boat company, my husbands family were all canal boatmen and women he was the first born on land

Lyn great picture's yet again . when I started secondary school 1960-64 in the art class on a Monday afternoon I sat next to a girl from Icknield Port Rd . I was that smitten that I saved a couple of coppers from the weekend and bought a packet of fruit gums with a little love letter I wrote stuck between the wrapper . Needless to say at that age my heart was thumping , alas the gums were eaten but nothing came of it . I saw the same young lady outside the Locarno in about 1966 , needless to say the throb wasn't there this time , someone else had stolen my heart .
The photos of Icknield port road brought back lot of memories. Thank you so much. Keep up the great work. x

hi viv think i have seen that one before probably on another thread...its a great photo..so typical of life in the 60s and one that brings back happy memories for me...

lyn

Lyn, the pic was in that pile of Evening Mail newspapers which you scanned in 2009 and were all lost when the forum was hacked in 2011...

Yet another interesting thread. I do however need help. When I left school in 1946 I worked in the Lab. at McKecknie brothers, Brass Founders, which I'm sure was in Icknield Port Road. Is this correct? I'm afraid the mind is not as good as it was

Johnny
The official address in the 1946 Kellys was Rotten Park St, but the works were on the corner of Icknield Park Road, so there was likely to be an entrance there also

Yes she is 71 still going strong! How do you know my sister? Love to hear all about it!!!!
Philomena thanks for replying , if you read my friends post Nov 8 2020, about a girl and fruit gums you'll understand he fancied your sister dead strong . He always gave her the fruit gums in the art class , my friend said Barbara used to make his heart flutter everyday .

I was born 109 Icknield Port road. 1961. I was the youngest of six. Mcmahon. There was a news agents shop few doors up called the Prices. Next to there was the gates to the Reservoir. Lots of days spent there. Our houses was owned by British waterways. Up the road was coxs bakers & across from there was summer field crescent. Mr browns the grocers & post office. Next to him was the shoe repairs. Joans the hairdressers were my sister worked. Ada's sweet shop. Would love to see photos if any one has some of that part of Icknield port rd. Would like to see them? Thank you.
My great grandparents at lived at no 109 Icknield Port Rd according to the 1891 census. Is the house still there or did it get pulled down?

Back